Help support TMP

"HOW ABOUT An Ootheca, For An Insectoid Spaceship?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

Back to the Scratchbuilding Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

589 hits since 11 May 2018
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 2:51 a.m. PST

Would it make sense to make it look like a giant insect egg-case?

link

picture

picture

I've been toying for quite a while with the idea of making an insectoid ship for my 15mm Rebel Minis Manth Aliens:

picture

link
link
rebelminis.com/15mainpa.html

I would want it to be no wider than 9 inches and no longer than 12 inches. So I'm already looking at using 2 shallow oval bowls that might be made to fit together:

auction

The hard part is coming up with a way to add ridges and other bug-worthy textures to the outside of the plastic bowls. Should the texture look symmetrical or not?

And what do you suggest I use? Adhesive foam stickers? Hot glue patterns? Something else?

Thoughts?

Dan
TMP link
TMP link

stephen m11 May 2018 4:52 a.m. PST

I seem to remember bowls shaped like those bug cases were popular for snacks on coffee tables back in the late '60s to '70s. Maybe start going to yard sales.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 9:38 a.m. PST

How about using a foam cutter and a chunk of foam.

Gokiburi11 May 2018 10:07 a.m. PST

Instead of being the ship itself, I'd be inclined to make the ootheca a troop section that attaches to the rear of your dropship cockroach-style. Each "egg" would be a drop pod blister that could detach for aerial drops. I imagine it would be a bit like the racks of a Star Wars MTT, but with protective skin/shell around the pods.
I wonder if brazil nuts get large enough that you could use the shells or cast them, because they certainly resemble some oothecae.

As for the ship, something a vaguely resembling a plump, wingless, heavily sclerotized cockroach might work (say hissing or oriental). Legs as landing gear are optional. The shape could even be as simple as a TNG Tin Man with chitinous armor if you wanted.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 10:40 a.m. PST

Dan have you thought about something like this?

picture

picture

link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 11:04 a.m. PST

@Bashytubits: "How about using a foam cutter and a chunk of foam"

That might actually end up being the easiest option! Okay, maybe with the floor made out of MDF, for some strength and stability?

@Gokiburi, that TNG "Tin Man" ship is very tempting!

Dan
link

picture

picture

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 11:47 a.m. PST

Just wanted to say, in spite of an interesting idea, I've squished TOO many roaches that popped out that second piccie for me to even consider putting such a thing on the table.

More power to you, as always, Dan. ;->=

Doug

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP11 May 2018 12:14 p.m. PST

Doug

I don't think my wife would be too thrilled with that one particular design either. :)

Dan

tsofian Sponsoring Member of TMP11 May 2018 12:33 p.m. PST

In HQC the Sea and Air Hives are both of similar shapes to these

YouTube link

Terry

zrunelord12 May 2018 3:06 a.m. PST

Dan nature can supply all your needs.
Don't know if you are mobile or not yet my friend , so don't be offended … but a walk around the countryside will yield empty insect shells,seed pods etc which can easily be moulded , modified & cast to build whatever you need.

Or build out of green stuff.

Check out also my snake men vehicle post, should be helpful.
link

Or look for dried flowers etc online, if you can't find anything … no one can 😉.
You're our online 'kool' things provider.🖒🖒🖒 😆😆

Z

wakenney12 May 2018 9:17 a.m. PST

Instead of the bowls idea, have you looked at the container that Tide PODS come in? It meets your specs and is close in shape.

For the ridges, I would be tempted to try tying something around it. You can find flat plastic strips at craft stores. They are thicker than string but narrower than ribbon. If you get that and lay it in a knot pattern called a common 3-strang cockscomb, you will get the pattern on that first image you posted.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2018 3:26 p.m. PST

Wakenney: "have you looked at the container that Tide PODS come in?"

No idea what those look like. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.