Help support TMP

""Best Little HO House" (In Plastic) For 15mm Farmers?" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

3,820 hits since 1 Nov 2011
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2011 8:52 p.m. PST

You know I mean HO scale, right?

Anyway, Grey Aliens are planning to pay some farmers a "quickie" visit . . .

TMP link

A) First of all, does anyone recognize who manufactures this little HO house by the tracks?

picture

link

This other one looked nice, but had no porch to lounge about:

link

B) OR . . . do you have a recommendation of your own, for a plastic kit for a small farm house suitable for 15mm residents?

Thanks,

Dan
TMP link
TMP link

ScoutII Inactive Member02 Nov 2011 9:53 p.m. PST
Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2011 9:57 p.m. PST

Wow. That one almost looks like the one in "Signs". Very cool!!!

picture

link

Dan

Early morning writer Inactive Member02 Nov 2011 10:05 p.m. PST

Dan, HO is going to be a bit big for 15 mm (even 18 mm). There are some very nice resin models in 15 mm – check out Stone Mountain Miniatures, Musket Miniatures, and Hovels for starters. Go to their ACW ranges. And give the new Blue Moon horror buildings a look over. Have you seen their Victorian – spectacular. And how's the arm healing, by the way?

Psyckosama Inactive Member03 Nov 2011 12:50 a.m. PST

HO is just fine for 15mm, esp when the figures are based.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2011 2:29 a.m. PST

Agreed – the airfix mile fort (for example) is fine for 15mm Romans (on bases).

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2011 5:16 a.m. PST

One other suggestion, the really cheap and small kits by companies like Bachman are often a bit undersized in that the overall footprint is smaller than you might expect. They are kind of beginner type kits, but they will look even better alongside 15mm than some of the more true-scale HO stuff with a larger footprint.

Here's one that I had as a kid.

picture

And only 14 bucks! link

In general, I tend to agree with Psyckosama in as much as scale can be extremeley relative depending on how big the entrances are, and how your figures are based.

Here's an HO building that I use for 28mm!
link

picture

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member03 Nov 2011 5:43 a.m. PST

The Walther's catalog is your friend. walthers.com Best part is the ability to search not only by scale or category, but also by what's currently in stock and on sale.

Doug

Quadratus Inactive Member03 Nov 2011 6:51 a.m. PST

Man,

That title cracked me up. I love me a good chuckle with dorky gaming references :)

Thanks Caribe!

Personal logo miniMo Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2011 7:01 a.m. PST

Walthers is the biggest industry-wide catalog. But they do charge premium prices. On the other hand, if you have a local model railroad shop, you can order through them and not pay shipping.

Online shopping for American kits is generally better through places like: link

And never order European kits through Walthers! Go to Reynaulds or EuroRail for much better prices.

Thornhammer Inactive Member03 Nov 2011 7:08 a.m. PST

CC, I'd say that is a Life-Like General Store with a few minor modifications.

Look here for a pic: link

Also, if you search for "HO General Store" on eBay, one of the auctions towards the top has a pretty good picture of the thing out of the box and assembled. Looks like the one in your picture leaves off the upper portion of the roof with the additional windows, but other than that it is ia dead ringer.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP03 Nov 2011 9:44 a.m. PST

Thornhammer,

That general store looks sweet!!! I think I can make the minor modifications. Thanks so much.

I like this picture here, as it shows 15mm figures inside a plastic HO structure:

picture

Source:
link
TMP link

It's exactly what I would love to be able to do with my 15mm figures. That's also part of why I would really like to find a one story or 1 1/2 story farm house and not something big.

PS. Quadratus, you da man!!! I'm glad someone finally mentioned the title, particularly since it took me quite a while to come up with it. :)

Ditto Tango 2 3 Inactive Member03 Nov 2011 3:02 p.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2011 7:06 p.m. PST

Tim,

That's quite a rural mansion! Wow.

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP20 Nov 2011 11:15 p.m. PST

I've bid on several models on ebay these last couple of weeks, but haven't been lucky at all.

Well, if I can't get my hands on a small farm house (plastic, HO), I guess I could always dig up a little diner kit I have and try to make something like this instead:

picture

Then, instead of a farm and fields out in the country, I could game a scenario where Greys or other aliens escape Area 51 and show up at a desert establishment, or something like that.

Dan

Ghostrunner21 Nov 2011 7:16 a.m. PST

No ideas how to answer your question, but I have to say the thread title cracked me up.

Now I can't get Dom DeLuise singing out of my head…

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP29 Feb 2012 5:22 p.m. PST

For something like this . . .

picture

The suggestions on these other threads might be useful:

TMP link
TMP link

Either way, I might use a design like this one to work out the terrain:

picture

Dan

deviantsaint Inactive Member01 Mar 2012 7:03 a.m. PST

You might wanna head over to a HO railroad site and poke around. Lots of plans laying around to scratchbuild your own.
Here's one site. link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2012 9:59 a.m. PST

Wow. Those look nice!

Thanks,

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2012 4:22 p.m. PST

Coming soon to a farm not-so-near you . . .

picture

link

link

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2012 3:59 p.m. PST

Update:

I keep looking for deals for a one-story little farm house, like the one in the first pic, but keep coming empty. I tried a few ebay auctions but the bidding went through the roof.

Now I can't believe I'm contemplating building my own, out of styrene sheets, but using these free paper HO models as templates only:

link
buildyourownmainstreet.org

Even though it's supposed to be a small store, I think it can work quite well as a small farm house.

What do you guys think? Is this the road to madness?

Dan
PS. By the way, is Illinois the only US state that has a historical society with free HO templates, like the above, of their historic buildings?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP02 Feb 2014 1:42 p.m. PST

Guys,

Is this one cute or what? Do you think it's simple enough for a first-timer like me?

picture

link

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP14 May 2018 7:41 p.m. PST

By the way, Illinois has moved their cabins here:

link

Dan

zrunelord16 May 2018 9:58 a.m. PST

how about these,
Not Plastic but very rewarding to do.

Matchstick ones….

instructables.com/id/750-matchsticks-house

Z

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP16 Jun 2018 12:41 a.m. PST

A couple of these pre-painted MDF ones might work too:

link
TMP link

Dan

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.