Help support TMP

"Wargames Factory Roman scale comparison" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

2,112 hits since 27 Apr 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Trevy the Great Inactive Member27 Apr 2010 4:17 a.m. PST

Hey everyone!
I'm looking for alternate models for a Warhammer army that I'm planning on based off of the Roman empire. Unfortunately, I've discovered to my chagrin that many warhames manufacturer's scales are quite a bit smaller than Games-Workshop's "Heroic Scale" minis. Warlord Game's Romans, for example, are reputed to be 28mm tall but are more along the lines of 24-26mm, which looks jarring in comparison to the 30mm Warhammer plastics.
I've been looking into Wargames Factory's "Might of Rome" range, and I've seen some good looking miniatures at good prices, but I'm hesitant about the scale of these models. I don't want to go and buy any without reference, so I was wondering if anyone has any comparisons of scale between these models and larger scale ones, especially Games-Workshop's.

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop27 Apr 2010 4:39 a.m. PST

Their cavalry are pretty tall

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Apr 2010 4:57 a.m. PST

They are smaller than Games Workshop models but I don't think it the difference is out of proportion with normal human variation. I forget where it is but there is a picture of a Romand next to a Barbarian and the Roman was a bit shorter. That is not to say that they were short across the board but the barbarians, especially the germans are often depicted as being taller.

So if you are looking to pit some fantasy Roman army against an Empire army, for example, you might do well to have Romans figures that were a bit shorter than the German-inspired Empire.

The Wargames Factory ones fit in very well with the Foundry ones.

Mikasa27 Apr 2010 7:00 a.m. PST

Far too small for Warhammer but they look good alongside the Lord of the Rings range

Trevy the Great Inactive Member27 Apr 2010 7:23 a.m. PST

Does anyone have any comparison pictures?
How do their models compare to Warlord Game's romans (that's a good point of reference)?

Mick in Switzerland Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2010 8:09 a.m. PST

Dear Trevy,

Try here
link
Big version
link

Regards
mick

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member27 Apr 2010 8:22 a.m. PST

Various comparisons have been posted, here and elsewhere:

link

link (German cavalry)

link (WF and Warlord)

There are lots more; have a look.

Allen

IGWARG1 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian27 Apr 2010 8:24 a.m. PST

Also, German cavalry comparison: link Romans didn't have their own cavalry during that period and used "barbarian" types.

I just painted some WF Romans and they are the same size as GW Bretonian infantry I have.

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member27 Apr 2010 8:29 a.m. PST

This may be useful:

picture

TMPer BugStomper posted that--

"From L to R they are: Warlord Games, Foundry, BTD, GW (yes I know he's not a Roman! ;)"

TMP link

Allen

aecurtis Fezian Inactive Member27 Apr 2010 9:30 a.m. PST

Dom had posted this:

picture

"Left to right: Foundry (Perry) Warlord (Plastic) Foundry (Saleh)"

TMP link

Trevy the Great Inactive Member28 Apr 2010 5:18 a.m. PST

I took the liberty of chopping up some of these pics and came up with the following to compare the two miniature ranges with GW models:
picture

Sorry, I don't know how to link things in this format. :(

I also got a message from Wargames Factory regarding the scale of their models, and I got the following comparison between them and Warhammer models:
picture

Thanks for your help, guys!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.