Help support TMP

"How does one delete their account" Topic

64 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the TMP Talk Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Red Sable Brushes from Miniaturelovers

Hobby brushes direct from Sri Lanka.

Current Poll

2,558 hits since 25 Jun 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

jony66325 Jun 2020 8:26 p.m. PST

I wish to leave TMP but do not see any easy way of doing it. Can someone please show me how to remove myself from your list.

mad monkey 125 Jun 2020 8:31 p.m. PST

Just don't come here?

jony66325 Jun 2020 8:39 p.m. PST

I prefer to have my account deleted. That and it is the law.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian25 Jun 2020 8:57 p.m. PST

Whose law? You knew the rules when you signed up, it's in the FAQ.

What are you trying to protect? Change the name on the account, if you want (but not to anything objectionable, please).

Personal logo PzGeneral Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 3:54 a.m. PST

He may be referencing the GDPR, the European privacy act.

But since the Poster live in PA, that law doesn't apply to him. And the US doesn't have an equivalent law to the GDPR yet….

jony66326 Jun 2020 4:51 a.m. PST

What you are missing is that there are state and local laws that can connect to wider protocal such as GDPR. I was hoping for a simple answer, but I guess I should of expected this.

jony66326 Jun 2020 4:51 a.m. PST

Oh and to join you do not have to go to the FAQs, just an minor oversight

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 5:42 a.m. PST

The FAQ is clear. You've been told what to do. Wat more can we do for you?

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 6:13 a.m. PST

but I guess I should of expected this

You expected people to conform to what you personally perceive to be the law rather than hold to the written agreements?

I work GDPR every day. What clauses are you invoking and under what authority are you invoking them?

MajorB26 Jun 2020 6:20 a.m. PST

I have searched through the FAQ and can find no reference to deletion or removal of accounts. Please specify where in the FAQ it says anything about that?

Sgt Slag26 Jun 2020 6:36 a.m. PST

Why not contact the Editor, directly, through a PM, to ask? Why post it publicly? Cheers!

marmont1814 Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 7:42 a.m. PST

Why not just delete all your interests and change your name and nobody will find you, what is the problem. Any personal inf just delete or change to nonsense

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 8:27 a.m. PST

I have searched through the FAQ and can find no reference to deletion or removal of accounts. Please specify where in the FAQ it says anything about that?

TMP link

TMPISNAFF Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 8:43 a.m. PST

I too wish to delete my account. I've had enough. Please remove all my personal details, and any financial details you hold regarding me.
Your reply in FAQ is unsuitable.

Coyotepunc and Hatshepsuut26 Jun 2020 9:02 a.m. PST

When you leave, can I have your stuff?

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 9:11 a.m. PST

HA! Coyotepunc you are a very funny man!

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 9:13 a.m. PST

Please remove all my personal details, and any financial details you hold regarding me.

We don't have any financial details. You paid through PayPal, probably. They have your details.

Nor do we have any "personal details" – how would we?

Sundance26 Jun 2020 9:52 a.m. PST

It's funny, people have no idea what information they've provided to TMP? Sounds like a bunch of simpletons to me. Are you regularly in the habit of providing financial and personal details to websites that don't ask for them?

NWMike26 Jun 2020 9:56 a.m. PST

What does this GDPR say about faux users harassing website owners and actual customers?

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 10:57 a.m. PST

Your reply in FAQ is unsuitable.

That's funny in the context of all the GDPR discussion. While TMP is under no obligation to comply with GDRP and the FAQ conditions about quitting were written long before the GDPR, they actually conform to the standard.

Quiting TMP
I'm no longer interested in wargaming. How do I quit TMP?
Just stop visiting the website. That's all it takes.

Will you erase my account?
If you have never posted on the forums, your account will automatically be deleted after a certain period of time.

But I've posted on the forums!
Then your membership can't be erased, since that would disrupt the previous forum discussions.

Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten')

1. The data subject shall have the right to obtain from the controller the erasure of personal data concerning him or her without undue delay and the controller shall have the obligation to erase personal data without undue delay where one of the following grounds applies:

(a) the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed;

So, first, your posts are not personal information under the GDPR. The content of your posts are not collected or processed under the provisions of the GDPR. The only bit that fits the definition is your handle, if you choose to make it so. And you have rights and authorities to remove that.

The caveat would be people who decide to put their passport number and full name and address in their posts. That counts as personal, but not as collected or processed under the GDPR definitions.

The posts you make are necessary for the purpose maintaining the continuity of other people's comments, that is the integrity of the thread to which you posted. That first exemption quoted (there are 14 more exemptions to that article, and about 110 or so (depending on how you count) related exemptions in the rest of the GDPR) above means controllers do not have to delete even personal information if it is required to maintain the integrity of the purpose it was collected for.

And you were told. In writing. The fact that you didn't bother to read it is no more relevant than the fact that you probably haven't read the TOS for anything you clicked to accept.

And, as an interesting point, the fact that you have clicked a button to accept GDPR conditions constitutes a similar exception to the 'Right to be Forgotten'. To be compliant with GDPR, controllers are required to collect, store, and keep personal information related to that click.

MajorB26 Jun 2020 11:08 a.m. PST

What does this GDPR say about faux users harassing website owners and actual customers?

It doesn't say anything because there is no personal data involved.

GDPR = General Data Protection Regulations

Fried Flintstone Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 11:11 a.m. PST

Jony663 – GDPR provides for the Right to Erasure, or The Right to be Forgotten, in which case the website is required to remove all PII (Personal Identifiable Information) such as your name, email address and location.

Financial information is not in question as TMP uses PayPal for that.

As your name and location are visible in TMP you most certainly have the legal right to demand these are removed from TMP servers.

I *think* TMP can continue to show your posts as long as they in no way identify you as the author.

MajorB26 Jun 2020 11:18 a.m. PST

As your name and location are visible in TMP you most certainly have the legal right to demand these are removed from TMP servers.

No. Most people here do not use their real name. A sobriquet does not count as personal data.
Secondly if the location goes down to street and house number then that would be personal data, but ONLY if associated with a real name. Location data which is just a country or city is not specific enough for GDPR to apply.

(Leftee)26 Jun 2020 11:21 a.m. PST

So, as Tepptsa says
"As your name and location are visible in TMP you most certainly have the legal right to demand these are removed from TMP servers."
How do we go about this? After 18+ years here I would like to leave and have the above honored.

(Leftee)26 Jun 2020 11:22 a.m. PST

OK. I see above. So just not visit then it is.

MajorB26 Jun 2020 11:23 a.m. PST

On a point of clarity, TMP does hold a verified email address for bona fide members, However, unless this is associated with a real name again GDPR does not apply and therefore there is no right of erasure.

14Bore26 Jun 2020 12:34 p.m. PST

I thought this was the Hotel California, btw where is my wine?

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 1:15 p.m. PST

in which case the website is required to remove all PII (Personal Identifiable Information) such as your name, email address and location.

Unless it meets one of the fifteen exclusions listed in that article.

Also, not PII. That is a US government term. The GDPR does not have a definition of PII, nor does it use the term. It does identify "personal data", which is different from the US government PII definition.

MajorB has already pointed out the differences between what was posted and what the GDPR actually says.

I thought this was the Hotel California, btw where is my wine?

I got you a wine. But I drinked it.

MajorB26 Jun 2020 1:32 p.m. PST

The GDPR does not have a definition of PII, nor does it use the term. It does identify "personal data", which is different from the US government PII definition.

The GDPR definition of Personal Data includes PII.

link

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 2:44 p.m. PST

The GDPR definition of Personal Data includes PII.

No. The GDPR definition says nothing about PII.

The article, a non-authoritative commentary on the two different standards, asserts that GDPR personal data is broader than PII. Which is nice and an interesting discussion, but it doesn't mean that the term PII has any relevance WRT the GDPR.

What is also interesting is the article does not quote the actual definition of PII:

link

it only uses part of one government office's policy discussion of PII.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 3:17 p.m. PST

Someone writes:

GDPR in fact does apply to US businesses handling the data of EU residents, and similar provisions are in place for the California CCPA legislation, so you need to have processes in place to comply with data erasure requests. I'm sure your ISP Pantek and/or your lawyer would advise you that being up to speed with current privacy legislation is strongly advised.

Some background here:

link

You should note from the above that US enforcement agencies can and have pursued US businesses for GDPR infringements originating outside the US. Don't take my word on it though, speak to your ISP and follow their advice.

Besides potential legal exposure to your business, these privacy laws exist to guarantee the basic rights and freedoms of your users, so it would be good customer service to offer good levels of privacy protection to them.

From someone demanding their entire account be deleted. Affecting an unknown number of forum topics. No personal info involved at all, as far as I can tell.

Fried Flintstone Supporting Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 3:51 p.m. PST

Bill – you have Jon''s name, his location, and a verified email address. I don't think think anyone could dispute that is all personal information (whether you choose to use the term PI or PII).

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 4:20 p.m. PST

Jon who?

Why would I have his real name?

If he added a location, he can change it himself.

If he added an email, he can change it.

lkmjbc326 Jun 2020 4:46 p.m. PST

How absolutely childish. Shame on grownups acting this way. Your beef is so bad with this board that you want to ruin it for everyone. How self centered.

Ugh.

Joe Collins

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Jun 2020 4:47 p.m. PST

So … what's PI?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian26 Jun 2020 7:38 p.m. PST

3.14159? grin

Dn Jackson26 Jun 2020 9:47 p.m. PST

etotheipi, thanks for posting that link to GDPR. I was wondering why people kept referring to East Germany, (German Democratic People's Republic)!

MajorB27 Jun 2020 1:37 a.m. PST

No. The GDPR definition says nothing about PII.

I never said it did.

The article, a non-authoritative commentary on the two different standards, asserts that GDPR personal data is broader than PII. Which is nice and an interesting discussion,

That is precisely the point. PII in the US is a narrower definition than Personal Data in the UK and EU.

but it doesn't mean that the term PII has any relevance WRT the GDPR.

Again, I never said it did. I merely used the article to illustrate that the dataset defined by the definition of PII in the US is fully covered by the definition of Personal Data in GDPR. In fact Personal Data covers a lot more besides.

In practice, in the UK, the term Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is used colloquially to refer to Personal Data as defined in the GDPR.

Not the same as as how PII is defined and used in the US, but that is not the point.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Jun 2020 3:15 a.m. PST

PII in the US is a narrower definition than Personal Data in the UK and EU.

My point was that your point was an interpreted opinion, not anything usable or referenceable for a meaningful discussion.

In practice, in the UK, the term Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is used colloquially to refer to Personal Data as defined in the GDPR.

I'm not surprised. It is also common in the US for people to use inappropriate terminology and make up their own definitions when discussing a law.

In a free society, if you don't want to read the laws, that's fine. However, when you advocate for others to do something in accordance with the low, you have a societal obligation to actually have some idea what you are talking about.

Making up your own terms (and concepts) is not a valid way to discuss a law (that is obscenely easily available to people on the Internet).

An assertion about PII under GDPR is useless. How is someone to know that you mean that specific interpretation in the article you cited? Do you know that the person who first misused the term is using the same interpretation? An interpretation which I already pointed out uses a partial interpretation of the definition of PII from a non authoritative source.

It's like arguing over whether or not a figure is a Legitimate Target under the WH40K rules. The rules don't define a thing called a Legitimate Target. There's no way for anybody to either agree with or refute your argument.

HMS Exeter27 Jun 2020 3:49 a.m. PST

Perhaps it would be useful as a first step to lock the accounts of those who have expressed a desire to TFLxit. In that way, at least, the rest of us won't be subjected to the newsgroup equivalent of a bunch of yapping chihuahuas.

TMPISNAFF Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2020 4:12 a.m. PST

I repeat. I wish to leave. You hold my full name, location and email address, which I'd like deleted, before I go.
I did PM Bill regarding this but still no response.
It seems a simple request. Why is it so difficult to cut all ties?

MajorB27 Jun 2020 5:35 a.m. PST

An assertion about PII under GDPR is useless.

Who made any such assertion? I don't think I did.

I did say that the definition of Personal Data under GDPR includes all the data items that are defined as PII in the US and a lot more besides.

That is not an assertion about PII under GDPR. As you correctly say the term is not defined in GDPR.

TMPISNAFF Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2020 5:38 a.m. PST

@HMS Exeter
Just about what I'd come to expect in terms of a response. Silence the dissenters. Stop their free speech.
At least I always have been, and still am, to date, a supporting member, unlike yourself.

Zyphyr27 Jun 2020 6:46 a.m. PST

As has already been pointed out, you can go in to your member settings and change the name and location to pretty much anything.

If you were actually concerned about your info, you would just go do that.

Leave the mindless tantrums elsewhere.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Jun 2020 8:00 a.m. PST

Who made any such assertion? I don't think I did.

The post that I was originally responding to did.

Your assertion is interesting to discuss, but doesn't contribute to the discussion, and distracts from the discussion about what should or should not be don WRT GDPR.

You apparently don't want to discuss your point. I notice that twice that you haven't bothered to respond to the fact that the analysis you linked to does not use the official definition of PII, nor the complete one from the source it uses. The analysis in the article is not worth reading.

Legion 427 Jun 2020 8:12 a.m. PST

Most people here do not use their real name. A sobriquet does not count as personal data.
I use my real name in my profile and location as I really have nothing to hide. And if anyone wants to "hunt me down" for whatever reasons … go for it ! I may get you beer, or something with a little more "heavy metal", etc., etc. evil grin Many hide behind the net to say things they would not say to your face. Some are just like that. Some would call them cowards … misguided, etc. Whatever …

But more on topic. If you go to a hardware store looking for a 3 piece suit and can't find one. Don't complain to the management. Just leave and go to a clothing store … Yes?

And really no one really, really cares if one wants to leave or stay on TMP. Really one may have an inflated concept of who they are, or want to be, etc., etc. So what ? huh? No one really will give a Bleeped text … Go on with your life, no one here will probably be too upset.

Sorry … reality bites sometimes …

MajorB27 Jun 2020 9:15 a.m. PST

Your assertion is interesting to discuss, but doesn't contribute to the discussion, and distracts from the discussion about what should or should not be don WRT GDPR.

I think it has been clearly established that TMP does not hold any personal data as defined by GDPR. Therefore the whole subject is moot and Bill is under no obligation to do anything when an individual wishes to leave TMP.

MajorB27 Jun 2020 9:18 a.m. PST

I use my real name in my profile and location as I really have nothing to hide.

You are presumably a US citizen residing in the USA. GDPR therefore doesn't apply as it only relates to citizens of the UK and EU. Data protection laws in the US may well apply but I have no knowledge of the specifics.

Legion 427 Jun 2020 9:22 a.m. PST

Yes I am a Yank living in the USA … I realize somethings here are different here than across the pond, etc.,.

But as you say, I too have no knowledge of the specifics, etc.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian27 Jun 2020 10:26 a.m. PST

Just got an email requesting that I delete someone's cookies.

Really?

Does he want me to drive to his house and turn on his computer for him, too?

(I cannot delete someone else's cookies. You can delete your own darn cookies.)

Pages: 1 2