Help support TMP

""Spying For Wellington" Huw J Davies" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

394 hits since 8 Sep 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ConnaughtRanger08 Sep 2019 5:30 a.m. PST

This is a very detailed, well-researched account of the vast and complex intelligence gathering structure created by the British during the course of the Peninsular War. Rather than an account of the specific campaigns, it focuses mainly on the Headquarters function and the formulation of strategy. It's surprisingly readable but could perhaps have done with slightly tighter editing. One gains even greater respect for Wellington's ability as a Commander – his command of detail at all levels is sometimes breathtaking. The absolutely pivotal position of George Murray as QMG is also readily apparent. There is a charming description of the two men working together before the Battle of the Nivelle. Probably not for the casual reader but it provides a fascinating insight into Wellington's Command priorities throughout the war.

link

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2019 6:20 a.m. PST

It's an excellent book on a little known subject.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2019 9:38 a.m. PST

But it will be banned by tomorrow and in a 1984 World this never happened.

If I am wrong you are reading this as the sun rises over the East Coast of Haight Ashbury. What a Long Strange Trip etc…

If I am right. It is Big Brother (without Janis Joplin, who was actually an awful singer compared with Grace Slick) and you will never know what you are missing.

I do hope you do all by now know why this is the case

ConnaughtRanger08 Sep 2019 12:20 p.m. PST

I'll have a pint of what you've had.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2019 1:50 p.m. PST

88th of Foot, you may be late into this;

TMP link

This will either still be on the forum tomorrow, as the sunrises in San Francisco, or Thoughtspeak will have determined it is not acceptable, no, it never even happened!

Your posting should survive, because you have actually given us a review of the publication, not just a simple announcement. Well done if so!

ConnaughtRanger08 Sep 2019 4:42 p.m. PST

Just a bunch of Yanks behaving like…………..well, like you expect them to behave?

MaggieC70 Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2019 5:06 p.m. PST

Allow me to creep in beneath the radar, Yank that I am. I think this will indeed be an excellent read on several levels. I've read a number of works on the Whitehall-sponsored spying and other shenanigans that hit an alleged high point between 1802 and 1805, and found a couple of them teetering on the brink of "pop history."

Looking forward to this one. I haven't really looked, but is there something written by a real academic on the French intelligence operations? And I don't want to hear about any memoirs!

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2019 7:34 p.m. PST

What are you talking about?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP09 Sep 2019 2:44 a.m. PST

To quote Robert de Niro "You talkin' ta me? Huh?"

Seriously though, what I was talking about is the recent policy change that will outlaw such postings anywhere but on Hobby News (restricted of course to paying advertisers)

TMP link

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP10 Sep 2019 6:07 p.m. PST

ah…

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.