Help support TMP

"Hitler, Roosevelt & Strategy" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

341 hits since 7 Mar 2019
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian07 Mar 2019 2:01 p.m. PST

You were asked – TMP link

Did Hitler Understand Strategy Better Than Roosevelt?

46% said "no, Hitler did not understand strategy better than Roosevelt"

17% said "no, Roosevelt understood strategy better than Hitler"

15% said "yes, Hitler understood strategy better than Roosevelt"

Winston Smith07 Mar 2019 3:23 p.m. PST

Roosevelt knew what he did not know, and let competent professionals run the show. Usually. When he intervened, it was usually correct.

There is nothing that Hitler did not consider himself an expert on. He let cronies and sycophants run things until he intervened, usually disastrously.

Winston Smith07 Mar 2019 3:25 p.m. PST

I think your poll results show Roosevelt with a 63% advantage. I still don't understand how they can be considered different.

Old Glory Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Mar 2019 4:20 p.m. PST

Moral of the story: never trust a "politician" that wears a military uniform?
Or any other politician for that matter?

Korvessa07 Mar 2019 5:16 p.m. PST

I'm with Winston
Don't see a difference between 1st two choices

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian07 Mar 2019 6:17 p.m. PST

Don't see a difference between 1st two choices

You could believe neither was superior at strategy.

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2019 10:32 p.m. PST

It wasn't FDR's job to formulate strategy. He guides the overall course of the war. He sets the policies, like unconditional Surrender or Germany first policy. He did this in consultation with Allied leaders like Churchill.

A good example is the 1944 meeting at Pearl Harbor with Nimitz, MacArthur and FDR. This was to decide the overall course of the war in the Pacific. Another example is the Casablanca meeting with Churchill. He picks the Generals and Admirals he feels can do the job. Then he stands back and lets them do their job.

The problem with Hitler is that he knew he was a better strategist than his Generals.

Don't forget about President Truman. His views were very important and he had an impact on strategy. He had a lot to do with the end game in the Pacific.

By the way, the first choice is worded strangely. The syntax is screwed up. Better would be "Who was the better strategist FDR or Hitler?" Survey Says! FDR. The choices are sort of the same. Consider hiring an editor. I have one at work that I would gladly let you have.

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP07 Mar 2019 10:48 p.m. PST

What I wouldn't give for a Franklin Roosevelt or Harry Truman today.

rmaker07 Mar 2019 11:38 p.m. PST

It wasn't FDR's job to formulate strategy. He guides the overall course of the war.

That is what strategy is.

23rdFusilier Supporting Member of TMP08 Mar 2019 5:18 a.m. PST

I was going to writing something here, but I could not improve on anything Winston Smith said.

And I agree with Rallynow!

Old Contemptibles Supporting Member of TMP08 Mar 2019 8:24 a.m. PST

rmaker,

I couldn't find a word to describe it. I guess what I mean is grand strategy. Not that we are going to land here and there. But rather, we are going to invade Japan by the fall of 45 or our priority is to defeat Germany. Now let them do their job which is to formulate the strategy in accordance with the grand strategy. They are not the same thing.

donlowry08 Mar 2019 9:36 a.m. PST

Yes, "grand strategy."

Griefbringer10 Mar 2019 5:59 a.m. PST

You could believe neither was superior at strategy.

Yes, but it is not really obvious which of the options stands for that. Perhaps a better choice of answer options could have been:

- Hitler understood strategy better
- Roosevelt understood strategy better
- No significant difference between Hitler and Roosevelt

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.