Help support TMP

""Arrogant American Gamers"?" Topic

68 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in the USA Message Board

Back to the TMP Talk Message Board

8,823 hits since 18 May 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 3 

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian18 May 2017 9:11 p.m. PST

One of our members writes:

What's with the extremely vocal selection of xenophobic arrogant american gamers who diss everything and everyone not home grown?

OK, I'm open for discussion. Make your case, show your sources, and keep the discussion respectful.

Grignotage18 May 2017 9:17 p.m. PST

DELETED

Hafen von Schlockenberg Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 9:23 p.m. PST

DELETED

Grignotage18 May 2017 9:24 p.m. PST

DELETED

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 9:37 p.m. PST

Bill.
Both the vocal Americans and vocal Brits exist only as a significant percentage in people's imaginations.
Give it up and stop trying to cause trouble where none exists.
Instead of nuking what the previous posters have posted (and can be easily found on Frothers via Freezerpage) just nuke the whole damn thread, and the one about the British.

Stop it.

skippy0001 Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 9:52 p.m. PST

I've played as many Brit and French games as US ones-this-has to be a troll issue.

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian18 May 2017 9:55 p.m. PST

Give it up and stop trying to cause trouble where none exists.
Instead of nuking what the previous posters have posted (and can be easily found on Frothers via Freezerpage) just nuke the whole damn thread, and the one about the British.

Stop it.

Please don't break forum rules, John. I have just as much right to discuss this as anyone else. It seems only fair to give the 'other side' their chance to make their point.

Posts will be nuked which are simply of nuisance value.

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 10:48 p.m. PST

Let's assume that someone is actually dumb enough to accede to your request.
He is then, by definition, making "a group attack" on Americans.
This won't be the first time you started s thread whose sole purpose is to entrap and send someone to the DH or ban them.
Prove me wrong. Make ANYTHING posted on this thread immune from retaliation.

Northern Monkey18 May 2017 11:09 p.m. PST

This is just as stupid as the thread about U.K. gamers. There is no "other side", in this environment we are all, first and foremost, Wargamers, nationality is irrelevant.

Personal logo John Treadaway Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 11:13 p.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo ochoin Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 11:35 p.m. PST

DELETED

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP18 May 2017 11:50 p.m. PST

DELETED

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 12:04 a.m. PST

'Please don't break forum rules, John. I have just as much right to discuss this as anyone else. '

That is a point that I have clearly stated previously. However, in my view many of your comments also break forum rules – but your's aren't moderated… that adage 'with power comes responsibility'… you are taking a lot of self-inflicted flack at the moment. Not going to look for specific quotes – TMP breakfast shutdown getting close… but the old 'think before you post' adage should probably apply more to you that to 'ordinary' members. TMP may be doing OK , but it's still costing you money.

plutarch 6419 May 2017 1:30 a.m. PST

DELETED

Dan 05519 May 2017 1:40 a.m. PST

DELETED

VVV reply19 May 2017 2:16 a.m. PST

DELETED

Oh Bugger19 May 2017 2:55 a.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo John Treadaway Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 2:57 a.m. PST

DELETED

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 4:02 a.m. PST

"There is no "other side", in this environment we are all, first and foremost, Wargamers, nationality is irrelevant."

Exactly.

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 4:10 a.m. PST

DELETED

korsun0 Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 4:17 a.m. PST

DELETED

Don Manser19 May 2017 4:22 a.m. PST

DELETED

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 4:27 a.m. PST

Hmm. Wrong faults in this context. I'm not sure the average kid in a US hobby shop even realizes that GW and Battlefront aren't US firms.

But if I needed six gamers with no feel for historical context, I'd start looking among my compatriots.

The average wargamer anywhere is a pretty decent fellow: he's put time and study into his hobby instead of buying a video game off a rack. and the historical miniatures gamer has gone pretty far out on that limb. I would agree that at the extremes differences between national cultures are more evident, but how much does this have to do with miniatures?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian19 May 2017 4:35 a.m. PST

…but how much does this have to do with miniatures?

I wanted to be fair to the original poster and let him make his case, but he seems to have retreated back into his shell.

Von Trinkenessen19 May 2017 4:53 a.m. PST

Not retreated into shell but some of us have to work for a living.

Jack Burton Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 5:03 a.m. PST

DELETED

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 5:06 a.m. PST

DELETED

RetroBoom19 May 2017 5:18 a.m. PST

DELETED

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 5:45 a.m. PST

DELETED

haywire Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 6:04 a.m. PST

This has dawghouse bait written all over it.

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 6:05 a.m. PST

There does seem to be a vocal minority who get overexcited about different rule sets – but most of these seem to be American rule sets so…..

….I don't really recognise the premise of the OP. Some of the nicest gamers I've come into contact with are American.

Parzival19 May 2017 6:13 a.m. PST

DELETED

Pizzagrenadier19 May 2017 6:13 a.m. PST

DELETED

VVV reply19 May 2017 6:25 a.m. PST

DELETED

Winston Smith Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 6:28 a.m. PST

DELETED

nazrat19 May 2017 6:38 a.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 6:49 a.m. PST

DELETED

Festerfest19 May 2017 6:55 a.m. PST

DELETED

Parzival19 May 2017 7:06 a.m. PST

I like frosting.
But not fondant. That stuff is just nasty.

21eRegt19 May 2017 7:11 a.m. PST

DELETED

Kevin C Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:18 a.m. PST

As a type 2 diabetic, I hate fondant. If I am going to kill myself by eating cake, I want frosting. Fondant is not worth dying for. In addition, I stay away from all artificial sugar substitutes. If I have to die, I would rather die from a sugar coma than from cancer.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:19 a.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo PrivateSnafu Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:34 a.m. PST

Why don't you just ask the member, directly, in the thread they posted? I don't get the way you are doing this.

Personal logo John Treadaway Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:42 a.m. PST

DELETED

Norman D Landings19 May 2017 7:46 a.m. PST

Kevin – I did the haematology for this study:

link

A minor role, but it's my claim to fame.

Personal logo Patrick R Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:49 a.m. PST

DELETED

Personal logo Tacitus Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 7:59 a.m. PST

Fondant is gross. But, at the risk of creating a thread war, I also find buttercream frosting sickly sweet and fatty on the palate. I much prefer whipped cream frosting.

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 10:04 a.m. PST

DELETED

lloydthegamer Supporting Member of TMP19 May 2017 10:12 a.m. PST

"Posts will be nuked which are simply of nuisance value."

This whole thread is a nuisance and should be nuked. If your intent is to turn TMP into a Frothers clone you are unfortunately succeeding.

Zoltar19 May 2017 10:16 a.m. PST

Its interesting that the beginning of Von Trinkenessen's post was not included in this thread. It was: "I would answer you Bill What's with the extremely vocal selection of xenophobic arrogant american gamers who diss everything and everyone not home grown?"

The post was a sarcastic response to a thread that should not have existed.

This hot on the heels of the British post is one of the most inane, intentionally inflammatory, ridiculous trollings I have ever seen.

What good is it? What does it add to the hobby.

Its a childish defense of an earlier equally childish thread.

Pages: 1 2 3