Help support TMP

"Moving Mecca" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

698 hits since 28 Feb 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Joerg Bender Supporting Member of TMP28 Feb 2017 12:44 p.m. PST

Has anyone read subject article in Wargames Illustrated # 353 about the move of Historicon to New Jersey yet?
That's obsolete, isn't it? I've read here in tmp that the new venue has been sold and we're back to square one. Or did I miss something?

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP28 Feb 2017 1:53 p.m. PST

You are correct. It was contemplated, maybe even had reservation fee paid, but then site was sold and HMGS is back to square one for 2018.

Jim

zoneofcontrol Inactive Member28 Feb 2017 1:53 p.m. PST

Here is a little TMP thread on the subject.

TMP link

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP28 Feb 2017 3:11 p.m. PST

I think, gentlemen, in the immortal words of Antryg Windrose, "we are a long way from the comfort and security of Square One."

But I'm sure the BOD will have a new location picked out no later than Historicon 2017. I'll be a little surprised if they don't announce something at Cold Wars.

Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2017 12:45 a.m. PST

Maybe they'll finally move the West Coast!

(I can dream, can't I?)

- Ix

Personal logo Bowman Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2017 9:30 a.m. PST

…."we are a long way from the comfort and security of Square One."

But are we? Surely, if all goes wrong, then Historicon 2018 can remain at the FCC?

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2017 12:13 p.m. PST

Yellow Admiral, I have long dreamed of moving the West Coast, but I'm afraid Calexit is the best I can hope for.

Perhaps you meant moving TO the West Coast?

Bowman, as I understood it, that was one of the options being discussed, but we didn't have a firm offer from either the LHRC or the FCC. And attendance at the FCC has sunk to about 2/3 of what they were drawing in Lancaster, so a move is probably in order whatever happens in 2018.

zoneofcontrol Inactive Member01 Mar 2017 1:20 p.m. PST

Yellow Admiral-
There are (or were?) west coast chapters of HMGS. With the state of flux involved with the east coast cons, maybe someone can get a "nation level" con going on the left coast. Would there be support for such an event in the region? I live in the heart of the HMGS, Inc. territory so I am not familiar with the draw and reach of the other chapters.

Personal logo edmuel2000 Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2017 10:07 a.m. PST

Oh, crumbs. Let's not start a thread on this in the Lounge1

vagamer63 Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2017 6:47 p.m. PST

I wouldn't be too sure about a move back to the Host, as a member of the BOD recently acknowledged the cost for the Host for Historicon 2018 is, "north of $20 USDk.", and there won't be any "Commissions", or kick backs money wise from the hotel. The three hotels at the FCC paid commissions of $13 USDk back to HMGS from the last show at FCC. That would seem to me to help off set the basic cost of the FCC, which the Host doesn't offer!

Even if a move back to the Host is decided upon any gain in attendance is more then likely to be off set by losses from other regions.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.