Help support TMP

"Early Austrian Hussars and Uhlans?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

2,825 hits since 29 Aug 2013
©1994-2019 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian30 Aug 2013 10:57 a.m. PST

I have sample uniforms for early (pre-1799) Austrian Hussars and Uhlans for a Rivoli OOB that I am doing. However, I have a few questions on some details.

The Uhlan figures from Eureka have fur on their hats. I cannot find an example of those online.

I also need information on how the musicians, standards and officer uniforms would differ from the rank and file.

Any help appreciated.

MichelleJ30 Aug 2013 7:16 p.m. PST

There is a b& w print in the Osprey cavalry book of the Uhlan in fur trim. I wondered if it is bear fur?

SJDonovan30 Aug 2013 11:07 p.m. PST

This is from the Austro-Hungarian Army 1798-1814 by W. J. Rawkins (but I should warn you that it was published a long time ago and more up-to-date research may have superseded it).

With regard to the headgear he says: "In 1792 the Uhlan Regiment was wearing a version of the traditional Polish cap, the 'Federaka', with soft yellow crown with squared top, brown fur headband and short black-over-yellow plume on the left side. In 1798, with the raising of the 2nd Regiment, both were put into modernised uniforms and the first version of the Czapska hat, the traditional lancer cap, was introduced with short squared top 'box' fluted at the sides, black turban and black leather peak. The semi-spherical yellow-and-black pompon was worn on the left side of the upper edge of the 'box' surmounted by a black-over-yellow plume and mixed yellow-and-
black cords and flounders were worn. The upper portion of the czapska was yellow for the 1st Regiment and grass green for the 2nd Regiment; however, prior to 1800 both units would appear to have worn yellow caps."

Officers and NCOs: "Officers' czapskas were of the same pattern as those of the men but had gilded brass corners to the box and trim to the peak, and cords were mixed black-and-gold.

The coat was of the same pattern as those of the men with all buttons gilt and gold-fringed epaulettes were worn at the shoulders with heavy bullion fringes for the field officers and fine fringes for the junior grades. Field officers' cuffs were trimmed with gold lace and the kummerbund sash was gold-and-black silk.

Officers wore a pouch-belt of black leather with wide gold lace trim to the edges and gilt pickers and chains on the breast; the small pouch had a shaped lid and was trimmed with gold lace. Overall trousers were green as for the coat with a double scarlet stripe on the outer seam; double gold stripe with a line of scarlet piping between for the senior officers. Waist-belts were of whitened leather and the sabre had a silvered hilt. Sabre-straps were as for the officers of infantry."

Musicians: "The Uhlan trumpeters wore the czapska as for the men with scarlet-over-yellow or all-scarlet plume. Prior to 1806 trumpeters would seem to have worn coats as for the other ranks. Trousers were as for the men. Trumpets were brass with mixed black-and-yellow cords. Pouch-belts were not worn, but other equipment was as for the troopers."

Mal Sabreur31 Aug 2013 5:34 a.m. PST

this is from Digby Smith's "Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars." Which is quite a handy quick reference work

picture

I,m sure I read somewhere that the Austrians used a lot of fur fabric of some sort in their uniforms

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian31 Aug 2013 1:52 p.m. PST

Very helpful.

Any ideas on the Hussar Officers and Musicians?

Prince of Essling31 Aug 2013 2:33 p.m. PST

Hussar circa 1792

picture

Uhlan officer circa 1796

picture

Uhlan circa 1796

picture

picture

Uhlan circa 1787

picture

picture

picture

picture

Hussars circa 1796

picture

picture

picture

picture

Hussars circa 1787

picture

picture

Bolivar31 Aug 2013 3:11 p.m. PST

Essling these are great pictures from what looks like a near contemporary source. Can you tell me where they are from ?

Prince of Essling31 Aug 2013 3:28 p.m. PST

1796 plates from "Geschichte und Bildliche Vorstellung der Regimenter des Erzhauses Oesterreich" by Reilly
link

1787 plates from "Schema aller Uniform der Kaiserl. Königl. Kriegsvölkern" by Max von Grimm
link

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.