Help support TMP

"Your 15mm Aliens Feeding On Humans?" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

971 hits since 23 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 2:41 p.m. PST

The boogeyman concept has been pretty strong in folklore and fiction.

Have you carried that over into your 15mm SF games?

If so, how have you incorporated the effect that knowledge (or belief) has on humans In your morale rules? And, if that's the case, does that knowledge or belief motivate the humans to eradicate the alien enemy, fighting bravely down to the last man -knowing that surrender is not an option for survival-, or does it cause their resolve to weaken?

Thanks,

Dan
link
link

Personal logo Captain DEwell Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 2:49 p.m. PST

CC, you do find (and produce) some real cool stuff. Thanks

Tgunner23 Sep 2012 3:59 p.m. PST

Wow… I haven't seen the Lost Regiment stuff in a long time. Great books, at least the first several. I got tired of them after a while because it was becoming the same story over and over.

As for my games, well, yes, sort of . I've used Aliens from the movie, "Aliens" and while they don't exactly "eat" their hosts they do use them and consume them, to a degree. So that creates a bit of terror in troops and colonists and I do modify morale rules, if necessary, to represent the "last stand" atmosphere this sort of foe creates.

I also use zombies, and honestly, they are the same thing really. Just slower and not as effective fighters individually. But people know where they stand with these beasts and it isn't pretty.

I've considered using the Felids from Khurasan as carnivores who fight, kill, and consume their prey… and take their planets and resources too. But I haven't really thought out things for them yet. But I plan to use Tomorrow's War for these games and that ruleset does have great rules for these sort of critters.

Honestly, I do think these sort of "monsters" do add a special feel to a game. It's more visceral, genetic. We humans are a sort of prey species (not any more though!) and there is a special fear about being eaten/consumed by other creatures that all of us feel to one degree or another.

Interesting thread CC!

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 4:04 p.m. PST

… fighting bravely down to the last man -knowing that surrender is not an option for survival-, or does it cause their resolve to weaken?

I'd guess some of each and from a gaming standpoint, not knowing which. Even without the fear of being eaten, when faced with a feared enemy, historically, both results have occurred in battle.

JJ

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 4:51 p.m. PST

Provocative question – and I loved the Lost Regiment series; I thought that Down to the Sea was a great idea, and unfortunately it does not seem that a sequel is in the works

As to the idea, I think knowing that an alien race is using people as snacks would be i) to induce a real fight to the last cartridge/man mentality among the troops and ii) would lead to public attitudes towards the conflict that would be – extreme (to be polite)

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 7:53 p.m. PST

I'm thinking of using the GZG "Alien Mercenaries" as a version of the more advanced kin of the Tugars/Merki/Bantag, the ones that are still fighting among their colonies in space:

picture

TMP link

As some of you might remember from the Lost Regiment series, in the fifth novel (Battle Hymn) the Bantag horde is suddenly led by a member of their race (Ha'ark "the Redeemer", and his friend Jamul/Jurak) that is teleported to the planet while in the middle of a highly advanced military clash, only to end up among his more primitive long-lost kin, in one of the Empire's long-forgotten planets.

"Several years later the expanding human alliance faces a new threat in the form of the Bantag. The Bantag are a Horde from even further south. They are led by a member of their race who arrived from another world which has a late 20th century level of technology. This alien, a soldier on his own world, assumes a messianic role among the Bantag and modernizes their society to equal, and even surpass that of the humans. He is familiar with atomic reactors as well as centerfire rifles. The Bantag scavenge engines from decaying cities abandoned by their people millennia ago and use them to power airplanes. The reader learns that the people of the Bantag had once been a technologically advanced starfaring race, visiting many different planets and seeding teleportation devices across them. The civilization on their homeworld collapsed in nuclear war but the teleportation devices remained sporadically active and ended up transporting various humans to the planet Vallenia, (the location of the novel) though Vallenia was not the homeworld of the Tugar/Merki/Bantag race. Using their advanced technology the Bantag attack the Union."
link

But, instead of using the Lost Regiment planet as the setting (Valdenia), I plan to have the alien empire expand to the edges of human territory . . .

They have used up all the resources of planet after planet, and they've discovered we taste good to them!

Dan
link

khurasanminiatures23 Sep 2012 10:43 p.m. PST

I considered commissioning two Garn eating a human like the two T. rex in Spielberg's The Lost World ….

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2012 10:58 p.m. PST

Basically, instead of looking like his horde brethren from back in Valdenia:

picture

The more advanced Ha'ark the Redeemer was more like this:

picture

Or even this:

picture

link
link
link

Dan
link

Personal logo Vis Bellica Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 12:08 a.m. PST

Khurasan wrote: I considered commissioning two Garn eating a human like the two T. rex in Spielberg's The Lost World ….

Ah, the Garn: where war crimes and lunch are often confused!

infojunky24 Sep 2012 3:24 a.m. PST

In my universe the Humans are the boogie man….

badger2224 Sep 2012 6:47 a.m. PST

I plan on running a game in the near future with Khurasans vepulids attackong earth to carry away humans to lay eggs in. And they are backed up by felids. So yes I have a bit of that going on. Not sure how it will effect morale just yet.

The best part of this is that the players dont know this is what they are going to play. One of them will be playing a US Armored Cavalry troop, and the other will be playing a PAVN infantry force with some vehicle support. Midway into the fiorst turn, the bug dropship, made from a Banksia pod will drop on them, ran by the third player……. I totaly expect them to be quite upset with me for several minutes. Then they will be thinking of who else they can play this one on.

owen

Personal logo Eli Arndt Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 7:07 a.m. PST

I have gamed with races that need to make some sort of leadership test not to engage in battlefield snacking or trophy taking.

-Eli

badger2224 Sep 2012 7:54 a.m. PST

Oh and vis Bellica when are we fianly going to see these rules so i can put on this great game of whacka human?

owen

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 8:06 a.m. PST

Infojunky: "In my universe the Humans are the boogie man…."

LOL

Do the aliens have this look on their faces when the discover our arrival?

picture

But, most importantly, do they taste like chicken?

Dan

Legion 424 Sep 2012 8:08 a.m. PST

GW's Tau allies the Kroot … (used to ?)eat their enemies, human, Orks, or otherwise …

picture

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 10:35 a.m. PST

What happened? Did they get a bad batch of humans?

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Sep 2012 11:07 a.m. PST

Here's an interesting list of "assimilating races":

link

Dan

Legion 424 Sep 2012 2:24 p.m. PST

Update … Kroot still eat their enemies … save for Tyranids, Chaos Cultists … and Tau of course …

Tgunner24 Sep 2012 3:12 p.m. PST

Sounds like some great fluff CC. Do you have some miniatures in mind for this other than the merc squad? Those guys look a bit… small, to be 8' boogie men. But they are nice sculpts!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP25 Sep 2012 10:35 p.m. PST

Something around 20mm might be perfect, if it exists. Anyone know of a good fit?

Dan

Psyckosama Inactive Member25 Sep 2012 10:51 p.m. PST

@khurasan

A to serve man setup?

DO IT!

arngrimson26 Sep 2012 2:35 a.m. PST

The Harook from Mad Robot are perfect for biting a tasty human head off in combat.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.