Help support TMP

"Musketeer Miniatures' 28mm Anglo-Irish War Range" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

2,589 hits since 5 Feb 2008
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Gallowglass Inactive Member05 Feb 2008 4:54 p.m. PST

Those of you interested in wargaming events in Ireland 1919-1923 will probably have seen the relatively recent announcement from Musketeer:

TMP link

Pics of almost all of the greens can now be be seen at :

hellsacre.blogspot.com

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP05 Feb 2008 6:06 p.m. PST

Ah, at last. Proper Evil Bastards.

willthepiper05 Feb 2008 6:45 p.m. PST

Gosh, OFM, are you refering the to Black and Tans or the IRA?

(Inappropriate Name) Inactive Member05 Feb 2008 9:16 p.m. PST

Nice figs.

andysyk06 Feb 2008 3:07 a.m. PST

Ohh dear, looks like another new period. I shall have to add some to my lead mountain.

Gallowglass Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 3:44 a.m. PST

"are you refering the to Black and Tans or the IRA?"

Both, of course.

Personal logo Doctor Merkury Supporting Member of TMP06 Feb 2008 3:52 a.m. PST

Very cool, more Hicks magic.

Doc

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP06 Feb 2008 4:30 a.m. PST

The Auxies.

The Gray Ghost06 Feb 2008 10:07 a.m. PST

I'm looking forward to these but I imagine there will be furious debate about the morality of gameing that period.

Spiraluk Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 1:21 p.m. PST

"I'm looking forward to these but I imagine there will be furious debate about the morality of gameing that period."

Actually we haven't had anyone question it. And why should they?

Sterling Moose Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 3:12 p.m. PST

I could use some of the IRA as armed Pulp civilians. Though I've no interest in gaming the period as is, it may have been 90 odd years ago but the repercussions killed at least one acquantance of mine in the 1980's. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Personal logo Doctor Merkury Supporting Member of TMP06 Feb 2008 3:18 p.m. PST

The Old IRA of the 20's and new IRA are different animals.

link

You have variants that were formed from the original of the 20's

Doc who plans on playing Auxies.

Spiraluk Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 3:52 p.m. PST

"The Old IRA of the 20's and new IRA are different animals."

A fact most people are oblivious to. Hopefully this range will make people look at the facts of the conflict and educate them in some way. Everyone involved in making this range come about had family involved on both sides. I can assure you there is no bitter taste in our mouths as it was nothing to do with the recent conflict. I'd urge people to look into the period before judging it.

And at the end of the day they are great for Pulp/SCW/WW2/ :o)

The Gray Ghost06 Feb 2008 4:22 p.m. PST

I need some for when Edward VIII appoints Oswald Mosley to form a fascist govenment.

Gallowglass Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 5:01 p.m. PST

I needed 'em for Confederate infantry and Mormon separatists for gaming the Turtledove alternative American 20th century timeline.

But seriously….nobody here is oblivious to what PIRA and their "offspring" did in the UK. The 1920's IRA bear as much resemblence to the shower from the 1970's and 1980's as the modern UVF bear to the men of the WW1 36th (Ulster) Division. I would be sympathetic to anybody who experienced a loss as a result of the Northern Irish debacle, and unreservedly condemn the perpetrators, but I would urge everyone to study Anglo-Irish relations between 1900 and 1922 to get an idea of why "the Irish question" has been impossible to answer.

von Paulus Inactive Member06 Feb 2008 5:38 p.m. PST

Seeing the figures at Vappa inspired me to go get the Osprey book on the Anglo Irish War and Bennets book on the Black and Tans. My father's Irish and I know that a great grandfather on my mother's side was stationed at the Curragh. Well done Musketeer Minis for spurring my interest in this conflict!

ironsides1 Inactive Member08 Feb 2008 11:42 a.m. PST

"I need some for when Edward VIII appoints Oswald Mosley to form a fascist govenment."

Sounds fascinating; tell us more, Gray Ghost..

Miliciano Inactive Member09 Feb 2008 4:41 a.m. PST

I'm looking forward to these but I imagine there will be furious debate about the morality of gameing that period.

The same could be said about any period, there aren't any nice wars and the rights and wrongs of any conflict depend on your perspective.

Me, I'll be using them for the little known 'Black Country' revolt of the 1920's. They should fit in well with armoured trams and whippet attack groups (real ones not the WW1 tank).. any plans to produce racing pigeon signal teams?

The Gray Ghost10 Feb 2008 8:21 a.m. PST

When will these be available and will Little Wars in the US be carring them?

The Gray Ghost10 Feb 2008 8:26 a.m. PST

The idea came from a Masterpiece Theater a fews years ago about a politcian who attempts to takeove the British Government.
But mostly it comes from watching the 1930 pulpish Richard III not My favorite play but fantastic to see all the sets, uniforms and so on.

ironsides1 Inactive Member10 Feb 2008 10:48 a.m. PST

Gray Ghost; you might be interested in a novel published in Britain in 2004 called "The Leader" by Guy Walters that is set in an alternative Britain in which Edward VIII is King and appoints Mosley as Prime Minister. No one would call the novel literature, but there are some interesting possible scenarios for wagaming in it.

What figures rules etc do you use? This alternaitve 1930s British history area of wargaming is very interesting.

Area23 Inactive Member10 Feb 2008 12:47 p.m. PST

Brilliant figs, esp. the un-uniformed ones. Generic armed civilians they'll be from the German- to the Spanish revolution and any pulp scenario inbetween.
The Brigade Games mobsters are from the same sulptor aren't they…..?

Gallowglass Inactive Member10 Feb 2008 1:36 p.m. PST

"The Brigade Games mobsters are from the same sulptor aren't they…..?"

Yep, Paul Hicks.

The Gray Ghost11 Feb 2008 1:58 p.m. PST

For figures I'm looking at Musketeers, any with puttees I'll file down to make jackboots. Brigade Games State Troopers I & II and HLBS Co Mounties with different heads, I like the jodhoper look.
Armored trucks from Anglin Miniatures plus the tank from Indiana Jones 3. These will make up the bad guys BUF and the British National Police.

I'd like to find some good armed workers that don't look communist and I have a lot of pulp/resistance figures already.
For rules, as I'll be starting out with small skirmishes, Astounding Tales.

Saladin Inactive Member12 Feb 2008 4:56 a.m. PST

Most wars for "independence" don't end well – they just encourage the thugs and fanatics of both sides, becoming wars of terror and oppression rather than for political change or preservation. Almost always better to confront the political and social institutions themselves rather than the manifestations of the state.

Of course, the irony is that the smaller the cultural differences between the sides, the more vicious the war.

I definitely like the figures, but I prefer 20mm.

Gallowglass Inactive Member12 Feb 2008 5:16 a.m. PST

"Of course, the irony is that the smaller the cultural differences between the sides, the more vicious the war."

A prime example of which would be the Irish Civil War which started about 5 months after the Anglo-irish Treaty was signed and lasted for 11 months. Most folks rae familir with the Anglo-Irish War and the Northern "Troubles", but few seem to be as aware of that particularly vicious chapter of Irish history.

There were more executions by firing squad, more destruction of property and infrastructure and more deaths in those 11 months than the Easter Rising and the Anglo-Irish War combined. And, of course, the great tragedy is that it was Irishman killing Irishman. Not that this hadn't happened before in some shape or form, but this time it really was "green against green".

Gallowglass Inactive Member25 Feb 2008 4:10 p.m. PST

From the TMP front page:

TMP link

Range now available to pre-order from Musketeer.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.