"Sword & Spear Questions" Topic
All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.
Please use the Complaint button (!) to report problems on the forums.
For more information, see the TMP FAQ.
Back to the Sword & Spear Rules Board
Areas of InterestAncients
Featured Hobby News Article
Featured Showcase Article
Featured Workbench Article
Mini-Dragon tackles hundreds of pre-cast pieces to build the Temple Entrance.
Featured Profile Article
Our man in Jerusalem reports on the sights of Crusader-era Jerusalem.
|Nick B||15 Jan 2016 2:23 a.m. PST|
We played or first game last night and very much enjoyed it but have a couple of questions:
1. If a unit is allocated an activation die and completes its action so it is turned to a "1" does it continue to have impetus if it is subsequently attacked?
2. If a non-activated unit is attacked and survives combat can it subsequently be activated if "locked in combat". Does the enemy unit still get impetus?
3. If an non-activated unit is attacked, wins and pursues – can it be activated subsequently?
4. Do you have to check the number of dice in the bag before declaring a Group move – what happens if there aren't enough dice in the bag for the two units adjoining the commander?
Many thanks for any help.
(I appreciate the S&S forum is the best place to post these but I can't get on at the moment for some reason)
|martinwilliams||15 Jan 2016 2:42 a.m. PST|
1)It depends. You may have impetus until the end of the "phase" but not for the rest of the turn after the phase ends. It also depends on what you did on your activation. If you, for instance, performed a manouver or shot with missile weapons you cant have impetus
2) and 3) When a unit fights in melee, whether it initiates it or not, it has been activated and cannot activate again. If it fights as a result of an opposing activation a dice is taken from the bag and placed next to it showing a 1.
4) Yes. Not enough dice no group move.
At least that is how we have been playing it and we have played a fair bit.
Hope that helps
|advocate||15 Jan 2016 5:42 a.m. PST|
Agreed with Martin on 2-4
Regarding 1, in almost all cases a unit which has carried out its activation will NOT get impetus later in the phase. However, a unit which carries out an Advance may have impetus if attacked later in the phase (obviously for the first attack only, and only if no other exclusions apply).
|steamingdave47||15 Jan 2016 9:00 a.m. PST|
@Nick B- forum seems to be up and running:
|Nick B||15 Jan 2016 9:25 a.m. PST|
Thanks for your help chaps.
@steamingdave – oh, there's no problem with the forum – it has to do with my inability to remember my password! :0)
|Todd636||15 Jan 2016 10:03 a.m. PST|
Played my first game as well last night. Not ripping on the rules at all, but flank charges seem awful weak. Fresh cavalry unit charges a non-fresh infinity in the flank and I took 2 hits to his 0. Granted they were bad rolls, but 1 extra dice for flank really doesn't seem to be that much of a reward.
|Marshal Mark||15 Jan 2016 12:08 p.m. PST|
Flank charges are most effective when the unit you are charging is already fighting to its front. If it isn't already engaged frontally, then it would be aware of the flank threat and be able to turn the men on that flank to face the charge.
|Stew art ||15 Jan 2016 1:20 p.m. PST|
and don't worry about having questions about impetus, it's the hardest concept in the game to master. soemtimes it seems so simple and others are head scratchers.