Help support TMP

"L'Art de la Guerre" Topic

l'Art de la Guerre

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ADLG (l'Art de la Guerre) Rules Board

38 hits since 3 Jan 2017
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Nikator21 Jan 2015 12:46 p.m. PST

This set has been around for many (10?) years and has recently become available in English (the original is in French). I have a copy and the locals have begun to talk about trying it out as a possible replacement for FoG, which appears to have run its course.

Has anyone tried it? Comments? Has anyone come up with a snappier nickname for it than "LADG"?

Dan Beattie21 Jan 2015 3:18 p.m. PST

Art of War?

Dave Gamer21 Jan 2015 7:15 p.m. PST

I noticed they are running a L'Art de la Guerre tournament at Cold Wars this year. I wonder how many people will enter?

idontbelieveit Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2015 7:24 p.m. PST

Why would you want to abbreviate it when you can say in your best Monty Python inspired French accent, L'art de la Guerre?

aynsley683 Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member22 Jan 2015 6:08 a.m. PST

I have had only two games so far myself ( I believe the madaxeman site in the UK also has two write ups of his two games of ADLG).
From what I can see FOG ancients has pretty much keeled over and died on the east Coast here and all the local FOG A players have changed over to ADLG now. There will be a two day thing at Cold Wars I believe ( just double check to be sure but I spoke with one of the guys who said that was the plan).
They will be doing a bunch of teaching games on day one with a small tournament on day two to get things rolling.
The game it's self is fairly easy to get the hang of as it has a basic DBM sort of structure with some elements of FOG or the good bits from both, no buckets of dice from FOG and no recoiling issues from DBM to name but two.
The rule set has been play tested by the French for a number of years now so is a stable set of rules straight away. I also just got my rules yesterday and flicked through looking at the armies I liked.
The early army lists seem to be useful now unlike the DBM book one army lists where you only really used the usual 4 or 5 out of the whole book 1 .
Have a quick look at the madaxemans site as he goes through the two games he tried which should give you a good idea of what's what.
Where abouts do you normally play out of interest?
Aynsley

HANS GRUBER22 Jan 2015 9:49 a.m. PST

There is also a yahoo discussion group ADLG-US.

link

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2015 10:06 a.m. PST

Has anyone come up with a snappier nickname for it than "LADG"?

Normally you don't words like "the" in the middle of an acronym. So how about LAG?

MajorB22 Jan 2015 12:18 p.m. PST

So how about LAG?

For the old lags obviously!!

Madan Mitra23 Jan 2015 4:35 a.m. PST

ADG rolls off the tongue quite well…

Mrbootsthecat Inactive Member23 Jan 2015 11:10 p.m. PST

I'm a member of South East London Wargames Group, and we wet through a period of refining the acronym. We ended up calling it "ladlag" .
Which amuses me, as none of us have grown up and are still playing with toy soldiers.
I quite like ADG as a name, though.
Still only played two games, but it seems pretty good

sebastosfig24 Jan 2015 5:55 a.m. PST

In France, we simply say ADG.

And @Mrbootsthecat: there will be an ADG tournament in April near Milton Keynes (Roll Call). Feel free to drop by. I will umpire, and we will have some French players too, should you have any question.

Cheers

Sen

Nine cactus running rabbit Inactive Member28 Feb 2015 5:15 a.m. PST

25mm ADG ,200 pts ,Tudor arms at slimbridge glos.
7 march . A try it out event.

Cheers Keith

Mrbootsthecat Inactive Member28 Feb 2015 4:18 p.m. PST

I wish I could go to Keith's Slimbridge event as they are brilliant. Fantastic venue with food and beer on site, superb umpiring and a sensible attitude to games. I.E. No one gets too uptight about playing with toy soldiers. However, I'm off to cold wars in Pennsylvania ( and looking at the weather, it's aptly named) and I'm booked in to gnome wars…
So I hope all goes well at Slimbridge

madaxeman01 Mar 2015 3:50 p.m. PST

ADLG is the acronym of choice at Central London .. Should play well in 25mm I suspect

monger Inactive Member03 Mar 2015 12:12 a.m. PST

I myself am planning on making the switch over the ADG . DBA 3.o is amazing and I will continue playing that. But considering the alternatives for a larger battle that uses points, ADG is much better than DBMM or FOG (RIP).

coopman08 Mar 2015 7:25 p.m. PST

Does this rules set extend far enough to cover the WOTR?

bwanabill Supporting Member of TMP09 Mar 2015 6:30 a.m. PST

I was at the Cold Wars convention this past weekend. All the copies for sale in the vendor hall sold out. I bought the last copy. I guess this one is picking up steam.

monger Inactive Member10 Mar 2015 5:38 a.m. PST

I got my copy, I know that. I highly recommend ADG, esp. if you are an ex-FOG/DBM/M player. Heck, i'd recommend them to any ancients play. Well, DBA as well. SO yeah. :)

Delbruck10 Mar 2015 5:59 a.m. PST

ADLG goes to about 1500 AD, so yes it covers the WOR.

mgdavey10 Mar 2015 7:03 a.m. PST

Do people really consider FOG a "buckets of dice" game?

jameshammyhamilton10 Mar 2015 8:30 a.m. PST

To a WRG 6th or 7th ed player FoG is buckets of dice. In those systems each player rolls 2 dice per unit in combat, no more no less.

In FoG you normally roll 2 dice per base width of frontage per side. Significantly more than the old WRG rules and double that of DBX.

Do I think FoG is a buckets of dice game, not really.

Drusilla199810 Mar 2015 1:43 p.m. PST

whether it means anything, but there were in excess of 20 players participating in the inaugural L'Art De La Guerre competition. I also play DBMM, but enjoy these rules as well. Makes for an enjoyable game and in the end, that's what I'm looking for.

Nine cactus running rabbit Inactive Member23 Apr 2015 12:35 p.m. PST

Art de la guerre .competition. thornbury 9th August
25mm ,200 pts . Fixed terrain.

Further details to follow.

Nine cactus running rabbit Inactive Member10 Aug 2015 6:58 a.m. PST

Thornbury ADG competition won by Jimmy Walton with New Kingdom Egytians .well worth a repeat.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.