Help support TMP

"Travel insurance in Europe?" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Travel Plus Board

456 hits since 21 Jun 2013
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Arteis Inactive Member21 Jun 2013 8:25 p.m. PST

We live in New Zealand, but because my wife was born in the UK, our 21-year old son has a British passport as well as a NZ passport. He is leaving next week for his big Overseas Experience, backpacking around Europe for a year.

Does anyone know if, as a British citizen (albeit non-resident in the UK), he still needs health insurance in Europe, if he has an accident or falls sick? Or are British citizens covered in Europe?

Personal logo Chris Rance Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 9:41 p.m. PST


He may be able to get an EHIC (European health insurance card) but if he isn't resident in the UK, I don't know if he is entitled to one. This doesn't necessarily do away with travel insurance, but it's pretty much all I ever use. If he is entitled just make sure he gets it himself (for free) and doesn't have some company charge him for the privilege.

scrivs Inactive Member22 Jun 2013 2:02 a.m. PST

If he is entitled to a EHIC then it is free. There are a lot of unscrupulous web sites that take a fee from you for processing your application.

Martin Rapier22 Jun 2013 10:43 a.m. PST

The EHIC only covers basic stuff and in many cases you have to pay and claim the money back. It doesn't cover things like repatriation, which can be a tad expensive. UK citizens don't have full reciprocal healthcare rights in the rest of Europe, as we are all separate countries.

The advice is always to take travel insurance, even if you have an EHIC. You may get lucky of course, or you may end up eye wateringly out of pocket.

Having had more than our fair share of holiday health disasters, I certainly wouldn't go anywhere in Europe without travel insurance, let alone the States. Lengthy correspondence with foreign healthcare providers over billing and liablity is also an entertaining past-time and to be avoided if possible.

Arteis Inactive Member27 Jun 2013 2:18 a.m. PST

Thanks for the advice. We decided he did need travel insurance, and after a lot of looking round, found a good price at World Nomads, which is designed with the young backpacker in mind.

My son left on his 'Big O.E.' last night, and must've just about made it to London tonight as I type this (30 hours flight).

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.