|Maddaz111 ||22 Dec 2012 5:02 p.m. PST|
my surge protector just went up in a blue flash.
I had my finger on the test button.
the power sockets around the house tripped
I think it was squeaky sphincter time
I might have a couple of hours sleep and try and check everything in the morning.
|Shagnasty ||22 Dec 2012 7:17 p.m. PST|
As a friend of mine liked to say, " It'll knock your ---- in the dirt!" Glad the protector seems to have worked.
|Cold Steel ||22 Dec 2012 7:44 p.m. PST|
You've been hanging around with Murphy in the Lounge again, haven't you?
| Patrick R ||23 Dec 2012 2:38 a.m. PST|
A friend of mine rewired his whole house and added special circuit breakers that would cut the power in case one of his kids tried to put two pieces of wiring in the socket.
He was fixing a light switch when his wife heard a scream and found him on the floor. He had been holding the wire and "got stuck" electrocuted for a few seconds, but luckily he collapsed, breaking the connection.
He couldn't understand why the system hadn't cut out as it should have and checked with a specialist who told him he didn't cause a short circuit, he was "consuming electricity" like any other appliance.
|Maddaz111 ||23 Dec 2012 3:06 a.m. PST|
However on early morning tests, the bleeping computer is dead and the surge protector is working fine.
computer shop open in morning. Will be complaining there.
Better the computer being dead than me!
|The Dozing Dragon||23 Dec 2012 2:35 p.m. PST|
I plugged an old digital camera that had gone missing into my pc a while back, plugged the camera in (powered via mains as the battery no longer worked following a 'children's moment' turned the camera on as I always did when downloading pics etc and there a load crack and smell of burning
.goodbye one PC and one camera
most unfair. Not sure if there would have been any health issues if I was touching anything metal involved
|SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER ||23 Dec 2012 10:17 p.m. PST|
|Eclectic Wave||24 Dec 2012 6:21 a.m. PST|
You surge protector might be suppling power, but it's not 'Fine'. Once a surge protector takes a hit like that, the fuse is blown on the inside and the surge protector will no longer trip on a surge. It still supplies power fine, but it's no longer a surge protector. Throw it away.
|Maddaz111 ||24 Dec 2012 6:55 a.m. PST|
yes it's a new power supply and surge protector needed, even though it's supposed to be guaranteed.
but thanks for reminding me.
| Jovian1 ||24 Dec 2012 1:45 p.m. PST|
It is guaranteed – if the stuff plugged into the surge protector still works – the surge protector did it's job. And the guarantee says you should not have to replace stuff it protected. If the stuff doesn't work – they are supposed to replace it for you. So, best of luck on that – and glad you didn't get to feel the surge first hand! They suck – having been the recipient of several electric shocks over the course of my construction career when things were supposed to be DEAD, as in no power, and they weren't!