Help support TMP

"Gap year students in the UK?" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Travel Plus Board

Back to the Employment Opportunities Plus Board

1,017 hits since 31 Mar 2011
©1994-2018 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Arteis Inactive Member31 Mar 2011 3:40 p.m. PST

I know there are quite a few teachers here on TMP. I'd like to ask if any British teachers know if their schools take on gap-year students from Australia and New Zealand?

My daughter is finishing school here in NZ this year. She is keen on getting a gap-year position in a UK school next year (I'm talking about the 2012 calendar year, not the British school year).

She has already emailed her (very good, if I may say so myself!) CV to several schools in the Oxford area, and followed these up with phone calls to the recipients (staying up into the wee hours here in NZ to ensure that the phone calls were during British school hours!).

But if anyone here has any other leads she could follow, I would love to hear from them:

roly AT paradise DOT net DOT nz

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian31 Mar 2011 4:18 p.m. PST


Arteis Inactive Member31 Mar 2011 4:39 p.m. PST

Also known as a "gappie". A student who has finished school in their own country, and who chooses to work (often for little or no pay) as an aide in an overseas school for a year, before commencing university.

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP31 Mar 2011 11:49 p.m. PST

Gap-year. Instead of leaving school in the summer and going straight to University that autumn, a lot of students take a year off to go travelling, work abroad, etc. They then start their University course when they come back.

I'm sure they must do it in America as well. What do you guys call it?

alien BLOODY HELL surfer Inactive Member01 Apr 2011 1:36 a.m. PST

Not sure if our college does – we cater to kids from 14+. What is she looking to do, age group wise, subjects, or is she looking to do student support / in class helper? If you want to PM me I'll give you our college details. We in West Hertfordshire, about 40 minutes from Oxford (barring bad traffic etc).

Martin Rapier01 Apr 2011 3:55 a.m. PST

The short answer is yes, but the available opportunities will vary from one Education Authority to another. It is a shame she isn't actually at Uni, as she might be eligible for the Student Associate or Undergraduate Ambassadors scheme (my daughter is doing the Associate scheme and gets paid for it too).

Direct applications work, but have a look at Oxford County Councils recruitment website as well.

(jobs section)

Arteis Inactive Member01 Apr 2011 4:37 a.m. PST

Thanks, Alien … Either primary or secondary. She is looking to do student support, in class help, and/or after school help. She got the idea from my nephew, who has just got a position for himself and a mate for next year at a boy's school near Oxford, which even includes some minimal pay and live-in but that would be the ultimate! Could I email you somewhere?

Thanks, too, Martin … There was a vacancy on that website that might be suitable for gap year students. I'll leave it to my daughter if she wants to give them a ring.

I've been very proud of her. While she is usually seen as a quiet studious girl, Anneke has an incredible inner strength. I'm amazed listening to her confidently (and off her own bat) ringing up schools on the other side of the world during our middle of the night, to try to follow her dream. You suddenly realise your little girl is growing up.

alien BLOODY HELL surfer Inactive Member01 Apr 2011 6:21 a.m. PST

arteis – get me at hug_aliensurfer AT hotmail DOT com

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.