Help support TMP


"The Main Soviet Pre-War Tank" Topic


2 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember not to make new product announcements on the forum. Our advertisers pay for the privilege of making such announcements.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board


Areas of Interest

World War One
World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article


Featured Recent Link


Featured Showcase Article

Hour of Glory: Agents

Infiltrate a WWII German base with these agents of SABRE!


Featured Workbench Article

1/48 Scale Flammpanzer II 'Flamingo'

miscmini Fezian assembles and paints Gaso.line's 1/48 scale Mk.II Flammpanzer.


Featured Profile Article

First Look: Battlefront's Dunkirk House

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian explores a new house and finds an old friend.


Featured Book Review


Featured Movie Review


684 hits since 25 Jun 2023
©1994-2024 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango0125 Jun 2023 8:53 p.m. PST

"There were many cases in tank building history where development programs were restarted almost from scratch. This happened with Soviet tank development at the end of the 1920s and start of the 1930s. By the end of the 20s, the USSR composed requirements for armoured vehicles and created their own tanks. The first such vehicle was the T-18 (MS-1) small support tank accepted into service on July 6th, 1927. This tank was a grand achievement for Soviet industry. It was a very modern tank for the mid-20s and, most importantly, it was mass produced. It was a challenge, but production was fully set up by 1930. The problem was that the tank was already obsolete by then. The Red Army fully understood this. The first solution was to modernise the T-18, but the idea of finding a suitable replacement abroad was also raised.


The leadership of the UMM (Directorate of Mechanisation and Motorization, formed in November of 1929) worked wisely. They initially only considered the idea of purchasing samples for study, and a commission headed by I.A. Khalepskiy was sent abroad in 1930 for this purpose. By the time the commission left, the idea of organizing production of one of these vehicles was already raised. That is what the USSR ended up doing, since the new generation of infantry support tanks was not coming together. The Vickers Mk.E was among the samples purchased abroad. These two-turreted tanks were not entirely aligned with Soviet requirements, but they were improved by the time of purchase. The tanks were envisioned to have both cannons and machine guns: a cannon in the right turret and a machine gun in the left. The tank was accepted into service with the Red Army as the T-26 on February 13th, 1931. Only 17 units were delivered in the first year of production, but 1032 in 1932. This was more than the total production run of the T-18…"


link


link

Full Article here


link

Armand

4th Cuirassier26 Jun 2023 2:37 a.m. PST

"cannons"…..

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.