Help support TMP

"The Battle of Zama where in Tunisia is it?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Back to the Ancients Media Message Board

Areas of Interest

Ancients

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA)

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Eureka Amazon Project: The Phalangitrixes

Beowulf Fezian paints the prototypes for the Eureka Amazon Army.

Featured Workbench Article

A Good-Looking Army in a Reasonable Amount of Time

Painting a wargaming army is a completely different beast from painting a single miniature for display.

Featured Profile Article

GameCon '98

The Editor tries out this first-year gaming convention in the San Francisco Bay Area (California).

Featured Book Review

919 hits since 9 Jun 2023
©1994-2024 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ultimatewargamer09 Jun 2023 2:29 p.m. PST

Hi i am going to visit Tunisia in Oct this year. I want to visit the Zama battlefield. But where is it? There is some debate on where it is. I will be there for 9 days. So would like to see it. Has any one gone there.

ultimatewargamer09 Jun 2023 2:29 p.m. PST

Hi i am going to visit Tunisia in Oct this year. I want to visit the Zama battlefield. But where is it? There is some debate on where it is. I will be there for 9 days. So would like to see it. Has any one gone there.

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP09 Jun 2023 8:06 p.m. PST

That's the problem with Ancients. Wikipedia mentions "a flat area to the south of Sicca (modern El Kef), the Draa el Metnan." Britanica says Sāqiyat Sīdī Yūsuf, which looks to be about 25 miles further west on the same road. But the phrasing of both suggests that there's no hard ID of the place name, and no one's found a classical monument, mass graves or bits of equipment, which means they're both guessing.

Might want to look for Fredendal's headquarters while you're there. Maybe an hour's drive further south, and since it took all the corps engineers to dig it into the mountains, it should be easier to find and something to see when you do.

pfmodel09 Jun 2023 8:32 p.m. PST

While the location of zama is unknown, perhaps this map and site will be of some value in identifying a possible location.
link

GurKhan10 Jun 2023 3:20 a.m. PST

The exact site of the battle is much debated. There are discussions at:

link

link – the Kbor Klib site discussed here at least has a monument to see (the remains of), whether it's connected to Zama or not!

gbowen20 Jun 2023 2:32 a.m. PST

I went to El Kef in the 1980s, hard to get to, train journey and long taxi ride from the nearest passenger station. Very grey/brown countryside (in July). Authentic but for the serious traveller only (things may have changed since then).

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.