Help support TMP

"Most Important Theater: The East!" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not post offers to buy and sell on the main forum.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

American Civil War

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Profile Article

305 hits since 23 Jan 2023
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian23 Jan 2023 5:03 a.m. PST

You were asked – TMP link

ACW: The East Was the Most Important Theater?

54% said "yes, I agree"
30% said "no, I disagree"

35thOVI Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 7:47 a.m. PST

Can you break the percentages down by respondents state of origin? 😉

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 7:53 a.m. PST

Hadn't thought of that, 35th.

Dave Jackson Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 9:56 a.m. PST

35thOVI…it's people like you wot cause unrest….LOL!!

35thOVI Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 10:27 a.m. PST

Yes, I am bit of a rabble rouser. 😉

ScottWashburn Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 11:33 a.m. PST

The West was certainly very important, but I can't help but notice that even after the North had captured almost every important point in the West, the war went on. But as soon as Richmond fell, things came to a pretty quick conclusion. Yes, there were a lot of other factors involved, but still…

Bill N23 Jan 2023 5:04 p.m. PST

My top three are #1 the northern home front, #2 the naval blockade and #3 the European diplomatic front.

On land I would agree it is the Virginia theatre. The U.S. can win the war if Farragut fails to capture New Orleans or Breckinridge or Taylor recaptures it. The U.S. can win the war if the Confederates manage to hold Vicksburg. If A.S. Johnston is holding Nashville and Memphis at the end of 1862 but the Confederates in the east have been driven out of Virginia and are now using Charlotte NC as their base of operations, the Confederacy is in a much weaker position that they were in the original timeline. The defeat at Chickamauga was survivable for the U.S. in part because it happened in north Georgia rather than in central Virginia.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2023 8:59 p.m. PST

I use to think the West was the most important but in the last couple of years, I have changed my mind. The East is more important for these reasons:

1. The two principal armies were engaged.

2. The national capitols were nearby.

3. The East was closer to Europe.

4. The principle newspapers were in the East.

5. Most of the industry and commerce for both sides is in the East.

6. In the Western Theater, New Orleans, Fort Donaldson Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Corinth, and Vicksburg all fell to the Union and yet the Confederacy fought on as long as Lee was in the field.

7. Lincoln commented that the Union could conquer thousands of miles of territory, and major cities and yet a small defeat in the East can have so much more impact on domestic, and foreign opinion and perception.

8. The South could lose everything west of the Mississippi River and yet as long as Lee was in the field there was hope for victory. Diaries, Journals, and newspapers both east and west bore this out. Even in the West with defeat after defeat the common refrain is that as long as Lee is in the field there is a chance for victory.

9. When Lee surrendered it ended the war. The Confederacy still had thousands of soldiers spread throughout the Confederacy and once Lee had surrendered, they all went back to their homes, the war was over. Even though there was some minor fighting at Bentonville and other places, they too surrender because Lee and his ANV surrendered.

10. The Southern public looked upon Lee as a latter-day George Washington. As long as the main Continental Army, with Washington in command existed and despite losses on other fronts, there was a chance for ultimate victory. Thus, it was with Lee and the ANV.

link

raylev325 Jan 2023 9:49 p.m. PST

The war was lost in the west. Once the confederate armies in the west were destroyed, Richmond was nothing more than a footnote. After Vicksburg and then Sherman's march to the sea, the confederacy was lost.

Brechtel198 Supporting Member of TMP26 Jan 2023 9:17 a.m. PST

Gettysburg and Vicksburg were the death knell of the Confederacy.

donlowry26 Jan 2023 11:02 a.m. PST

Lee abandoned Richmond because Sherman was closing in from the south.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.