Help support TMP

"What if....." Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please don't make fun of others' membernames.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the General Historical Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

Coverbinding at Staples

How does coverbinding work?

Featured Profile Article

An Interview with Editor Claire

An interview with the most reclusive of our editors...

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

444 hits since 18 Jan 2023
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP18 Jan 2023 7:51 p.m. PST

"What if Adolf Hitler's paintings had been acclaimed, rather than met with faint praise, and he had gone into art instead of politics? Have you ever wondered whether John F Kennedy would have such a shining reputation if he had survived his assassination and been elected to a second term? Or how the United States might have fared under Japanese occupation? Or what the world would be like if nobody had invented the airplane?

If you enjoy speculating about history in these counterfactual terms, there are many books and movies to satisfy you. The counterfactual is a friend to science-fiction writers and chatting partygoers alike. Yet ‘What if?' is not a mode of discussion you'll commonly hear in a university history seminar. At some point in my own graduate-school career, I became well-acculturated to the idea that counterfactualism was (as the British historian E P Thompson wrote in 1978) ‘Geschichtwissenschlopff, unhistorical Bleeped text '…."

Main page

link

Armand

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2023 7:55 a.m. PST

If nothing else, makes for great gaming

Choctaw19 Jan 2023 9:24 a.m. PST

Another question would be how did the Japanese fare while occupying the U.S. ?

John Leahy Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2023 9:33 a.m. PST

Man in a High Castle.

dapeters19 Jan 2023 12:58 p.m. PST

Most folks don't understand that Kennedy's election was the begin of the culture wars in the US.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP19 Jan 2023 7:40 p.m. PST

(smile)

Armand

Zephyr119 Jan 2023 10:13 p.m. PST

"Another question would be how did the Japanese fare while occupying the U.S. ?"

Well, (I mean 'not well' ;-) with a rifle behind every blade of grass and rock. They couldn't even conquer China, so I don't think they'd fare well against the continental US…

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP20 Jan 2023 2:52 p.m. PST

Ha!…

Armand

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.