Help support TMP

"Is To the Strongest more popular in UK than US?" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not use bad language on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Ancients
Medieval

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Coverbinding at Staples

How does coverbinding work?

Featured Workbench Article

Using LITKO's BaseMaker

Need custom bases?

Featured Profile Article

Jot Wood Magnet

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian finds bases at the dollar store!

888 hits since 22 Nov 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Mister Tibbles22 Nov 2022 11:25 a.m. PST

Recently, I played a game of TtS at a regional con and liked the game, especially the larger basing for 15mm figures than DBA. It was the only game of TtS being played that weekend. Looking through PELs from several recent cons across the country, it didn't seem there were many games of TtS being played. (I know, it wasn't a scientific study and that TtS is 8 years old now! ;-) But it seems as if TtS is more popular in the UK than in the US? Is that a fair assessment? And if so, why would that be?

Little Red22 Nov 2022 12:22 p.m. PST

Can't speak to its overall popularity but I really like the game.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2022 12:31 p.m. PST

Anecdotally, it would seem so. I have never seen a game played at a local store or con.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2022 1:10 p.m. PST

Seems to be have never actually seen a game played locally either – I think Simon Miller is British as I recall

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2022 2:33 p.m. PST

Yes, the author and most of the play testers are British. But here in central Mississippi I use it frequently for our bi-monthly club games. I also use his ECW set "For King and Parliament!"

Jim

BrockLanders Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2022 2:51 p.m. PST

I bought the rule set and am hoping to get a first game together soon. They look like a lot of fun

enfant perdus22 Nov 2022 3:28 p.m. PST

TMP member Gonsalvo typically runs several TtS events at Historicon and they are always very enjoyable. I know a few other people have run games at HMGS-E cons using them too.

I like them very much. In fact, they inspired me to back a number of Kickstarters so I can have cool, artistic playing cards for my decks.

Grattan54 Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2022 7:47 p.m. PST

Tried it a couple of times. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

lloydthegamer Supporting Member of TMP23 Nov 2022 6:16 a.m. PST

We've played many games of TTS and for King and Parliament here in Oregon and enjoyed them all.

Legionarius23 Nov 2022 8:50 a.m. PST

TtS is my favorite ancients and medieval rules set. I have played many solo games. Our gaming group at Leavenworth KS has played it several times. We have also played For King and Parliament. Great rules, very clean and they provide believable results. We use chips drawn out of bags and it's a lot of fun to fight it out chip against chip.

mghFond23 Nov 2022 1:38 p.m. PST

I have played TtS for years now and also put on a lot of games of it in conventions I have attended. Those who played it seemed to really enjoy the game. Usually each game I've put on, there is almost always one or more players who then ask me where they can get the rules too.
I point them to Simons website.

Prince Alberts Revenge23 Nov 2022 9:17 p.m. PST

I played them at an HMGS-East con a few years back and enjoyed them thoroughly, ended up purchasing a bunch of 10mm Punic Wars stuff cheap in Wally's the same day and have played them multiple times.

Everyone who has played seemed to have enjoyed them. Here are my armies, I have the figures for a Successor army just need to paint:
link

link

Augustus26 Nov 2022 6:17 p.m. PST

It is about as popular as every other rules set.

Rules are just rules. Miniatures and terrain define the game.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.