Help support TMP

"Timecast for sale" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember not to make new product announcements on the forum. Our advertisers pay for the privilege of making such announcements.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Hobby Industry Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Little Yellow Clamps

Need some low-pressure clamps?

Featured Workbench Article

Tree Bases with DAS Clay (Again)

Will "embedding" improve the treebases?

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

922 hits since 21 Sep 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

badwargamer21 Sep 2022 1:13 a.m. PST

Just been on the Timecast website and I see they are selling up.
I hope they get a buyer for their business as they have some great products and it would be a shame to see them disappear. I also wish the current owners well with whatever the future brings.
I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come, as we all tighten our belts due to the crazy rises in costs of living. Ironically the cost of metal is going down, but its all the electric, packaging and transport costs that are hitting businesses hard. I can see so many small businesses having to close.
Unfortunately, despite checking my piggy bank I'm not able to offer to buy the range, but hopefully someone with deeper pockets can.

badwargamer21 Sep 2022 1:13 a.m. PST

Just been on the Timecast website and I see they are selling up.
I hope they get a buyer for their business as they have some great products and it would be a shame to see them disappear. I also wish the current owners well with whatever the future brings.
I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come, as we all tighten our belts due to the crazy rises in costs of living. Ironically the cost of metal is going down, but its all the electric, packaging and transport costs that are hitting businesses hard. I can see so many small businesses having to close.
Unfortunately, despite checking my piggy bank I'm not able to offer to buy the range, but hopefully someone with deeper pockets can.

Tortorella Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2022 6:45 a.m. PST

As an American who inherited a family cottage in Scotland, I can attest to the rising costs in the UK, which were already high, from petrol to electricity to the post office. The US may be feeling some pain, but not as much IMO.

Timecast is a great company, very high quality products. Their miniature buildings have a lot of character, distinctive looks. I hope they can pass it on to an equally committed buyer.

John Leahy Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2022 7:09 a.m. PST

I believe 3D printing will continue to have an increasing impact on various companies. Once the printing process becomes very simple with good quality terrain, many companies are history. Miniature companies will likely also see serious change. It isn't there yet but it's coming. Likely just a question as to how long it takes.

YMMV

Thanks

John

Personal logo Dye4minis Supporting Member of TMP21 Sep 2022 11:34 a.m. PST

Wonder if they might entertain a licensing agreement instead?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Sep 2022 3:09 p.m. PST

I'm guessing that since they produce in resin, 99% of the value of the company is the masters/molds so a license agreement woudl be pretty much the same as buying them outright.

OTOH if you mean "I'll take the company and give you X% of sales for 5 years" then that might make sense….

Personal logo Dye4minis Supporting Member of TMP22 Sep 2022 9:23 p.m. PST

That is exactly whet I meant, Mark. I'll take the company and give you X% of sales for 5 years. I would use liquid plastic rather than resin. Similar in the process but less expensive and degassing not required for casting. Establishing a USA based source of supply would greatly aid in making the brand available here and be cheaper to ship in cost and time to receive the product. If Doug might be interested (I haven't yet discussed with him), I would like to combine efforts with Miniature Terrain Concepts as he is their largest retailer in the USA to my knowledge. But Mark, it would all be in the planning and amicable agreement with the current owners.

v/r
Tom

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.