Help support TMP

"Embattled Banner: The True History of the Confederate" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

American Civil War

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Volley & Bayonet

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

1:72nd IMEX Union Artillery Limber

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian completes his initial Union force in 1:72nd scale.

Featured Workbench Article

Building Little Round Top

The goal is to build a series of gameboards covering Longstreet's Assault on the 2nd day of Gettysburg.

Featured Profile Article

First Look: Barrage's 28mm Streets & Sidewalks

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian looks at some new terrain products, which use space age technology!

Featured Book Review

470 hits since 18 Sep 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP18 Sep 2022 9:07 p.m. PST

… FLAG

""If you are a regular reader of Civil War Times, the Confederate battle flag is a familiar part of your world. The symbolism of the flag is simple and straightforward: It represents the Confederate side in the war that you enjoy studying. More than likely, your knowledge of the flag has expanded and become more sophisticated over the years. At some point, you learned that the Confederate battle flag was not, in fact, "the Confederate flag" and was not known as the "Stars and Bars." That name properly belongs to the first national flag of the Confederacy.

If you studied the war in the Western and Trans-Mississippi theaters, you learned that "Confederate battle flag" is a misnomer. Many Confederate units served under battle flags that looked nothing like the red flag with the star-studded blue cross. You may have grown up with more than just an idle knowledge of the flag's association with the Confederacy and its armies, but also with a reverence for the flag because of its association with Confederate ancestors. If you didn't, your interest in the war likely brought you into contact with people who have a strong emotional connection with the flag. And, at some point in your life, you became aware that not everyone shared your perception of the Confederate flag. If you weren't aware of this before, the unprecedented flurry of events and of public reaction to them that occurred in June 2015 have raised obvious questions that all students of Civil War history must confront: Why do people have such different and often conflicting perceptions of what the Confederate flag means, and how did those different meanings evolve?…"

Main page

link

Armand

Au pas de Charge Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2022 7:13 a.m. PST

One of the takeaways from this article is how easily systems that oppress can reinvent themselves as self pitying victims.

Tortorella Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2022 7:22 a.m. PST

A good article in many ways. The idea of displaying the flag in context, having that kind of awareness, is something we have been discussing. Does not seem to mention the idea of the flag as a symbol of acts of war against the United States, however.

Foote and Faulkner paint some great imagery, but the flag lived far beyond nostalgia.

I have said many times, one of the toughest moments of Jan 6 for me was seeing that flag in the Capitol after so many died to keep it out long ago. A very different context.

For some, that flag means danger. But as a soldiers flag, I think it finds a better place in the story.

Choctaw19 Sep 2022 7:51 a.m. PST

One of the takeaways from this article is how easily systems that oppress can reinvent themselves as self pitying victims.

As a Native American I can definitely tell you about oppressive systems and it has nothing to do with the Confederacy.

DJCoaltrain19 Sep 2022 11:14 a.m. PST

Those who served under Confederette Banners tried to kill members of my family. I'm not going to celebrate them or thank them.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP19 Sep 2022 4:10 p.m. PST

Thanks

Armand

dapeters20 Sep 2022 10:00 a.m. PST

+10 Au pas de Charge

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.