Help support TMP

"New Leviathans miniatures vs. other Aeronefs?" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please avoid recent politics on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

Areas of Interest

19th Century
Science Fiction

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Ged's Painted Emir on Horseback

Showing off the work of Gerald Cronin, the artist behind the GJM Figurines Painting Service.

Featured Workbench Article

Laser-Cut Bases for Grav Vehicles

The Editor tries a simpler solution for grav vehicle basing.

Featured Profile Article

Remembering Marx WOW Figures

If you were a kid in the 1960s who loved history and toy soldiers, you probably had a WOW figure!

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

Featured Movie Review

371 hits since 3 Aug 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

emckinney03 Aug 2022 9:10 a.m. PST

What do people think of the new Leviathans miniatures, particularly sine they're showing the nations that never got released when the first edition came out a decade ago?

I like them a lot better than a lot of the "flat deck" style aeronefs. The Leviathans also seem to fit the aesthetic for Castles in the Sky a lot better. I guess you can just get the Leviathans miniatures and play either game!

JMcCarroll03 Aug 2022 3:47 p.m. PST

Link ?

Mr Elmo03 Aug 2022 5:09 p.m. PST
javelin9803 Aug 2022 5:13 p.m. PST

The Leviathan ships are beautiful, but much larger than Brigade Models' ships. I don't think they would look right if used together.

Ga Wing03 Aug 2022 8:09 p.m. PST

I am paraphrasing here, but Mr. Farrington mentioned to me about the "WW1" focus of dreadnoughts trading broadsides in the sky (hence the limitations of airpower).

So although I agree with your idea about Leviathans fitting the aesthetic for Castles in the Sky, Brigade Models do make some zeppelins / balloons / small aircraft that are unique enough to fit the buck imho.

Tgerritsen Supporting Member of TMP03 Aug 2022 8:23 p.m. PST

Had the original and loved the miniatures, but hated the rules. I sold them off for a fair bit of coin and don't miss them.

Shagnasty Supporting Member of TMP04 Aug 2022 6:52 a.m. PST

Had a similar reaction as Tgerritsen but kept my Brits and Russkis. Anyone have suggestions for better rules?

emckinney04 Aug 2022 8:34 a.m. PST

Castles in the Sky.

That's the main reason that I'm interested in the Kickstarter and that so many of the nations are already funded.

emckinney04 Aug 2022 8:41 a.m. PST

Blog: link

German ship concepts: link

Russian ship concepts and other nation test prints: link (print quality looks pretty good)

Test prints of ships arrayed by size: link

3D models, two sample ship concepts: link

Ga Wing04 Aug 2022 6:12 p.m. PST

Shagnasty: "Castles in the sky" 10000000% if you want to get your airship fix.

Speaking of Leviathans, it looks like Catalyst Games still has the old French and British fleet boxes in stock

Here is a link to the store: link

Its a better price point than the kickstarter if all you want are the minis. $50 USD of the old fleet box gets you 1 battleship, 1 cruiser, 2 destroyers. Compare that to the $70 USD starter box pledge for 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers. Additional fleet boxes are $50 USD anyways, but you have get the starter first. Plus these won't ship until late 2023. I just want the minis. The rules look kind of convoluted to me.

I also just got a notification that the old Leviathans fleet box I ordered shipped today, so it looks like its still in stock and will be arriving in due time :)

D6 Junkie04 Aug 2022 6:18 p.m. PST

You know I love airships! I have the old Leviathan game and liked it, but I think the new system will get more players into it. And I like the more Robust look

Ga Wing04 Aug 2022 6:19 p.m. PST

The more the merrier D6 Junkie! If more people play airships (regardless of whatever ruleset) there will be more airships!

airships!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.