Help support TMP

"Coming of the 'Historical anti-Christ' to PA in July" Topic

32 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

In order to respect possible copyright issues, when quoting from a book or article, please quote no more than three paragraphs.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Conventions and Wargame Shows Message Board

Back to the Historical Wargaming in General Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Link

Featured Profile Article

Visiting Reaper - 2000!

The Editor takes a virtual tour of Reaper's new offices.

Current Poll

1,312 hits since 18 Jun 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Personal logo Analsim Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2022 1:26 p.m. PST

Happy 207th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo 1815!

Over the last year (i.e., Napoleon's 252th Birthday to Today) I've made quite a nuisance of myself, posting about my wargame design and progress towards producing the 1st Historically accurate Napoleonic Miniatures Wargame.

Now it's finally time for me to "Put up or Shut up! by providing you with the opportunity to see, hear, touch and actually play this wargame for Yourself and then decide if I've mange to attain that Goal!

Because, I will be conducting two (2) War College seminars on the topic of "The Reality of Creating Historically Valid Wargames" and will also be sponsoring three (3) wargames on the 'Battle of Maida 1806' and two more on (2) 'The Battle of Quatre Bras 1815' which will serve to debut the third and final system integration version of my Napoleonic Combat model; "Coup d'Oeil",..The Napoleonic Command Experience!

I'm confident that you will find the seminars and the actual wargame experience as rewarding as those Players did at Havoc XXXIV Wargame Convention in Boston (April 2022), who unanimously voted and awarded "Coup d'Oeil" the 'Dan Donovan Award for Design Innovation and Contribution to the Wargame Hobby.'

Regardless of any of that, if You are planning on attending Historicon this year and have any interest in Historical Wargaming at all, and can spare a couple of minutes, come by and say Hello to me and I'll be more than happy to make the effort well worth your while. ;^)

See You ALL at Historicon!

Regards,..James R. Machin (aka: Analsim)

14Bore18 Jun 2022 3:09 p.m. PST

Watching Waterloo now ( in middle) maybe see you at there

Personal logo Analsim Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2022 3:21 p.m. PST

14Bore,

I think I may join you watching it too, tonight.

However, I'll probably have to use one of my Father's Day privilege 'Free-bee in advance' to overrule any objections from my wife. ;^)

Regards,…James

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2022 5:01 a.m. PST

Analsim, I'm glad you're pleased with your final product, and I hope it's an improvement on the previous fifteen or twenty first historically accurate Napoleonic wargames. But I think you'll find you get a better reaction by waiting for someone else to say that.

Please remember that all the other creators--some of them very clever and well-read--also thought they were the end point of rules evolution.

John Simmons19 Jun 2022 10:42 a.m. PST

For those of us not at Historicon, please consider having your presentations filmed for a possible Youtube release.
Thanks, John

14Bore19 Jun 2022 11:08 a.m. PST

Not sure who else but signed up to see what you have on Saturday.
See you there

M1Fanboy19 Jun 2022 11:48 a.m. PST

Mr. Manchin,
Any chance I can sit down with you and have a chat for Military Minature magazine? We'll be at Historicon for the entire con, so come by our booth and we can talk?

Jason Weiser
Editor in Chief

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP19 Jun 2022 5:49 p.m. PST

I don't quite understand why you used the term Anti-Christ, that certainly carries a negative connotation.

Old Contemptible19 Jun 2022 7:37 p.m. PST

What scale miniatures for this game? What rules are you using? Brigades or battalions? Anti-Christ???

Old Contemptible19 Jun 2022 7:43 p.m. PST

I see two 10mm Waterloo games listed in the PEL.

Personal logo Analsim Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2022 9:00 a.m. PST

Robert Piepenbrink,

Thanks, for the feedback.

Here's my response to Your comment:
"I think you'll find you get a better reaction by waiting for someone else to say that."

FYI, the theory of combat, conceptual design & combat modeling framework that I am using in my 'Coup d'Oeil' Napoleonic design is the very same Live-Constructive, modeling framework that I used for the PGMM war fighting experiment (i.e. wargame) in 1997, the very one that OVERTURNED the findings of Rand Corps's Early Entry Force study/report and put PGMM back into development.

Thus my Answer to You is: The US Army has already told me it's great and even made a Documentary video about this Live-Constructive combat modeling technique and experimental effort, that "I will be showing to You all at Historicon 2022".

However, for the record, here's the 'short list' of people who have said so 'in black & white':

1. COL Hobbs, Director of Combat Developments, Combined Arms Maneuver Center, Ft Benning, GA.
2. COL Burgoyne, Director of US Army Battle-Lab, Ft Benning, GA.
3. COL Davis, Project Manager, Mortar Systems
4. COL Finley, Project Manager, Javelin
5. BG Ogg, Project Manager, Brigade Combat Team
6. BG Boddie, CDR, US Army Armaments Research, Development & Engineering Center (ARDEC)
7. BG Ertwine, CDR, US Army Fire Support Armaments Center (FSAC)
8. MG Armbruster, Program Executive Officer, Soldier Systems
9. Mr. Walt Hollis, Deputy Under-Secretary of the Army, Operational Research (DUSA-OR).
10. Mr. Mark, Director of Defense Research and Engineering (DDRE) for Science & Technology

REF: Verification & Validation of Combat Models
To place this V&V work in proper perspective, it is convenient to conceptually factor the overall combat process into the following four (4) major Battlefield Operating Systems (BOS):
(1) Shoot (Combat),
(2) Move (Maneuver),
(3) C3I (Command , Control , Communications, and Situational Awareness),
(4) Logistics (battlefield support).
It's then SOP to Validate and Verify each BOS individually and then again at the overall system level.

Overall I'm 90% complete in that respect. All that remains is satisfying some SA requirements at the Corps & Army Levels. These requirements deal with the implementing the Rumors and Worries of these battlefield Commanders themselves. Nothing that impacts the Combat Model itself.

So, votes are already in, and it's mainly just a matter of getting the rest of you guys onboard at Historicon 2022 and afterwards! ;^) ;^) ;^)

Regards,..James

Personal logo Analsim Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2022 9:24 a.m. PST

M1Fanboy,

I'll be happy to meet with you at the 1500hr Friday Wargame seminar, you can participate in that and we can then discuss the details over at the "Battle of Maida 1806" game table so that Jerome (my MG partner) and I can talk to you while we are setting up that battle.

If you can't make either of those events, Jerome and I will be running the 'Battle of Quatre Bras 1815' wargame twice on Saturday. So, we'll be at that location ALL Day.

Regards,

James Machin

Military Miniature Magazine20 Jun 2022 9:41 a.m. PST

I will come by and make your acquaintance, sir. I'll try to come to one of the tables so I can get some nice glamor shots!

Personal logo Analsim Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2022 9:57 a.m. PST

TMP Members,

I'm bringing my 15mm Napoleonic figures for all three wargames we are running at Historicon this year.

Cd'O uses a Ground scale of 30m per 1" AND
Figure scale of 24 AND/OR 36 depending on the type of combat arm and its nationality. We call it the 'Visual Constant." It will take you 30-seconds to grasp the concept, once you have seen it. It's part of my embedded desire to portray the "Napoleonic Battlefield Panorama" the best we can.

Combat Units are depicted in Cd'O at the: Battalion, 'CAV SQUADRON' and Battery Level, just like Napoleonic Commanders did in the past. A Battalion of 600 Soldiers is ~16 figures, A four (4) Squadron Regiment of Cavalry of 600 Troopers is ~24 (i.e., roughly 6 figures per Squadron). Artillery is replicated at 2 Cannons per gun model.

TIME is "Asymmetrical" in Cd'O and is tracked by my 9" diameter (antique) Commander's Pocket Watch.

I'm thinking about providing a Reward to the 1st Wargamer who is able to "DUMP! All of YOUR 'Old Napoleonic Wargame Paradigms' and assimilate into the Cd'O 'Synthetic Battlefield Environment'."

Sounds rather pompous on the surface, however, the usual conversion time has been about 15-20 minutes per Player, in the past. It's really got NOTHING to do with any rules, it's just a matter of How quickly You grasp the Shoot-Move & Communicate Concept.

Which many of You US Army & USMC Vets will recognize as the traditional doctrinal basis for factorization of the overall combat process. Or in the U.S. Army 's own words; "The fundamental role of ground-combat Commanders is to maneuver and engage the enemy via "Shoot, Move, and Communicate."

Once that "Light Comes On", you'll feel yourself becoming part of the Battle itself" and that's where the FUN BEGINS!

Regards,..James

robert piepenbrink Supporting Member of TMP20 Jun 2022 5:27 p.m. PST

So, not a single military historian or hobby gamer, Analsim?

I've been on Army wargames, thanks.

John Simmons20 Jun 2022 7:22 p.m. PST

I am so impressed, just about as much as the Afgans….

Gray Bear21 Jun 2022 11:03 a.m. PST

Sorry, but this thread seems like an effort to play us for chumps. It starts with the name: "Analsim." Really? I'm supposed to give credence and assume seriousness from someone who chose to use that name with which to introduce and promote a new set of rules? Then the claim of greatest game design ever, etc. , etc. Yet, no one who has been exposed to the ultimate gaming experience has chimed in with their own positive report. Next, the appeal to authority – don't, take my word for it, this design has been affirmed and applauded by military experts. The same experts that orchestrated the embarrassing decades-long Afghanistan fiasco? It appears we are being played – and not particularly well.

arthur181521 Jun 2022 12:35 p.m. PST

"..the theory of combat, conceptual design & combat modeling framework that I am using in my 'Coup d'Oeil' Napoleonic design is the very same Live-Constructive, modeling framework that I used for the PGMM war fighting experiment (i.e. wargame) in 1997" suggests to me that it might be the PGMM wargame and related modelling that the various US officers listed were praising, rather than this new, Napoleonic version.

I have no idea whether these officers have sufficient knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars to judge the historical realism of this new game. The absence of any respected military historian supporting this concept may – or may not – be significant.

14Bore21 Jun 2022 12:41 p.m. PST

Now wondering if I would be wasting my Saturday

Old Contemptible21 Jun 2022 1:49 p.m. PST

Someone take a picture of the "Historical anti-Christ" and post it here." How is it different from the regular anti-Christ?

14Bore21 Jun 2022 4:00 p.m. PST

Oh I plan to be there and have instant capability to post online

Rev Zoom21 Jun 2022 11:42 p.m. PST

Is anyone running a Column Line And Square game?

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2022 5:03 a.m. PST

I Googled "The Reality of Creating Historically Valid Wargames" and "Dan Donovan Award" but all I found was this posting on TMP.

But I did find this: link

and this: link

Having been a lowly enlisted grunt this stuff is interesting but way over my head.

I'm thinking about providing a Reward to the 1st Wargamer who is able to "DUMP! All of YOUR 'Old Napoleonic Wargame Paradigms' and assimilate into the Cd'O 'Synthetic Battlefield Environment'."

"Resistance is futile"
The Borg Queen

But seriously, let's see what the guy has, you may find something in it you like. I'll be a spectator and am reserving judgment.

Wolfhag

John Simmons22 Jun 2022 7:07 a.m. PST

'Synthetic Battlefield Environment'

Word Salad is up for dinner.

The Matrix, merged with the Infowars, what is reality?

"Ignore the women in the Red Dress"!

Looks good, gets your attention but don't be tricked.

The model is proven against third world, yet Ukraine shows the system might breakdown vs. 'First World'.

So I am thinking it failed the test, not impressed with the list of names given.

Rev Zoom22 Jun 2022 8:29 a.m. PST

"Ignore the women in the Red Dress"!

More like, "Ignore the man behind the curtain."

So much self aggrandizing promotion sets off all the red flags for me and the klaxon, like on a destroyer, starts going off "AVOID, AVOID, AVOID."

ARMY Strong22 Jun 2022 8:50 a.m. PST

For a hobby threat and someone who is trying to promote the hobby you guys sure bash Analsim, how about let him show his product then give him some valuable criticism.

DaleWill Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2022 10:06 a.m. PST

I think I have to agree with ARMY Strong. I'm going to be at the lecture and play in one of the games. It may be the best thing since sliced bread or just another rules set. Probably something in between. I know I'd never tried to publish a set of rules and I commend anyone who gives it a shot.

14Bore22 Jun 2022 12:06 p.m. PST

Lifelong Napoleonic player only, still play Empire III, this might be all over my head but do want to see so willing to try and help out. Hope to see a few of you there.

carnot22 Jun 2022 2:35 p.m. PST

Carnage and Glory is still the longest running, with consistent games at HMGS conventions since 1991. The PEL includes over 25 CG games and about 50 percent are NNapoleonic…good luck with the flavor of the month.

Rev Zoom22 Jun 2022 5:12 p.m. PST

Well, the initial anti-Christ title puts me off – for obvious reasons – as well as the I have made something better than everything else approach. Now, if someone comes and ays "Hey, I put a lot of effort and research into this and I think it models Napoleonic battlefield warfare to a Tee. Come and try it out." then I would be much more inclined to do so, even though I am not a Napoleonic fan.

Gray Bear22 Jun 2022 7:31 p.m. PST

Agree with Rev Zoom on both points.

Wolfhag Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2022 10:13 a.m. PST

Don't shoot the messenger just to ignore the message.

It's clear he's from the military/DoD culture which is fine and a somewhat different perspective than most of us.

It would be nice if he had some graphics or videos to help explain the process too.

I would not get too wrapped up in his presentation style. I think it's an attempt at humor but it has made for a lively discussion.

Wolfhag

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.