Help support TMP

"Black Seas frigate - first attempt" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember not to make new product announcements on the forum. Our advertisers pay for the privilege of making such announcements.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Age of Sail Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance
18th Century
Napoleonic
19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

1:700 Black Seas British Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints brigs for the British fleet.

Featured Workbench Article

Building the Langton Miniatures Capitana

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian proves himself a fan of splintered oars, crashing beakheads, and drummers yelling "come'mon, you scurves! The Captain wants to go water skiing, so pull harder!"

Featured Profile Article

The Gates of Old Jerusalem

The gates of Old Jerusalem offer a wide variety of scenario possibilities.

Featured Book Review

458 hits since 16 May 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Bozkashi Jones16 May 2022 1:21 p.m. PST

Well, there have been many on this page who have inspired 1/3000, 1/2400, 1/1200, 1/700 you name it, I have found inspiration and for that I thank you.

So, in the interests of persuading at least one other to take the plunge (if I can do it…), I am posting my (unfinished) first attempt and taking the opportunity to seek advice.

This is the MNF Marianne, the fictitious flagship of a small flotilla operating from Guadalupe. In 1801 she and her consort of brigs and privateers found themselves pitted against the British invasion of Saint Marie (a fictitious island, familiar to anyone who's ever watched the Anglo-French show 'Death in Paradise').

When doing the rigging I thought, 'this is the fiddliest bit'. Then, when doing the sails, I thought, 'No; THIS is the fiddliest bit…'). This morning I tried (and failed) to fit the ratlines now; they ARE the fiddliest bit!

Any advice most welcome please!

All said though, she has been an absolute joy to put together. I'll be using Kiss Me Hardy but the campaign will be a while yet this one ship has taken me 5 days, on and off, and it's not even finished!

And please don't forget the advice!

Cheers,

Nick

jocknroll16 May 2022 1:43 p.m. PST

fine work indeed!

Bozkashi Jones16 May 2022 1:58 p.m. PST

Kind words indeed from you, Jocknroll; your work is astounding. Thanks for the reply on the youtube channel about where to get the scenery boards – they will certainly feature as the coast of Saint Marie, now I know where to get them!

I still hope to get to Partizan to see your games there, but I'm still negotiating myself out of an agricultural show in Lincolnshire. Fingers crossed, eh?

Best wishes matey,

Nick

Stew art Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2022 2:24 p.m. PST

Good job. It looks good.

I'm already committed to 1/1200 scale but the three kits are intriguing.

-Stew

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2022 4:57 p.m. PST

Great looking model.

Personal logo Yellow Admiral Supporting Member of TMP16 May 2022 6:01 p.m. PST

This morning I tried (and failed) to fit the ratlines now; they ARE the fiddliest bit!

Any advice most welcome please!

Stop trying to tie all the ratline knots yourself and just use netting. grin

A lot of Black Seas modelers seem to like using ratline jigs to fabricate a custom-fit set of ratlines and stays as a single piece with thread and glue:

You can make one yourself, buy an STL for one and 3D print it, or have one printed for you.

I actually think it's okay to leave off the ratlines and just install the stays. A splayed array of vertical lines from hull to crow's nest is what really makes the impression, and the ratlines are usually invisible at the same scale on real ships anyway.

Anton Ryzbak16 May 2022 7:01 p.m. PST

I do believe that there are some photo-etched ones that might come in handy, a cowardly way out compared to tying them yourself, and I am happy to be that coward

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian18 May 2022 3:59 a.m. PST

Very nicely done. For what it is worth i don't like tying anything at this scale. As it leaves out of scale knots. I prefer pulled sprue. I agree – stays look good but I also like me some lifts.

Personal logo Virtualscratchbuilder Supporting Member of TMP Fezian18 May 2022 4:00 a.m. PST

Again though very nicely done.

Bozkashi Jones19 May 2022 5:20 a.m. PST

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.

I'll be honest, I'm planning on just using the acetate ratlines provided with the WG kits. They're still a sod to fit though.

Nick

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.