Help support TMP

"Battle of the Catalunian Field 451 AD" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please don't make fun of others' membernames.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Ancients

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Triumph!

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Profile Article

The Gates of Old Jerusalem

The gates of Old Jerusalem offer a wide variety of scenario possibilities.

397 hits since 14 Jan 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2022 9:21 a.m. PST

All,
I want to try and do a "bathtubbed" version of the battle with my Elastolins. I'm having a hard time trying to find out if there is any terrain that would impact the battle. Maps that come up on google vary in what they show.

Huscarle14 Jan 2022 10:26 a.m. PST

The actual battle site isn't known. The Roman forces supposedly started on the high ground. To quote from the following link, "Attila chose a site near the Marne River, a wide plain which he positioned his men across, facing north…"

link

I suppose the ridge and the river are the only known main features of the battlefield.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP14 Jan 2022 10:33 a.m. PST

Thanks, yes that's what I was able to determine. I set up the table with the Marne on one side and the ridge running from the middle of the opposite side to just shy of the center of the table. I added some trees around it.

williamb15 Jan 2022 9:21 a.m. PST

Check the Osprey book on the battle and campaign. link
Well researched account by Simon MacDowell.

Martyn K15 Jan 2022 10:16 a.m. PST

I have been doing a lot of reading on this battle. In particular the account by Jordanes and the interpretation of this account by modern authors. My aim is to put on a large game at Historicon in 2023.

I have found that I am not in total agreement with some of the modern authors. I think that the ridge is far more important than they do and extends the length of the battlefield.

I have done a few blog posts and plan to do a few more at collegeofkings.com as the project progresses. Hopefully these posts can be useful to you and perhaps give a different perspective.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP17 Jan 2022 7:51 a.m. PST

I just finished the game. It was close fought and bloody. The "Romans" held the field in the end by sweeping the Huns from the ridge.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.