Help support TMP

"1799 Russian Grenadiers - Sanaev - 18mm Sho Boki" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Action Log

12 Jan 2022 12:58 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "1799 Russian Grenadiers - Sanaev - 18 mm Sho Boki" to "1799 Russian Grenadiers - Sanaev - 18mm Sho Boki"

Areas of Interest

General
18th Century
Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Showcase Article

Lemax Christmas Trees

It's probably too late already this season to snatch these bargains up...

Featured Workbench Article

3Dprinting A River

Playing with rivers on a 3Dprinter.

Featured Profile Article

Current Poll

409 hits since 12 Jan 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

von Winterfeldt12 Jan 2022 6:03 a.m. PST

Sho sculpted very nice miniatures – Russian musketeers, fusiliers and grenadiers – and I couldn't resist to paint some as soon as they arrived. Those Russians fought in Italy under the renowned Suvarov, in Switzerland under Riminsky Korsakof and also along with the Brits in the 1799 invasion of Holland.

I chose grenadier for a change, there I did not have to worry about the colours, because fortunately like their Prussian counterparts they did not carry any.

I picked the historical grenadier battalion Sanaev which was made up by two grenadier companies of regiment Veletsky and Kamensky each. I chose also because the miniatures match one of the 4 uniform coat variations the Russians used at that time. The first company had white tuffts on the mitres – the second red.

The facing colour or regiment Veletsky caused raised eye brows and the description ranges from burnt milk, flesh, wood, to isabell, those for Kamensky – just grey, so not a lot of contrast.

url=https://postimg.cc/cKr1K0qb]

url=https://postimg.cc/18W554dF]

also Sho added a bonus miniature of Suvarov himself, who often presented himself in shirt sleeves only and use cossack horses. Alongside to him the mounted battalion commander of Grenadier battalion Sanaev.

Though Sho supplies horses, I used AB ones, there I liked the light canter pose – one has to do some carving and filing to make them fit, but in the end – a gratifying result.

The miniatures are painted with Contrast and my conventional technique with hobby acrylics and artist water colours.

url=https://postimages.org/]

Fred Mills12 Jan 2022 7:38 a.m. PST

Wonderful looking figures and a brilliant job of painting and basing. Bravo!

Sho Boki Sponsoring Member of TMP12 Jan 2022 8:45 a.m. PST

Great painting!
But I myself don't have such AB horse poses, AB releases some new horse sets?

Carta195812 Jan 2022 10:58 a.m. PST

Hi Sho, looks like AB Napoleonic light horse trotting to me.
Nothing new. Could be wrong.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2022 11:19 a.m. PST

Nicely done.

14Bore12 Jan 2022 2:40 p.m. PST

Excellent figures and painting

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP12 Jan 2022 2:50 p.m. PST

Superb as usual vW.

And gratifying detail so I can suitably emboss my 'new' 28mm the same way, tho without the skillset shown.
cheers d

shadoe0112 Jan 2022 4:25 p.m. PST

Great job, von W. I'm not likely to start my Suvarov Boki stuff for awhile but hopefully in the near future. 1806-07 Prussians are currently taking precedence in the painting queue.

Green Tiger15 Jan 2022 1:37 a.m. PST

Nice work – If these had come out a pinch sooner I'd have used them rather than 20mm but too late now!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.