Help support TMP

"Hungary 1848 #12: Vác - a fighting withdrawal" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please avoid recent politics on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Battle Reports Message Board

Areas of Interest

19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Rank & File

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

War of the Worlds Martian Tripod

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian reveals a long-lost Martian tripod.

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

455 hits since 5 Jan 2022
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

ChrisBBB2 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2022 2:28 a.m. PST

My New Wargaming Year began in fine style, an excellent day's wargaming with beautiful troops on gorgeous terrain and good company. This was the twelfth game in the series of 15 which I've been fighting through for the past year. A fighting withdrawal makes for a game with plenty of tricky decisions and rapid manoeuvre, always good fun. Full photo-heavy AAR on the BBBBlog:
link

Swampking05 Jan 2022 5:36 a.m. PST

Hey Chris,

Awesome AAR – lots of great photos of the awesome terrain and minis! Out of curiosity, what minis are you using for the Russians. My guess is FPW Prussians because in 6mm, who can tell the difference (besides the Russians in green and the Prussians in blue).

I also spotted a few really cool Hungarian units on the table. It is very beautiful terrain – once I finish up my 1792 Russo-Polish War project, I may have to revisit my 1848 Hungarian project and get some Russians as well! I've got to do this battle in 15mm!

All in all, great AAR!

ChrisBBB2 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2022 6:15 a.m. PST

Thanks, John! You guessed right – as I confessed at the end of the AAR, those are my FPW Prussians standing in for the Russians. I agree about the cool Hungarian units. Eg, though the AAR doesn't mention it, the advance guard includes the German Legion. I guess you may already have seen my post last year showcasing my Hungarian army:
link

The Russians are worth having. On the main front they fought some significant actions at Tura and Debrecen, as well some smaller skirmishes while pursuing Gorgei, and they also did most of the fighting in Transylvania.

Best of luck with expanding your own 1848 project!

Swampking05 Jan 2022 10:28 a.m. PST

Hey Chris,

I've already painted up the Tyrolean Legion and the Vienna Student's Legion but then, I got sidetracked into finishing my 1792 Poles/Lithuanians and Russians. Hopefully, by April I can get back to the 1848 Hungarians and Serbs – I decided to start with those armies first, as the Serbs had some cool uniforms.

By the way, my friends call me 'Eric'! ;)

Keep up the awesome work!

Happy gaming and all the best for 2022!

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2022 12:34 p.m. PST

I read a couple of books on the war a few years ago. It is quite an interesting conflict.

ChrisBBB2 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2022 12:37 p.m. PST

Well, pleased to meet you, Eric! 1792 Poles/Lithuanians and 1848 Serbs are esoteric enough to deserve my respect. :-) It has been fascinating to read about the Serbian insurrection and the battles on the southern front. I have a hankering to visit northern Serbia, especially the Titel Plateau with its remarkable geography. And I rue not buying a lavish colour illustrated book on it all when I was in Belgrade – but the Cyrillic alphabet is not my strong point.

Happy gaming in 2022 to you and anyone else who's reading this!

NickinRI Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2022 2:40 p.m. PST

That is stunning.

Swampking06 Jan 2022 2:02 p.m. PST

Chris,

I know it's a long shot but do you remember the title of the book in Serbian? I can read Cyrillic Serbian with the help of a dictionary. I also work with a few Serbs at my university in Poland, so translating it won't (or shouldn't be) that big of a deal.

Most of the information I have on the Serbs comes from Hungarian and German sources. I can't seem to find any good books in Serbian on the conflict in particular. Admittedly, my 'Googlefu' might be a bit rusty but still, there should be something out there.

I have yet to visit Transylvania and the Banat/Batschka region, although it is on the list. The Military History Museum in Budapest is definitely worth a visit if you get back over to Hungary and/or Serbia. I was there a few years back and it was awesome!

If you think the 1792 Poles/Lithuanians are esoteric, you should see my 1788 Norwegian and Swedish armies! :)

ChrisBBB2 Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2022 2:53 p.m. PST

Sorry, too long a shot, buddy. All I remember is that it covered the '48 (possibly other C19 Serbian wars too), was mostly text but with a decent number of colour plates, cost >£40 and my carry-on bag was already too full. :-(

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.