Help support TMP

"Rocket propelled grenade" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

In order to respect possible copyright issues, when quoting from a book or article, please quote no more than three paragraphs.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Vietnam War Message Board

Areas of Interest

Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Workbench Article

Painting Hasslefree's Not Hot Fuzz Nick & Sam

Personal logo Dentatus Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian tackles two subjects from his favorite sculptor.

324 hits since 12 Oct 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
tomrommel112 Oct 2021 11:48 p.m. PST

Another RPG armed VC or NVA soldier. After a longer brake, due to work constrains, I have started painting again. I also started with a bigger gaming project of a campaign of patroling in the Nam. More on this in the future.

more pictures at: link

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2021 1:10 a.m. PST

Because I am nowe so used to M4 Shermans, I was going to say I hope the M48 hull-gunner spots him first. Now I see there was no such fitting. No wonder infantry support was so critical in built up areas especially.

Skarper13 Oct 2021 2:02 a.m. PST

The bow machine gun was seldom much use apparently and having a weak spot and a less sloped hull front meant they were deleted from post war designs.

M113s often fell victim to RPGs but M48s were a tougher prospect. Sheridans were vulnerable too and the M41s that equipped the ARVN armoured units too.

From research I did years ago the warhead had to strike pretty much at right angles to get it's full penetration effect and the shape of M48s made this tricky, plus the armour was quite thick.

Nice figure. Like the mix of black trousers and green shirt.

PAVN usually had a set of black clothing so they could blend in with NLF forces when the need arose. This guy's green trousers are probably in the wash…

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2021 4:52 a.m. PST

Nice reply Skarper. You should become active on Fields of Fire Roladed again.

Tom

troopwo Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2021 9:43 a.m. PST

Deadhead, pm sent.

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2021 9:02 a.m. PST

and really interesting info on the vulnerability of various AFVs to RPGs.

When FIBUA, in an AFV, with only ARVN support, and facing an RPG or nowadays any ATGM, it is all too easy to be KIA.

This RPG7 was clearly a major advance on the RPG2.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.