Help support TMP

"1920s Gangster Era Buildings" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not use bad language on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

GallopingJack Checks Out The Terrain Mat

Mal Wright Fezian goes to sea with the Terrain Mat.

Featured Workbench Article

From Flower to Sapling?

Can a plastic flower become a wargaming shrub? Or maybe a small tree?

Featured Profile Article

The da Vinci Jr. 1.0 3D Printer: Unboxing & Test Print

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian unpacks and sets up an inexpensive 3D printer, and prints a test object.

Featured Book Review

394 hits since 12 Oct 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Captain Avatar12 Oct 2021 11:34 a.m. PST

I have always wanted to do Gangsters and picked up The Chicago Way. I saw Means Streets paper terrain and they look nice, but are too 2D for my taste.

I am thinking of mixing my table with both Old 25mm Chicago Gangster resin buildings with the 4Ground The Chicago Way and Gothic City MDF ranges. Anyone know how mixing my layout with both MDF and resin will look? Would it be better to stick with one? I would like to large city blocks.

mad monkey 112 Oct 2021 12:13 p.m. PST

Check out this stuff:
link

dragon6 Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2021 12:26 p.m. PST

I have nothing to do with Mean Streets paper terrain but 2D? They are fully 3D and have interior rooms/hallways available for purchase. Look for Mean Sets.

It's true the paper building have smooth exteriors. More 3D? Print the exterior a second time, carefully cur the windows out and either glue the windows over the windows in the wall or cut that window out, glue the window a backing sheet and glue it back in position but now recessed into the wall.

You can go as wild as you want with this. Individual glass panes? Cut the wood frames and glue them over the frames printed on the window. Thicker window frame surrounds, now you have 3 or 4 thicknesses.

Or go to link which lists lots of 3D paper terrain makers like Jerry Jensen's Paper Modeling Guide, Dave Graffam models, Carl Stoelzel's Structures

Great stuff

Royal Air Force12 Oct 2021 12:30 p.m. PST

You can '3D-ify' Mean Streets by judicious use of a second print applied over the base building on balsa or foam core

FusilierDan12 Oct 2021 4:11 p.m. PST

I've used 4Ground and Plasticville together and they seemed fine to me.

I haven't seen these in the flesh but they look good on screen.
link

The price of Mean Streets is tough to beat when doing a large layout though.

Sergeant Paper13 Oct 2021 7:37 p.m. PST

And the Mean Streets are set up as block sections already, not individual buildings.

I need to dig my printed copies out and make some more of them.

Toaster13 Oct 2021 10:35 p.m. PST

If you want to build your own checkout Matakishi's Tea House link

Robert

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.