Help support TMP

"Mohawk Valley, British, Indians and Militia" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Brother Against Brother

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

28mm Acolyte Vampires - Based

The Acolyte Vampires return - based, now, and ready for the game table.

Featured Profile Article

Council of Five Nations 2010

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian is back from Council of Five Nations.

708 hits since 2 Oct 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
carojon03 Oct 2021 1:13 a.m. PST

After a couple of years building lots of Age of Sail ships I thought it would make a pleasant detour to share some of the love to my AWI collection of 28mm Perry Miniatures that have been patiently awaiting the brush.

picture

The collection was started in September 2019 with the building of elements of Sir John Johnson's King's Royal Regiment of New York and I have gradually added more miniatures to enable a Mohawk Valley range of units to be created around them.

picture

The eventual aim will be to field forces representing both sides at the Battle of Klock's Field 19th October 1780 and some of the other smaller engagements fought along the Niagara, Champlain frontier.

picture

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ's

link

JJ

John the OFM03 Oct 2021 1:52 a.m. PST

Very nice figures. Well done.
I'll have to look up the battle you're building for.

GamesPoet Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2021 3:17 a.m. PST

Looks like a wonderful project, including what was reveiwed on your log page, congrats!

OSCS7403 Oct 2021 3:33 a.m. PST

excellent

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2021 5:50 a.m. PST

Great looking figures.

John the OFM03 Oct 2021 7:09 a.m. PST

So I looked up Klock's field. Never heard of it, but looks very gameable.
And it means that I can use my lovely Front Rank Joseph Brant figure as Joseph Brant.

The best battle reports are those, like yours, that inspire us to do it ourselves. Good job.

mjkerner03 Oct 2021 7:14 a.m. PST

Gavin Watts covers that battle and others along the Mohawk in one of this three books, just can't remember which one. I think "The Burning of the Valley". Great figs, carojon.

huron72503 Oct 2021 8:18 a.m. PST

Fantastic paint jobs!

epturner Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2021 10:18 a.m. PST

Sometime in the last century, I visited Klock's Field.

I had participated in a re-enactment at FT Stanwix, and my wife and I decided to just drive the Mohawk Valley and see all these neat little sites along the way.

Love your figures, really well done. Thanks for sharing them.

Eric

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2021 12:52 p.m. PST

Very nice.

carojon03 Oct 2021 10:27 p.m. PST

Hi all,
Thanks very much for your comments and glad you liked the post.

I have had a long interest in the activities along the New York, Quebec border in the AWI and War of 1812 since and before visiting the area with my long-suffering wife, on a honeymoon trip to the States in 1988.

The book ‘The Burning of the Valleys' by Canadian historian and a re-enactor in the KRRNY, Gavin K. Watt is a great resource for the campaigns of Butler, Johnson, Brant and others that followed in the wake of Saratoga, and particularly Johnson's ‘Great Raid in 1780 that culminated in the Battles of Stone Arabia and Klock's Field.

In addition the local historians in the area have put up some great resources on the web recounting the experiences from the American perspective and my previous posts on the blog link to them, together with the excellent period maps of the Mohawk and Cherry Valleys that have inspired a planned Sharp Practice campaign.

I think the variety of units this theatre generates together with the multiple mini-campaigns fought in the area makes it a perfect theme for Sharp Practice and other similarly large skirmish type rules and has long been a collection in the planning.

I look forward to being able to do some game AAR's once the collection is done.

Games Poet – Thank you, Will and his Year Group are a remarkable bunch of graduates taking everything that was thrown at them in their studies as they were called on to respond to the pandemic, and so it was extra special to be able to celebrate their achievement.

Cheers
JJ

historygamer05 Oct 2021 4:10 a.m. PST

Very nicely done, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Oddball08 Oct 2021 5:04 a.m. PST

Another good book on the region is "Bloody Mohawk". It covers the period from early European (Germans, much to my surprise) contact with natives and how Englishman Johnson later won their respect through honesty and bravery.

Then it goes into how it all fell apart and the extensive fighting that took place along the river.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.