Help support TMP

"Lamenting the loss of the old Polythene Airfix M113" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not post offers to buy and sell on the main forum.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Cold War (1946-1989) Message Board

Action Log

12 Sep 2021 10:46 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Lamenting the loss of the old poythese Airfix M113" to "Lamenting the loss of the old Polythene Airfix M113"

Areas of Interest

Modern

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

A Fistful of TOWs

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Workbench Article

Back to Paper Modeling - with the Hoverfly

The Editor returns to paper modeling after a long absence.

Featured Profile Article

First Look: GF9's 15mm Dresden House

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian examines another house in this series.

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

Featured Movie Review

678 hits since 12 Sep 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
UshCha12 Sep 2021 7:17 a.m. PST

I miss the Airfix Polythene plastic models. They were virtually indestructible. As a Kid the problem was getting paint to stick, many (many) years on the paint will stick and the indestructible bit counts for lots. All my 1/72 M113's have stupidly fragile Mar Browning so all are gone. No such problem with polythene M113's.

not enough interest in 1/72 to 3D print new ones as it's now a very secondary scale for me. Most of my games are 1/144.

Londonplod Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2021 9:27 a.m. PST

I always found it odd that the M113 had an enormous M79 grenade launcher for armament instead of a .50.
Even odder was that they didn't make figures to go with it, until the bitter end

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP12 Sep 2021 10:11 a.m. PST

The "M113" was actually based on an FV432

FABET0112 Sep 2021 11:37 a.m. PST

The M113 preceded the FV432 by at least 2 years.

nickinsomerset12 Sep 2021 12:25 p.m. PST

Yes, the Polythene one is more 432 than 113. Round rear hull hatch, commanders cupola on the right hand side,

Tally Ho!

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2021 4:48 a.m. PST

it's the Panther, Tiger and the not available for very long Sherman and T-34 that I miss. Ok models, impossible to damage and cheap as chips.

if only they'd taken paint better!

UshCha13 Sep 2021 10:43 a.m. PST

Well all may not be lost. I found a Kids 1/72 M113 for £5.99 GBP inc. postage, not perfect buy a lot less than others at £12.00 GBP+ that are hopeless far too much fragile detail for a war game model.

Personal logo David Manley Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2021 12:23 p.m. PST

The Elefant was the real prize, I managed to get a couple. The 25pdr and Quad was a really nice model as well, my 8th Army collection had a few.

They had the added bonus that you could throw them at enemies (or useless allies) in a fit of rage and not damage them (apart from flaking the paint) :)

Personal logo 20thmaine Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2021 5:44 p.m. PST

I got the couple of Elefants I wanted – but I really wanted a few troops of the Shermans. But the model shop was always out of stock and the last ones of the range released were only available for a few months (as I recall it, anyway).

'Twas darn annoying that the WWII Assault sets all came with Centurions, "M113", an SPG and a Patton. I think the Pontoon bridge set had the decency to include a DUKW.

Someone is selling MIB vehicles for £50.00 GBP each on Ebay. Probably a bit steep, but there were some unboxed APCs for ~8 + £8.00 GBP/postage

UshCha16 Sep 2021 3:00 a.m. PST

Ebay Toy arrived "A toZ Build and Play" M113 AZ pretty good model for the price. More than adequate for `1/72' wargameing, and cheap.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.