Help support TMP

"Winter Wolves: Safari Ltd.'s toy?" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please avoid recent politics on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Battlesystem Message Board

Back to the Fantasy RPG Message Board

Areas of Interest

Fantasy

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Kings of War

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

GF9 Fire and Explosion Markers

Looking for a way to mark explosions or fire?

Featured Book Review

971 hits since 2 Sep 2021
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP03 Sep 2021 1:41 p.m. PST

Here is a link to their site which has a video on it, giving a 360-degree view, as well as dimensions: 3.6" long x 2.2" tall x 1.8" wide. Before you think this toy is too large, take a look at the size descriptions for this monster, from the 1e/2e rules:

1e Monster Manual: Size L

2e Monster Manual: Size L (7-12 feet)

I do not know what size is listed for it in later Editions, but for 1e/2e games, the creatures would be 7-12 feet tall, at the shoulder, which in 25mm = 5 scale feet, would make this particular model 11 feet tall, at the shoulder, well within the 7-12 foot range. Though I have not seen one, yet, the factory paint job looks tolerable (better than mine…) -- if not, it can easily be painted to the owner's standard.

I bought several old plastic, Marx White Wolves, some years ago. My purpose was to use them as Winter Wolves for my G2: Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl adventure. The Marx Wolves are OK, but they are really lacking details, being quite smooth.

I did, however, add a stream of white frost breath to one of them. I used DM Scotty's technique, modified. I took a wedge of plastic sandwich bag material, cut to size; I applied Hot Glue to it, to give it texture -- this also rippled it, making it wavy, like it is coming out in more of a cone shape (nice effect!). I painted it white, and I Hot Glued it into the mouth of the figure (not a big fan of the Glitter Glue concept Scotty recommends, though). This same technique could be applied to the Safari Ltd. Winter Wolf figures, if desired.

I guess I am smitten with the Safari Ltd. Winter Wolves. I may replace my Marx figures with some of these.

No matter what I do, I think I will repaint the Marx Wolves, to see if I can improve them just a bit (not a fan of the Glitter Glue that Scotty recommended). I initially wanted to avoid using a black wash on them, but looking at the Safari Ltd. Wolves, I am rethinking my color choices.

Looking at the photo, and the mini's, I realize now that the Marx Wolves are just barely 7 feet tall, at the heads! I think I just might talk myself into buying some new, Winter Wolves…

Hoping to run some games of G2, this Fall/Winter. Need to get my act together, and finish the few Frost Giants left to paint up. Haven't touched the Remorhaz, yet, either. I do have a YouTube painting video to follow on how I might color that, so I should be able to move that train along its tracks -- just paint it by the numbers! I've got around four Yeti's painted up, and I bought a couple of pre-painted D&D Snow Leopards; I also have some bluish Giant Snow Toad toys I found at the toy store. I can make up some White Puddings with my Hot Glue Gun. I need to run through the module to make sure I am not missing any monsters the PC's might encounter…

Considering using 2e BattleSystem Skirmish rules: miniatures skirmish game with a lite veneer of RPG over the top. A 15th level Fighter would have 15 Hits, and every strike which penetrates their AC, removes a Hit. Combat would be superbly fast to play out. Spells and magic devices play the same as the RPG, except for the Hit Point part. Cheers!

CeruLucifus04 Sep 2021 1:32 p.m. PST

That white frost breath looks cool. I have used DM Scotty's technique (hot glue streaked on clear plastic, painted suitable colors) for water and fire but not yet for spell effects. I agree with you about the glitter.

Size L models are supposed to fit on a 2" circular base. I do the same as you and use a 1x2" for 4-legged size L models (horses etc). But it sounds like these Safari models are too big for that?

I don't have my 2e books any more but possibly 2e L(7-12) is what later editions call H, the next size up, which is a 3" circular base? Or I guess using our slimmed 4-legged base, a 1.5x3" or similar?

As far as should you get them? Yes, obviously. You want to have 2 sizes in your collection, for the pack leaders etc.

Personal logo Sgt Slag Supporting Member of TMP05 Oct 2021 6:22 a.m. PST

!Brain Fart Alert!…

I got the Schleich White Wolves. They are as tall as my 60mm Viking figures I use for Frost Giants -- ack! I meant to find models that matched the correct sizes listed in the 1977 1e AD&D Monster Manual. But, I was looking at their sizes listed in the 2e AD&D Monstrous Manual, and I failed to translate the inch sizes listed in the web catalog, with the millimeter sizes I needed, and I mashed the 1e/2e sizes together, to make mud in my brain… They are way too tall/large for what I need. They are the size of horses for the 60mm Viking figures! If I wanted Frost Giant/Winter Wolf Cavalry, they would work superbly. But, I don't want that. Well, at this point I don't. The search continues. Cheers!

PS:

Winter Wolf Frost Giant cavalry is very tempting! The Wolves can breathe a short Cone of Cold. That is really tempting. I know I could cut the Viking figures off of their bases; cut their knees and thighs, attaching them in a riding position with Green Stuff epoxy. "Down, Boy! Down! Stop!"

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.