Help support TMP

"Can you play Check Your Six on a 36 x 24 hex area?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please don't call someone a Nazi unless they really are a Nazi.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two in the Air

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

1:285th Scale Sturmoviks from C-in-C

Beowulf Fezian paints up some WWII Soviet aircraft.

Featured Workbench Article

Building & Painting Scotia's 1/300 Stuka

With the release of the Check Your 6! rules, Monkey Hanger Fezian finds his interest in WWII air-combat gaming has rekindled.

Featured Profile Article

Report from OrcCon 2008

Personal logo Wyatt the Odd Supporting Member of TMP Fezian reports from OrcCon 2008.

806 hits since 21 Jul 2021
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

bong6722 Jul 2021 8:32 a.m. PST

Hi,
I got a custom hex mat made for Check Your Six printed with 50mm hexes. Unfortunately I made a mistake with the hex sizing and said I wanted the hexes 50 mm across the flats instead of across the points so the hexes are slightly bigger than they should be. This means the mat is about 36 x 24 hexes instead of the recommended 45 x 30 hexes. Will Check Your Six scenarios work in a 36 x 24 hex area?

Tgerritsen Supporting Member of TMP22 Jul 2021 9:27 a.m. PST

It's tight, but depending on the scenario, it should be fine. Just don't play large battles and you should be ok.

BattlerBritain22 Jul 2021 9:29 a.m. PST

Most CY6 scenarios should fit in about that.

I play on a 4ft by 4ft table which is about 30 x 30 hexes.

That seems to be big enough for most scenarios I've come across.

I find that using some home made cardboard markers showing where a CY6 board ends is useful as it allows the shifting of units if space needs to be rearranged.

bong6722 Jul 2021 10:40 a.m. PST

Hi,
Thanks for the helpful replies. I think it's worth at least trying the mat amd hopefully it should work ok.

d88mm194022 Jul 2021 11:13 a.m. PST

You can always use the 'continues sky' method. Like in naval battles. As long as there isn't a permanent land mass, just shift everyone 4, 8, or 12 hexes in the open direction. It's best to move an even number and have just one person shift.
Heck, when we played Mustangs and Messerschmitts on the floor, you could 'fly into the next room'! You would fly into the wall and come out on the opposite side of the room.

Jcfrog22 Jul 2021 11:38 a.m. PST

Also depends on the planes sizes no? You could uxe 1/700 or 1/1200.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.