Help support TMP

"Napoleon's Camp Followers" Topic

25 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Media Message Board

Back to the 6mm Napoleonics Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA)

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

28mm Captain Boel Umfrage

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian returns to Flintloque to paint an Ogre.

Featured Workbench Article

Painting 1:700 Black Seas French Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints his first three ships from the starter set.

Featured Profile Article

Report from Bayou Wars 2006

The Editor heads for Vicksburg...

1,719 hits since 1 Jul 2021
©1994-2023 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Gazzola01 Jul 2021 5:45 a.m. PST

Just finished reading the Osprey title Napoleon's Women Camp Followers by Terry Crowdy. A great little book full of fascinating info concerning a different and human side to warfare that many may not be aware of. There are no battle descriptions but I would still recommend this title for anyone interested in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic period and it certainly adds to our collective knowledge.

Now all I've got to do is convince Adler to bring out a Camp Followers range as well as Troops riding camels. They have to be made, don't you agree! LOL

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jul 2021 3:30 p.m. PST

Thanks my good friend!

Armand

14Bore01 Jul 2021 4:03 p.m. PST

Would like to find a camp follower set in 15-18mm, would grab it in a second.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP01 Jul 2021 6:49 p.m. PST

I am sure it would sell. The Osprey title was poo-pooed by some people here, but all reviews I have seen have been positive.

jwebster Supporting Member of TMP01 Jul 2021 7:55 p.m. PST

Blue moon has a set in 18mm. I don't have it yet …

John

14Bore02 Jul 2021 1:56 a.m. PST

Blue Moon? Will have to look, maybe I am not searching in right spots.

jwebster Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2021 6:49 a.m. PST

Blue moon
link

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2021 6:56 a.m. PST

That'd make a nice camp scene.

ConnaughtRanger02 Jul 2021 1:16 p.m. PST

Black Hussar have some great camp followers.

14Bore02 Jul 2021 1:22 p.m. PST

As I want more generic wagons should get them together. I have 2 horse pack trains for my Russians and 1 for my British but none for my Prussians. Been looking at the blacksmith pack.

picture

Gazzola04 Jul 2021 5:07 a.m. PST

jwebster

The Blue Moon miniatures look brilliant and the one horse cart looks great. If I was going up a scale, I think it would be to 15mm.

Meanwhile, if only I could think of a way to convince Adler to bring out a 6mm range of camp followers, as well as Egyptian campaign miniatures. LOL

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 Jul 2021 10:04 p.m. PST

Don't mess with them… (smile)

picture

link

Armand

Gazzola06 Jul 2021 2:58 a.m. PST

It's okay Armand, there is no mention of female camp followers being dangerous in the Osprey title. LOL

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2021 4:03 p.m. PST

(smile)

Armand

SHaT198406 Jul 2021 4:16 p.m. PST

>>The Osprey title was poo-pooed by some people

Given the nature of the promo, some of us queried the relevance. No-one could doubt TCs integrity as an author, but as to editorial style, being bitten by an osprey wasn't the only issue. Add oofice politiks in on the act and you get a M.Pythonesque farce.

My cantinieres may continue in their work; as will a brothers act of thirsty men, from both sides o the fence… perhaps later this year, when camp sets up.
d

14Bore07 Jul 2021 2:51 p.m. PST

My top two figures are armed, you don't think just good will would protect their goods do you?

Lilian09 Jul 2021 8:31 a.m. PST

me-too mode applied to the Military Publishing :)
I don't discuss the quality of the author and always talented Christa but unfortunately after 50 years there were still so many true military gaps to cover by Osprey before such civilian topic…and with only 5 Men At Arms for this year, a sad record, I think that many Ospreymaniacs will be converted in pillars of salt before a chance to see the first words of the first pages of long-expected topics

by the way perhaps a second chance for the aborted Osprey Elite 100 of 2004

forza Italia

Gazzola11 Jul 2021 3:17 a.m. PST

All the books (and links), the ones we like and the those we may not like as much, all help increase our collective knowledge of the period and what went on and who did what.

Long may it continue and long may people post about those areas that get very little attention.

Robert le Diable12 Jul 2021 5:58 a.m. PST

@jwebster:

I'd be most grateful if you could give an Internet site address which will lead to the set of figures to which you provided a Link on 2nd July; I have, of course, tried everything likely among the categories and sub-categories on the Blue Moon/Old Glory UK site. Since the price quoted in the photograph you provided is in Dollars, I'm thinking that some products may only be available in the USA, but hope that this isn't so. If anyone else can assist me in following the Camp Followers, please do add a note.

R le D.

14Bore17 Jul 2021 4:28 p.m. PST

Just got my camp follower set this afternoon, now what to do with them.

SHaT198418 Jul 2021 2:21 p.m. PST

>>now what to do with them.

Faire 'le camping'…

MarbotsChasseurs26 Jul 2021 10:49 a.m. PST

Lilian,

I know you don't discuss the author's quality, but I believe Terry Crowdy's book on the 9e Legere is by far the best Napoleonic book I have ever read other than John Gill's 1809 books. He brings to life the famous regiment and the men who served.

Lilian26 Jul 2021 2:16 p.m. PST

and by the way we expect with our more male and military tastes his
FRENCH LIGHT INFANTRY 1788-1815 From the Chasseurs of Louis XVI to Napoleon's Grande Armée soon to be published at HELION but unfortunately as we have no longer the right to discuss the forthcoming publications in this forum I would say nothing about that… :/

Brechtel19827 Jul 2021 4:41 a.m. PST

About vivandieres and cantinieres being dangerous…

'Many cantinieres were as brave as veteran grenadiers…Therese brought brandy to the soldiers amidst ball and bullets; she was twice wounded. Don't think that she did this to make money…when we were fighting she never asked for payment…With all of these feelings [Therese] was horrible ugly, but few women from what I have seen (evil unto him who thinks evil) had such shapely legs.'Elzear Blaze, La Vie Militaire, 99-100.

'The Cossacks came whooping down on the Bataillon de Neufchatel's weary column as it slogged westward from the lost battle of Leipzig. Darting in, wheeling back, howling, but never charging home, they tried to bluff the yellow-uniformed battalion into disorder. Being well-salted veterans, the Neufchatel 'canaries' closed up and kept marching, their voltigeur company deploying as skirmishers along their threatened flank. Like most Swiss, they were excellent shots: a number of Cossacks unexpectedly 'mordrent la poussiere' (bit the dust); the voltigeurs caught up their riderless horses, which were needed as mounts or pack animals for their own officers. An hour of such frustration satiated the ferocious horsemen of the steppes. But, at the last moment, one noticed that the Neufchatel vivandiere had lagged behind the column and made a determined charge at her. Not pausing to ponder whether he wanted her life, her money, her honor, or just a little harmless fun, that rude femme produced her pistol and shot him out of his saddle. She then mounted the Cossack's horse and rejoined the battalion 'to the applause of all the column.'-Alfred Guye, Le Bataillon de Neuchatel, 199 as cited in John Elting's Swords Around a Throne, 605.

Interestingly, one of these tough feminine veterans became Madame la Marechale Lefebvre and Duchesse de Danzig.

Historex models has some that can be used singularly or in vignettes:

historex.com/crbst_34.html

Gazzola27 Jul 2021 8:00 a.m. PST

Brechtel198

Great post. It is really interesting to hear about the female and usually unknown and unsung involvement of any period. It reminds of the other day when I was watching a WW2 documentary which talked about Russian female fighter pilots. And it all adds to our collective knowledge.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.