Help support TMP

"Light Mortar Teams" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please avoid recent politics on the forums.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Action Log

31 Jul 2022 9:12 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from TMP Poll Suggestions board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

Featured Workbench Article

Pete Paints Fantassin's 1/72nd Finnish Support Weapons

When Patrice Vittesse Fezian first saw these figures, he was dreading painting them...

Featured Profile Article

Mystery PBI Photos

Does anyone claim these mystery photos?

Featured Book Review

1,032 hits since 29 Jun 2021
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian29 Jun 2021 9:33 p.m. PST

How do you prefer your 'leg' mortar teams?

* walking, carrying equipment
* deployed, ready to fire
* I use both modes on the tabletop

Captain Pete29 Jun 2021 10:18 p.m. PST

At 6mm scale, I prefer my mortar teams deployed and ready to fire. I have not seen figures that have the mortar team in travel mode but somebody here may know.

Personal logo etotheipi Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Jun 2021 10:46 p.m. PST

Ready to fire.

A mortar team walking with gear is just dudes walking with gear.

Rarely, when a rule requires "set up time" to transition, I have had both. In fact, the rules required two turns to set up and spot prior to firing, so you would replace one mini on the table per turn. Same to pack up in reverse.

I have used that technique with lots of other "timed transitions" … sappers, demo teams, transforming entities, etc.

Martin Rapier29 Jun 2021 11:07 p.m. PST

Generally I prefer deployed, but I'll use walking light mortar teams (usually British 2" mortar teams) in larger scales – 15mm+

3" and larger, deployed.

Wargamer Blue30 Jun 2021 2:46 a.m. PST

Ready to fire

Disco Joe30 Jun 2021 3:06 a.m. PST

Definitely ready to fire.

advocate30 Jun 2021 5:09 a.m. PST

Both. Same as LMG teams. And AT rifles, come to that.

Joes Shop Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2021 5:20 a.m. PST

Both

Col Durnford30 Jun 2021 5:45 a.m. PST

Most ready to fire, however, I do have some extras moving if the figures are available.

Personal logo Legion 4 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2021 8:25 a.m. PST

It depends on the actual "game" turn time. Generally man packed mortars can move … then fire the next turn …

I was an 81mm PL in 101 in the early '80s …

I.e. 60mm mortars or smaller may be lighter and quicker to fire but we didn't have them when I was in the ARMY, '79-'90. But like all mortars you can fire "open sights" i.e. meaning you can see the target. Otherwise if you are going to fire effectively indirect you have more set up time. That is a whole other topic.

So IMO, experience and training for gaming purposes. Move then fire the next turn.

Wolfhag30 Jun 2021 9:23 a.m. PST

Deployed as that's how they'll spend most of the game. Some modern 60mm mortars can be fired by one man without a base plate and in reality, could perform "Halt Fire" in the same manner as a vehicle. The team advances a short distance, stops and the guy with the tube estimates the range/tube angle, drops a few rounds, and then advances in 20-30 seconds after the rounds to impact and take effect.

In a best-case scenario, the mortar team could be used for a type of Fire and Maneuver advancing when the rounds land and suppress the objective and stopping again to fire a few more suppression rounds. With some practice, it's been found that this type of fire control can be very accurate with an experienced gunner. This is one of the real advantages of light mortars.

Wolfhag

Doug MSC Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2021 9:26 a.m. PST

I like them set up ready to fire. Although I limit their movement, when moving, to less then a regular infantryman. That kind of gives the feel of them needing time to set up and pull down more than and infantryman who can just get up and move.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2021 9:30 a.m. PST

ready to fire

Thresher0130 Jun 2021 10:00 a.m. PST

Firing first, but walking and carrying the equipment will be useful too.

Personal logo Legion 4 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2021 4:13 p.m. PST

Some modern 60mm mortars can be fired by one man without a base plate and in reality, could perform "Halt Fire" in the same manner as a vehicle. The team advances a short distance, stops and the guy with the tube estimates the range/tube angle, drops a few rounds, and then advances in 20-30 seconds after the rounds to impact and take effect.
Yes, it is light enough to do that. Almost like a GL, e.g. M203. But with a longer range. But again to use the 60mm as Wolf described. You would have to see the target. Or do a bit of "SWAGging" for indirect fire. And as with an M203, an experienced skilled gunner could fire in either mode. As Wolf pointed out …

limit their movement, when moving, to less then a regular infantryman.
Yes as they are not only carrying their rifles, etc., but all the ammo for the mortar. As well as all parts of the mortar. E.g. tube, bipod, base plate and sight. And to effectively fire indirect you need aiming stakes, plotting board, radio, etc., etc.

PLUS again ammo …

That is why because of my RW training & experience, for game purposes. They move one turn … then fire the next … And again that could be influenced by how long a game turn is in "real time". E.g. is a turn in "real time" 30 sec., 2 mins., 15 mins, an hour, etc.?

Wolfhag30 Jun 2021 7:22 p.m. PST

In WWII mortar and heavy weapons crews sometimes had a two-wheeled carrying cart.

pictures: link

Wolfhag

Personal logo Legion 4 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jul 2021 5:13 p.m. PST

Yes, I saw that before … but as we know that cart can't go everywhere. The had to do it "Grunt" style !

Wolfhag01 Jul 2021 7:54 p.m. PST

The cart should be great for ammo runs.

Wolfhag

donlowry02 Jul 2021 9:02 a.m. PST

Yes, I would think the number of rounds that could be carried by hand would have been very limited.

Personal logo Legion 4 Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2021 9:33 a.m. PST

Very much so, some 60mm rounds would be carried in backpacks, etc. Even 81mm rounds at times still in their boxes, etc. …

That being said, when I got to the 101 in '80. The 81s had some M274 "Mules"/ 1/tube ? Even each Rifle Plt had one for each Squad or Plt IIRC.

They were leftovers from Vietnam, much of our equipment was. They were very well "used". And didn't last long in our TOEs for maybe a year or so when I was there. old fart

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.