Help support TMP

"How Big a Force?" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please do not post offers to buy and sell on the main forum.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Bolt Action Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

First Impressions: Axis & Allies

pmglasser takes a first look at the new Axis & Allies.

Featured Profile Article

Whitemanticore & Nazrat's Game Table

The game table created for an Arc of Fire game at Cold Wars 2005.

Featured Book Review

Featured Movie Review

681 hits since 22 Jun 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2021 9:50 a.m. PST

I am just starting in Bolt Action and thus am just building my forces. My initial idea was to build a company-size force for each troop type i.e. three platoons plus coy HQ and supports. This would give a maximum of 10 infantry units to which elements such as anti-tank guns, mortars, tanks etc. could be added.

Is this too big for a 10 foot x 6 foot table? Are two platoons enough? What do people think?

Wackmole9 Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2021 11:05 a.m. PST

Try and never fill the table with figures. No matter the scale or table size.

cavcrazy23 Jun 2021 11:23 a.m. PST

I started with 3 squads of 10, a command group, a valentine tank, and a scout car, as well as an anti tank gun, and a mortar crew. This is 8th army for North Africa.

rustymusket Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2021 1:28 p.m. PST

I built a platoon of US Marines and attached 30 cal. A company seems too large but I will yield to those with more experience with the rules.

TheNorthernFront23 Jun 2021 3:24 p.m. PST

Playing WWII in 28mm is always way too big for the table. I started out with Bolt Action in 28mm and moved over to 15mm after 1 year of playing, while also playing more realistic rulesets.

Personal logo Grelber Supporting Member of TMP23 Jun 2021 5:57 p.m. PST

The local tournament uses 1000 point armies. For my Greeks, this works out to a platoon, two extra sections, ab artillery piece, an AT gun, a light tank, and a tankette.

Grelber

Forager23 Jun 2021 7:17 p.m. PST

One of the things I like about Bolt Action is that it can handle a company a side without too much trouble. I've done it on my 8' x 5' table without it being too crowded, so I think you'd be fine on a 10' x 6' table.

Since it is a dice pull game, more units will slow things down, though, but they don't all have to be on the table at the same time. I like to use a different dice color for each platoon/player, but I've heard of people using a single color per side, but having each platoon activate 1 unit when their side's die is pulled to speed things up in a multi-player game. I don't use points or do tournaments, so I can get away with just more historically accurate OOBs.

dantheman Supporting Member of TMP24 Jun 2021 5:18 a.m. PST

Played large and small Bolt Action games and have several armies.

I definitely recommend starting out smaller. A platoon at most with attached supports. 500 points. What you suggest is too much. I have vehicles but find I rarely use them.

HansPeterB Supporting Member of TMP24 Jun 2021 8:07 p.m. PST

Completely agree with the comments so far that for a normal table the recommended one platoon/about 1000 points gives a good game, particularly starting out. We've played a couple of company sized games, but that was with 4-5 on each side and a 16'x 6' table -- and that was absolutely covered with terrain.

Personal logo Artilleryman Supporting Member of TMP25 Jun 2021 2:22 a.m. PST

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the best bet is to start with a platoon and work up the force size based on experience.

Dukewilliam Supporting Member of TMP27 Jun 2021 8:16 a.m. PST

We play scenario based games of BA, not point based, and have found usually 3 or 4 squads with support (MMG, mortar, maybe sniper or other SW), one vehicle and AT gun will more than fill out a 4x6 table.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.