Help support TMP

"Video of GW's HQ Flag, Museum of the American Revolution" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please don't call someone a Nazi unless they really are a Nazi.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Areas of Interest

18th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Volley & Bayonet

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

1:700 Black Seas British Brigs

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian paints brigs for the British fleet.

Featured Workbench Article

Featured Profile Article

First Look: 1:72 Austrophile Infantry of the Line

War of the Spanish Succession figures for the Spanish theater.

Featured Book Review

524 hits since 17 Jun 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP17 Jun 2021 10:53 p.m. PST

"Textile conservator Virginia Whelan recently sat down with Museum of the American Revolution President & CEO Dr. R. Scott Stephenson for a discussion on materials and symbolism found in flags from the Revolutionary era and the delicate work of conserving those flags. She and Stephenson talked in-depth about three specific flags, all of which Whelan helped conserve, including the Monmouth flag, a flag captured by British Army officer William Dansey, and General Washington's Standard."

You need to scroll down to get to the video.

The flag is rarely on display due to its fragile state. If you want to know what UV light can do to textiles, take a good look at Washington's flag.

I sent an email there to see if anyone knows who the flag bearer was. We are certain that the flag flew at his HQ. There are the post war paintings which shows it in battle. Does anyone know of orders, assignments, a diary or journal of anyone on either side mentioning seeing the flag in battle?

link

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP17 Jun 2021 11:44 p.m. PST

The name I keep running into is Eli McVey. Family history claims he was Washington's flag bearer. No hard evidence. No primary source documents.

link

mad monkey 118 Jun 2021 5:10 a.m. PST

I read the header as Games Workshop HQ Flag, at Museum of the American Revolution.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 12:09 p.m. PST

I had to cut down the size of the header. Games Workshop is something I never think about. Anyone on the American Revolution board knows what I meant.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 12:30 p.m. PST

I know what you meant. Context is everything. I never thought of Games Workshop, but I have a lot more painted Hessians than Orcs in my collection.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 1:29 p.m. PST

When I started playing miniatures in the early 80s, I didn't know fantasy miniature gaming existed. The term wargaming to me was synonyms with historical, military gaming.

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 1:49 p.m. PST

Fantastic interview.

Jim

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 2:43 p.m. PST

I visited this museum while I was attending the AASLH conference a few months before the pandemic hit. I highly recommend it. It is well worth the trip and the price of admission.

amrevmuseum.org

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP18 Jun 2021 4:27 p.m. PST

Virginia Whelan is IMO, one of the two best flag conservators in the country. The other one is Mary Frederickson of Canyon, Texas. Many years go I visited Mary's studio and to my astonishment she was working on the regimental colors which were carried up San Juan Hill during the Spanish American War. A contract from the Army.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.