Help support TMP

"Zouave waist sash name?" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

American Civil War
19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Top-Rated Ruleset

Rank & File

Rating: gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star gold star 

Featured Showcase Article

Blue Moon's Romanian Civilians, Part One

We begin a look at Blue Moon's Romanian Civilians, as painted for us by PhilGreg Painters.

Featured Profile Article

Report from Bayou Wars 2006

The Editor heads for Vicksburg...

Current Poll

832 hits since 3 May 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Glengarry503 May 2021 4:34 p.m. PST

Is there a technical name for the waist sashes worn by Zouaves? Asking for a friend.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2021 6:29 p.m. PST

It's called a waist sash.

Chimpy Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2021 8:41 p.m. PST

According to this source it was originally called a ceinture but it is unlikely that anyone in the US would have used this word. So I'd go with John the OFM on this.

rmaker03 May 2021 9:16 p.m. PST

it was originally called a ceinture

Which is, of course, French for "waist sash".

Prince Alberts Revenge03 May 2021 9:18 p.m. PST

Cummerbund? I've seen that term used in reference to French zouaves…

Glengarry503 May 2021 10:27 p.m. PST

Thanks all. My friend was looking for the original
French term so ceinture it is! Cummerbund is an English word based on a Hindi word for a Persian word!

clibinarium04 May 2021 4:36 a.m. PST

Ceinture also means belt, so needs to be treated with a bit of caution if translating.

troopwo Supporting Member of TMP04 May 2021 7:19 a.m. PST

Was going to echo Clibinarium.

Au pas de Charge05 May 2021 6:02 a.m. PST

Ceinture is the French word for it.

Lilian05 May 2021 1:57 p.m. PST

ceinture de laine wool sash

because ceinture just like that, as precised, it is usually implied that it is rather a leather belt

tigrifsgt05 May 2021 3:47 p.m. PST

If you look at a zouave sash, it doesn't have tassels on the end like an officers sash. Most don't even have a part that hangs down. Most of them are wrapped around and tucked in. Mine when I was reenacting was wrapped around twice and discreetly held in place with two diaper pins. It was tough keeping them in place with all the stuff we had an our belts.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.