Help support TMP

"Provisional Rifle Corps: Morgan's Sharpshooters" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Please remember that some of our members are children, and act appropriately.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Action Log

10 Apr 2021 4:47 a.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from Historical Wargaming in General board

Areas of Interest

General
18th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

28mm Acolyte Vampires - Based

The Acolyte Vampires return - based, now, and ready for the game table.

Featured Profile Article

How Scurvy Got His "Style"

How Scurvy developed his unique approach to miniatures.

404 hits since 8 Apr 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dining Room Battles08 Apr 2021 7:05 a.m. PST

picture

Morgan's Riflemen or Morgan's Rifles, previously Morgan's Sharpshooters, and the one named Provisional Rifle Corps, were an elite light infantry unit commanded by General Daniel Morgan in the United States Revolutionary War, which served a vital role executing his tasks because it was equipped with what was then the cutting-edge rifle instead of muskets, allowing superior accuracy at an up to ten times the distance of the typical troops of the day.

picture

link

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2021 8:32 a.m. PST

Wasn't the Saratoga campaign kind of their high water mark? I'm not sure I'd list them as elite so much as they had a special skill set. I don't recall them really having an impact on any other battle of the war either. The estimated range in the attached article seems to greatly exaggerate their weapon's range as well.

At any given large battle, the Crown had just as many – if not more – rifles on the field in more disciplined units, than the American forces.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP08 Apr 2021 8:43 a.m. PST

Rifle armed units also needed to be backed up by musket armed troops, since they could reload faster than the rifles and could also mount bayonets which rifles could not.
Rifles could be driven off by hostile bayonet armed troops.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP11 Apr 2021 9:40 p.m. PST

Here is my interpretation of Morgan's Brigade at Saratoga. They maybe more uniformed than they actually were. Probably did not have a flag. But I like them anyway. The photo shows the riflemen up front, with Dearborn's Light Infantry with bayonets behind them. The riflemen are Perry metals and the light infantry are Perry plastic figures.

link

Bill N12 Apr 2021 4:30 a.m. PST

Very nice.

historygamer Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2021 11:13 a.m. PST

Lovely figures. IIRC, from Eric's books, the riflemen were a composite unit made up from VA, PA, and MD.

The same was true of Dearborn's men. They were picked men from different units. I get why you want to use the Light kit figures – I sometimes do it too. But the men in Dearborn's unit were returned to their parent unit after, and likely had no special uniform. But, I get it. ;-)

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.