Help support TMP

"Issues with PayPal" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Wargaming in Australia Message Board

Back to the Consumer Affairs Message Board

Action Log

20 Feb 2021 7:02 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to Wargaming in Australia board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

The Amazing Worlds of Grenadier

The fascinating history of one of the hobby's major manufacturers.

Featured Workbench Article

Drilling Holes in Minis - Part III: Going Larger

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian weighs the pros and cons of using a power drill on the minis workbench.

Featured Profile Article

Smart Finish Sander/Filer

Do you do so much file work that your fingers hurt? Maybe this tool can help...

753 hits since 20 Feb 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2021 4:11 p.m. PST

I am having some trouble with PayPal.

They froze my account with no warning so I can't access my money. Thankfully it is not much.

They have demanded that I send them copies of my personal information to them over the internet, saying their site is secure (yeah, right). They cannot guarantee the security of account holders devices. This puts peoples personal information at risk.

Lots of messages saw them telling me it was a government anti-terrorism and anyi-money laundering legislation. That is nothing to do with myself. They have refused to tell me where it says they're can only verify my identity over the internet. Eventually after a lot of messages they gave me a USA postal address I could send my documents to, without a guaranteed time line. That's sending my personal documents around the world.

They still haven't said what will happen to my (they still say it is mine, although they wont give it to me) money in the future or when it will just disappear from my account. They have to be making money off it while they have it.

It has happened to a friend. They had a lot of money in their account and it took a year to get it!!!

Use PayPal at your own risk. I'd heard of it happening before, "it won't happen to me", or so I thought. Don't be the next one. Get a bank account with debit card for purchases, you can then go into a bank in person if you have issues.

They (PayPal) must be making a lot from this. A mere fraction of accounts with money in them could be thousands, millions of dollars even.

Something to think about.

mjkerner20 Feb 2021 4:47 p.m. PST

You are being scammed. I get these occasionally in my email, and they look very legit, no misspellings or bad grammar or anything, but look close at the address. Anyway, has to be a scam. I've used PayPal for almost 20 years--alot--and never once had a problem.

Mister Tibbles20 Feb 2021 4:52 p.m. PST

Sounds like fraud to me. Try here:

"How do I report potential fraud, spoof or unauthorized transactions to PayPal?"

link

14Bore20 Feb 2021 4:56 p.m. PST

Sounds like scammers

Extrabio1947 Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2021 5:18 p.m. PST

Also, I would not recommend using a debit card for mail order purchases. A credit card provides considerably more consumer protection, especially with regards to fraudulent and disputed transactions.

Debit cards are primarily meant for point of sale (POS) transactions in lieu of using cash. If you authorize a debit card transaction but don't receive your goods, the bank is not required to refund your money because you authorized the bank to make the payment.

Debit cards and credit cards are governed by different regulatory requirements.

Col Durnford Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2021 5:54 p.m. PST

Another vote for scam.

Also, the only thing we use a debit card for is to get cash from an ATM.

Most times we eat out (remember that) or get take out, we pay with cash.

Wargamer Blue20 Feb 2021 6:12 p.m. PST

Definitely a scam. Log into your account and change your password ASAP.

skipper John Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2021 6:45 p.m. PST

I always assume every email I get is a scammer trying to gain some kind of information.

I delete the email and then access the account from a trusted link in my "favorites" to see what's going on. 100% of the time there is absolutely nothing wrong with the account.

Prince Rupert of the Rhine20 Feb 2021 10:58 p.m. PST

A couple of good indications that, give away if this sort of email is a scam, is to check the email address it will either be completely weird like fgHKvz@bk.uxb or if the scammer tried a bit harder something more subtle Pyapal@enquires.nz

The other is did they use your name if it was dear customer, dear PayPal user or your dear followed by your email address it's a bogus.
email.

I'll get several of this type of phishing scam a month.

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP20 Feb 2021 11:36 p.m. PST

Thanks all.

I'll look further into the debit card thing.

It's not a scam, well not a non PayPal one. It is there when I log in, not just emails. Transfering some money from my attached bank account to PayPal seemed to have triggered it.

If your in Oz and haven't had this problem, I suspect it's only a matter of time. I would not suggest having a large sum there at minimum. Be cautious.

Texas Jack21 Feb 2021 3:04 a.m. PST

Didn't someone here a few years ago have a problem with paypal because he was looking to buy weapons for his insurgents, or something similar, and despite the troops being only 28mm tall, it triggered a red flag which froze the account.
Anyone know if I'm remembering this right?

ZULUPAUL Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2021 3:33 a.m. PST

Got that same thing a few weeks ago. Looked on my Paypal account…nothing about it. Also the address was like Prince Ruperts, totally ridiculous. H Man hope it works out well for you.
Paul

korsun0 Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2021 3:43 a.m. PST

@Texas Jack – I think you are right; wasn't it an ebay purchase or something?

Here is a link from Paypal about account limitaton. Seems they do it for a number of reasons.

Paypal:
link

Paypal Australia:
link

Australian contact number;
1800 073 263

Skeets Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2021 11:06 a.m. PST

It may be a scam, I got a similar e-mail last year, contacted PayPal and the told me that they sent no such notification tgo me.

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2021 3:00 p.m. PST

It's not an external scam.

When I log in as usual, I can't do anything with my money, only messages.

I believe thats the phone number I tried. Not working, suprise suprise. You can get a number through PayPal site that does work. I have rung them about it.

Your communicating with people in cubicles with no real power. You keep talking to different people, going over the same rubbish. Frustration.

If you can avoid them, do so. Like this fancy new digital tv, it's great when it works, but there is no grainy image in between. It's just working and not working. No shades of grey. Your using PayPal fine, or your accounts locked and you lose your money (I was so lucky, I had less than $100 USD in there, I had a lot more and often previously). I'm sorry, according to them, it's still my money, I just can't say what happens to it. Unless you want your personal information floating about, assuming you have the documents in the first place, I suggest you go elsewhere. I suggest a bricks and mortar bank.

Antioch21 Feb 2021 10:06 p.m. PST

No scam… had a very similar issue…when pushed they finally said it was too satisfy regulatory requirements…when i chevked further it was EU requirements…. only thing i can think if was because i bought iess thenn20$ of replacement parts for my 3d printer….i provided versions of most if it but not everything…they never said boo…so the ban still sticks… do not email them…you only get form letters back… call & ask directly why….& under what legal provisions…then ask in writing.

clibinarium22 Feb 2021 3:19 a.m. PST

About five years ago Paypal accidentally put money in my account. Over the course of about six months I spent much of it because I wasn't paying close attention (assuming it was coming out of my bank account and into paypal).
When they realised their mistake, they were very very good at contacting me, in fact they rang me at 8am on Boxing Day (as you can imagine I was sleeping at the time, and that was probably part of their tactics), and then at 8am every day for a week. They were pretty aggressive too, stopping just short of accusing me of stealing. Of course, I just paid the money back, though it took me a couple of weeks to get it together, a fact I told them in the first call.

I wasn't fond of them before that, but now consider them enemies. I'd have ditched them, only some clients require paypal as a means of transaction.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2021 9:30 a.m. PST

Lesson learned. Don't put your money in your PayPal account. I only use it for credit card transactions. I certainly don't give anyone access to my bank account.

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2021 3:32 p.m. PST

Yeah, that makes sense. However a card can still be charged. The bank account isn't the issue though, that's fine, it's the PayPal account.

I always thought them a good company, never had an issue with them and they always resolved things that did come up quickly and in my favour. Until now.

They've just told me I can't receive payments now. That's good, at least people can't accidentally send me money and have it lost.

I really feel for people who had real money in an account like this. I am soooo lucky.

The H Man Supporting Member of TMP23 Feb 2021 10:14 p.m. PST

Ok. New information.

They rang me. Yes, that happened. I got them to message me to prove it wasn't a scam call.

In the conversation a few points came up.

They are acting on Australian government legislation from 2016.

EVERY ACCOUNT in Australia will end up having this happen to it. (You have been warned. Tell your family and friends)

I had received notification about it happening, apparently. I never checked notifications on PayPal before and their emails always seemed trivial, so I missed anything there also. So, keep an eye out. If you don't agree with it, you should have time to pull your money and change your online doings.

They still couldn't say what would happen to my money if PayPal was dissolved or sold, what have you.

They really aren't providing options.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.