Help support TMP

"How do you make Flag Dude's Style of Flags?" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Flags and Banners Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
18th Century
Napoleonic
American Civil War

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Recent Link

Featured Profile Article

Dung Gate

For the time being, the last in our series of articles on the gates of Old Jerusalem.

Featured Book Review

1,384 hits since 14 Feb 2021
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Rusty Balls Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2021 10:26 a.m. PST

Now that Flag Dude has called it quits, I have need to make a few more flags on my own to complete my AWI collection.

Anyone know how he achieved the crinkled, wavy effect of his flags. They are very unique and I feel like there is some technique or trade secret to it.

I figured now that he is retired there is no harm in asking.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike Petro14 Feb 2021 11:14 a.m. PST

Tell me as well!!! Mine look like total crap.

I had Scott Macphee paint up some 10mm battalions and his flags are very well done. When I try his shared technique, it looks like a five-year-old attempt. Yet I can paint 10mm very nicely as well. It's my modeling Achilles heel.

evbates14 Feb 2021 11:15 a.m. PST

I placed two orders with him last year. It's better to write a letter and mail it to him. Always gotten my orders that way. He always responds.

Fredloan14 Feb 2021 11:21 a.m. PST

I think it was the paper that he used and it may have reacted to some heat. Not really sure

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Feb 2021 11:26 a.m. PST

Yeah that paper was SUPER thin.

Larry Gettysburg Soldiers Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2021 11:51 a.m. PST

Rusty, do you need 15mm or 25mm size?

rmcaras Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2021 1:33 p.m. PST

I thought he was still in business, at least at conventions. And special orders?

Normal Guy Supporting Member of TMP14 Feb 2021 2:27 p.m. PST

Rick is still in business, selling those amazing flags. Best in the world, in my mind.

Garryowen Supporting Member of TMP15 Feb 2021 5:46 a.m. PST

I recently received an order very quickly. Same fabulous quality.

Snail mail may be better than ordering through the website.

Tom

evbates15 Feb 2021 9:41 a.m. PST

I just got a message from Rick that my last order is being shipped.

ISchofield22 Feb 2021 10:23 p.m. PST

Is there a company making flags that is second best if Flag Dude is no longer making flags? Any recommendations?

Daribuck Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2021 1:03 p.m. PST

RE: Is there a company making flags that is second best if Flag Dude is no longer making flags? Any recommendations?

Yeah, ME! I make flags in every size, from 5/6mm up to 28/30mm, and can do 40mm and 54mm as well. Basically, I sell an entire sheet of flags for $10 USD, on adhesive backed paper. The smaller the scale, the more flags you get.

For 28mm, I have 10 sheets for the US Civil War, each with 24 flags.

Cheers,
Daniel
Six Sided Simulations.

Tom Telegraph01 Mar 2021 8:41 a.m. PST

Daniel,
Happen to have a 15mm VMI Cadet flag?

18th Century Guy Supporting Member of TMP01 Mar 2021 4:27 p.m. PST

The key for getting the right "crinkle" like Rick does is to use lots of glue, white glue. I was at his house a few years back watching him make them and he would slather on the glue, crinkle it as much as he wanted and then set it aside to dry. You might even mix a little water in with the glue to keep it more fluid. Rick was all about doing it the cheapest yet best way possible. No special tricks or technology, he just kept at it until he figured it out.

sergeant Joe major joe02 Mar 2021 1:16 a.m. PST

new rank after long service 3rd grenadier de la garde renactment guys

Daribuck Supporting Member of TMP02 Mar 2021 6:23 p.m. PST

RE: Happen to have a 15mm VMI Cadet flag? Hmmm. Let me check! I can certainly make one! PM me or email me.

Cleburne186303 Mar 2021 3:53 a.m. PST

The best and easiest way to get good folds and crinkle is to place a piece of aluminum foil inside the flag when you glue the two halves together.

Personal logo Old Contemptible Supporting Member of TMP03 Mar 2021 8:30 p.m. PST

Good luck on finding a 15mm VMI flag. I had a friend hand paint on for me and turn out great. You might be able to see it here if you do a close up. I would take a photo of it but we just moved and my figs are still packed.

link

This company will make flags to order.

maverick-models.com

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.