Help support TMP

"2 Actions Per Activation" Topic

27 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

Stuff It! (In a Box)

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian worries about not losing his rules stuff.

Featured Book Review

997 hits since 31 Dec 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

TMP logo

Membership

Please sign in to your membership account, or, if you are not yet a member, please sign up for your free membership account.
Personal logo Bravo Six Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 10:27 a.m. PST

I was intrigued by Jay's use of 2 actions per activation per figure in the Fistful of Lead rules. It got me thinking…. are there any other rules that use this mechanic?

MajorB31 Dec 2020 10:31 a.m. PST

Stargrunt II

Personal logo Bravo Six Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 10:36 a.m. PST

Ah right. I'd forgotten about that.

Ferd4523131 Dec 2020 10:39 a.m. PST

Possible in To the Strongest. H

John G31 Dec 2020 11:26 a.m. PST

Blood & Valor

JimDuncanUK31 Dec 2020 11:33 a.m. PST

I've used two actions per phase for donkeys years.

They work best in skirmish games.

In each phase a figure can move and shoot, shoot and move, move and move or shoot and shoot.

advocate31 Dec 2020 11:33 a.m. PST

Chain of command.

Personal logo Herkybird Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 11:38 a.m. PST

Many of my rules have used 2 actions, it allows a figure to run (2 actions) shoot and move, or stay still and get a good shot, for example.
Like JimDuncan said, the system has been around for years.

jekinder Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 11:40 a.m. PST

WRG 1950-85 from 1979.

emckinney31 Dec 2020 12:20 p.m. PST

Star Wars Legion?

mad monkey 131 Dec 2020 1:11 p.m. PST

They Died for Glory.

Personal logo Bravo Six Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 1:18 p.m. PST

Thanks guys for all the input. Quite a few rules there. I had no idea this was so prevalent.

Schogun31 Dec 2020 1:25 p.m. PST

Chronopia used 2 actions. Warzone 3 actions.

Oberlindes Sol LIC Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 1:57 p.m. PST

If I recall correctly, Mongoose Traveller gives you a major action and some number of minor actions every activation.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 2:33 p.m. PST

Several rule sets use "action points" where each action costs 1 or more points. So shoot = 1 point, move 4" = 1 point, etc.

pzivh43 Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 3:54 p.m. PST

Bolt Action uses 2 actions per activation, ir close to it (some actions take the whole turn, IIRC>

UshCha31 Dec 2020 4:31 p.m. PST

Our rules, Maneouvere Group. It does have a lot of advantages.

SaveGordon Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2020 5:19 p.m. PST

Larry Brom's WW2 Pacific rules "K-Bar and bayonet" c 2005.

Andy ONeill31 Dec 2020 5:33 p.m. PST

SG2's been done.
Dirtside 2 also uses 2 actions.

Personal logo Bravo Six Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2021 4:46 a.m. PST

Using 2 actions does make alot of sense actually. And from what I've read in the FFOL rules, I like how he uses those 2 actions for certain things like "Shaken" figures.

4DJones01 Jan 2021 4:52 a.m. PST

Witchfinder General. And to go one up, Fire and Steel has THREE action phases per figure per turn. (Both skirmish rules).

stephen m01 Jan 2021 1:54 p.m. PST

Hind & Seek
Battlespace

Just off the top of my head.

Wolfhag04 Jan 2021 11:06 a.m. PST

So by allowing all units to perform the same number of actions each turn, how do you show the difference between veteran and green troops or the difference between weapons platforms?

Wolfhag

UshCha05 Jan 2021 3:12 a.m. PST

Wolfhag, like engineering models timescales are a matter of choice. On a larger timescales like ours such issues are either not rated critical or abstracted. It critically depends on what are thw key features the designer wants to define. In very small time scales for instance you may need to modell acceleration and decelleration of tanks as in a situation where timescales are down to seconds that may be critical. Our own ruls add something which is less than perfect but is more representative than instantanious speed change which allows stange things to happen.

Wolfhag05 Jan 2021 6:57 p.m. PST

UshCha,
Bravo-Six mentioned individual figures as the scale.

I've played the 1:1 move-move, shoot-shoot, move-shoot, shoot-move games a few times, mostly at conventions with new players. It's a good system as it allows the player several decision points and can develop somewhat realistic tactics. It's easy to play and gives a fair and balanced game.

While it has many advantages, it's hard to simulate the advantage of Alexander the Great and the Macedonians had in a battle against the Persians. The games I played didn't really allow for any type of momentum or give a good portrayal of initiative other than making it random.

If someone does have a way to portray these issues in a two-action turn I'd be interested.

Wolfhag

RudyNelson05 Jan 2021 9:50 p.m. PST

Years ago we designed a squad level Vietnam system that allowed for two actions per turn. Each maneuver unit received a black card and red card. Each unit had a specific card and suit for example Alpha fire team was the 3 of hearts and three of spades. When it was activated, if a move was conducted and the three of spades discarded. If the Alpha fired the red three of hearts was discarded and it could no longer fire that turn. Basicly a unit could both move and fire in the same turn.

Mocaiv06 Jan 2021 10:53 a.m. PST

I liked the mechanic so much I used it in my own Steam Wars rules

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.