Help support TMP

"A tale of things to come" Topic

68 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Shipping and Customs Message Board

Back to the Consumer Affairs Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

General
Napoleonic
World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

Command Decision: Test of Battle

The Editor almost has a heart attack...

Featured Workbench Article

Back to Paper Modeling - with the Hoverfly

The Editor returns to paper modeling after a long absence.

Featured Profile Article

Making a Pond with Realistic Water

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian builds a pond for his campaign.

Current Poll

6,463 hits since 22 Dec 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP23 Jan 2021 11:05 a.m. PST

I have solved it.

It occurred to me that even with an EU valid passport I cannot currently import metal figures from Germany.

But if I was in 26 counties of the Republic, I could freely do so. Then strangely there seems to be no trade restriction across the Irish Sea.

So I get all my cousins to order stuff and repost on to me. But that is too simple surely……..

John Edmundson24 Jan 2021 9:22 p.m. PST

"Brexit will be hard to find in future economic charts with the dates removed, just like WW1 is (counterintuitively) hard to find in mortality charts with their dates removed."

WWI is very easy to spot in NZ population data . . .

Cheers,
John

Martin From Canada26 Jan 2021 8:26 a.m. PST

Brexit will be hard to find in future economic charts with the dates removed, just like WW1 is (counterintuitively) hard to find in mortality charts with their dates removed

It's very easy to see it the in French population of 1950.
link

You have the missing cohort that would have been born between 1914-18/19 had the war not happened, but you also have the massive disparity in the Sex ratio in the population that's 50 to 70 that can't be explained away by differing life expectancy between male identified and female identified populations.

All Sir Garnett30 Jan 2021 3:25 a.m. PST

I got some scenery from More Terrain in Germany with no problems whatsoever last week.

von Winterfeldt30 Jan 2021 10:22 a.m. PST

Still waiting for my Perrys.

WillieB Supporting Member of TMP08 Feb 2021 3:11 a.m. PST

If you allow me let me tell you what is happening in Belgium, the Netherlands and probably also any other EU country.
First I'm going to give you a rundown on the parcels received since January first. Most but not all were ordered long before that date, but it doesn't really matter much.
It's all about the costs.

Parcel from the UK £91.50 GBP surcharge 39 (me)
Parcel from the UK £90.00 GBP surcharge 45,5 (Vincent) that's nearly 50%
Parcel from the UK £100.00 GBP surcharge 52 (Marcel) again 50%!
Parcel from the UK £200.00 GBP surcharge 61 (Peter)
Parcel from the UK £90.00 GBP surcharge 33 (Peter- again)
Parcel from the UK £32.00 GBP surcharge 37 well over 100%!
Parcel from the UK £42.00 GBP surcharge 38,5 (Johan) 90%!

Parcel from Germany Monday (225) free p&p, no surcharge.
Parcel from Spain ( 989) no p&p. still underway but should be here in a few days. No surcharge.

I'll tell you what is going to happen or it fact already has happened. All orders from the UK are put on hold and will simply dry up.Surcharges of anything between 39 and a whopping 102% are just too ridiculous to even contemplate.
The opposite is also true with hefty surcharges on EU products in the UK

We're sourcing EU retailers now alas, they can't get everything- and will see if they can get restocked.
So UK manufacturers will still be able to sell their stuff in the EU through intermediaries but obviously not without a retail discount. Any which way you look at it it's a lose- lose situation.

Snapper6908 Feb 2021 7:58 a.m. PST

No idea where all these surcharges are coming from. 2 orders from UK to Germany received in January – one for 129 pounds with 26 pounds postage, ordered in December – one for 21 pounds with 5 pounds postage, ordered and delivered in January. Neither incurred a surcharge. December order delayed until first week in January. January order shipped and received within 2 weeks. No problem!

Legion 408 Feb 2021 9:12 a.m. PST

Just sending big boxes of lead/metal minis in the USA from OH to CA … costs a fortune !

If you do it on eBay, add their cut, PayPal's cut and post … it's not worth it.

Note now eBay has their own version of PayPal, so that at least might cutdown on the cost ?

Legion 408 Feb 2021 9:13 a.m. PST

Just sending big boxes of lead/metal minis in the USA from OH to CA … costs a fortune !

If you do it on eBay, add their cut, PayPal's cut, now Sales Tax + Post … it's not worth it.

Note now eBay has their own version of PayPal, so that at least might cutdown on the cost ?

Personal logo deadhead Supporting Member of TMP08 Feb 2021 9:41 a.m. PST

I must be cautious in responding to Willie B's marvellous posting, lest I find myself back in the Dawghouse again. I totally admit that I could not resist the urge to express what is a political opinion and I confessed my iniquities to the editor. Peccavi.

But WillieB has taken us back to my opening point on the topic. Many a leading EU based model maker will currently not ship to the UK, or those that will do so might yet carry a nasty surprise for the recipient. Trade in perishables? I will leave it to the newspapers to cover!

Raimondo09 Feb 2021 3:35 a.m. PST

If you allow me let me tell you what is happening in Belgium, the Netherlands and probably also any other EU country.
First I'm going to give you a rundown on the parcels received since January first. Most but not all were ordered long before that date, but it doesn't really matter much.
It's all about the costs.

Parcel from the UK £91.50 GBP GBP surcharge 39 (me)
Parcel from the UK £90.00 GBP GBP surcharge 45,5 (Vincent) that's nearly 50%
Parcel from the UK £100.00 GBP GBP surcharge 52 (Marcel) again 50%!
Parcel from the UK £200.00 GBP GBP surcharge 61 (Peter)
Parcel from the UK £90.00 GBP GBP surcharge 33 (Peter- again)
Parcel from the UK £32.00 GBP GBP surcharge 37 well over 100%!
Parcel from the UK £42.00 GBP GBP surcharge 38,5 (Johan) 90%!

What sort of surcharges are you paying on goods from the USA or China?
Could be price gouging from the delivery companies.

Personal logo 4th Cuirassier Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2021 3:40 a.m. PST

@ Raimondo

that's what I was wondering.

There's a joker on the 'bay who's selling the Micro Ace 1/600 Yamato model kit for £46.00 GBP From Hobbylink Japan, it's less than £11.00 GBP Nothing to do with imposts, much to do with middleman greed and lazy buyers.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP09 Feb 2021 4:19 a.m. PST

One does have to wonder if there might not be at least a small silver lining. For many years vendors at shows have, quite correctly, pointed out many folks will browse their wares, getting to see items up close. They will then proceed to go home and order them online from someone else saving a few bucks. Perhaps these outrageous fees might restore something of a balance.

When life gives you lemons……….

WillieB Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2021 2:50 a.m. PST

One does have to wonder if there might not be at least a small silver lining. For many years vendors at shows have, quite correctly, pointed out many folks will browse their wares, getting to see items up close. They will then proceed to go home and order them online from someone else saving a few bucks. Perhaps these outrageous fees might restore something of a balance.

When life gives you lemons………

Alas, even that won't work. UK traders won't come to the continent any more and going to a British show is futile with a maximum export of 390.
No, we're very busy sourcing EU retailers but as always some of the smaller brands won't be available any more.

deephorse11 Feb 2021 3:23 a.m. PST

For many years vendors at shows have, quite correctly, pointed out many folks will browse their wares, getting to see items up close. They will then proceed to go home and order them online from someone else saving a few bucks.

That runs directly counter to my experience. I went (note the past tense) to shows specifically to buy product. I might buy from 10 or more vendors at any one show. Consider what the sum of the postage would be from that number of separate sellers. The online discount would have to be enormous to leave me better off by going down that route.

arthur181511 Feb 2021 7:09 a.m. PST

FWIW, Brexit will not make any significant difference to this British wargamer's hobby, though it may well affect other – possibly more important – areas of my life.

I shall continue to buy figures from my favourite British manufacturer – Pendraken – and use the British painting service – Marching in Colour – which did such an excellent job on my ImagiNations armies. I shall continue to use Bob Cordery's Portable Wargame rules, try out free rules published in people's blogs and write my own. I shall continue to buy military history books from Pen & Sword and Helion. I shall continue to make terrain and scenery using 'junk modelling' techniques, cardboard cereal packets &c.

I haven't ordered anything from abroad for a long time, partly because of postage costs, but mainly because there's nothing I desperately want. I live on my modest work and old age pensions, don't spend a great deal on wargaming and am perfectly content.

Yes, I'm concerned about the effects of Brexit, but not so far as my wargaming is concerned.

Personal logo 4th Cuirassier Supporting Member of TMP11 Feb 2021 10:15 a.m. PST

Postage costs to UK from the USA exploded a few years ago and completely wrecked my other hobby of collecting a specific pattern of Royal Doulton crockery. A large amount of the production seems to have gone to the USA and for a short period it was possible to bring it back again for reasonable money.

I don't know what triggered that, but it may have been to do with a switch to pricing the size as much as the weight of parcels. Individual pieces of tableware don't weigh that much, but the packing makes them bulky.

If you think you're suffering from not being able to get hold of figures from the EU, consider me and my inability to get hold of a full set of bone china rice bowls for less than $$stupid.

Black Hat Miniatures11 Feb 2021 1:00 p.m. PST

Willi's examples do include a 24 euro handling fee fromBelgium post (which is the highest in europe) and then Belgium VAT.

Assuming the orders were from VAT registered UK companies, they would have deducted 20% VAT, so the surcharges are not as high as they first appear.

The VAT is being charged in Belgium instead of the UK but would normally have been paid anyway.

The 24 euro handling fee is the killer!

Mike

Pages: 1 2 

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.