Help support TMP

"Paul Dawson Confection Drouot uniforms" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Napoleonic

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Current Poll

597 hits since 1 Dec 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

MarbotsChasseurs01 Dec 2020 3:08 p.m. PST

Hello everyone,

I somehow stumbled upon this amazing research done by Paul Dawson for a new book on the French infantry 1804-1815. For those who do not have Facebook, I will post the pictures here. I believe the book was supposed to come out this year, but whenever it is available I will be first to order! Seems to be the definitive book on French Line Infantry uniforms in my opinion!

1e Ligne Grenadier Tambour
"As we work through the 137 regiments of Line in the French Army by 1814 for a forthcoming publication, the archive of the 1e de Ligne allows us to present a drummer of the grenadier company, 1st battalion 1808-1809. The uniform had a green collar, revers and cuffs, edged with 1pouce wide yellow worsted lace. Only 8 such habits were made, so clearly were only destined for grenadiers. The capotes were made from grey tricot. Bearskins were adopted for grenadiers in the course of 1808, and sapeurs were formed in the regiment at this time also."

picture

59e Ligne Drummer,
"Archive research offers a wonderful tool to recreate the dress of the army. As part of the research for a series of groundbreaking books on the dress of the Line 1786-1815, I found in the paperwork of the 59e de Ligne a mass of data about how the regiment clothed itself in the Peninsular war. From this, we are able to present the drummers of the regiment as they appeared in 1808-1811."

picture

65e Ligne Sapeur and Tambour

"Our research on the Line Infantry has flagged up these two uniforms for the 65e de Ligne. The sapeur, we know from archive documents had red bearskin cords and uniquely white epaulettes with red crescents. Sapeurs were created in the Line in 1806, but were far from universal: not every regiment of Line had sapeurs. Our drummer has aurore facings, adopted in 1806 by the regiment. Aurore is a shade close to scarlet and is not a shade of yellow. We know from the regiments paper archive that the habit of the drummers was adorned with 1pouce wide yellow worsted lace, we show here."

picture

75e Ligne Voltigeur
"Drummer, voltigeur company 75e de Ligne late 1807. The paper archive of the 75e is remarkably complete for the period 1805-1808 for the regiments clothing. It allows us to present this uniform. The revers are pink, as are the cuff facings and tail lining with green epaulettes and chamois collar. A quite remarkable colour ensemble. The archive has a wealth of details for the dress of the band and regimental sapeurs."

picture

MarbotsChasseurs01 Dec 2020 4:21 p.m. PST

I put the incorrect one of the 1e Ligne Grenadier tambour. The first one is a Grenadier drummer of the 40e Ligne in 1807. Below is the 1e Ligne Grenadier

picture

His Facebook page is link

Lilian01 Dec 2020 4:38 p.m. PST

An other "teasing" about Paul Lindsay Dawson's forthcoming serie of books opened here

The Green uniform of the French Light Infantry 1814
TMP link

should be a serie of 6 to 7 volumes of the French Army 1789-1815

MarbotsChasseurs01 Dec 2020 4:54 p.m. PST

Lilian,

Thank you for that! I now remember that was an interesting thread. I look forward to his work.

Personal logo SHaT1984 Supporting Member of TMP01 Dec 2020 9:50 p.m. PST

I should say Michael I was quite disturbed by the description then illustration at first. You may have cleared that up, but I feel there is a lot of blood to flow yet.

As yet I've never seen his books, but I'm somewhat concerned by what I've seen recorded.

E.g. 1>>Aurore is a shade close to scarlet and is not a shade of yellow.
Really? I'd not place the colour it on the 'scarlet' scale ever.
'Salmon pink' is what it usually/ habitually gets referred to as, a much lower scale of red, even by Rousellot IIRC. I'd like to know what its Pantone match would be in the real world.
And then apparently a self-contradiction, citing aurore, but then explaining all about yellow lace and what we've shown here. Call me confuzzed.

E.g. 2>>The revers are pink, as are the cuff facings and tail lining with green epaulettes …

Really? I'd place that colour [plate] on the mid-crimson side, not pink. And "tail lining"- don't we call those the retroussis or turnbacks 'en anglaise', because thats where that material comes from.

And referencing "epaulettes" after "tail lining" isn't clever. While the habite is implied, how is someone ignorant of the actual clothing design supposed to know?

Notes-
3- good to see the preponderance of grenadiers with white cords and racquettes, far from the 'impression' of always being red (scarlet).
4- drummer of the 59e could be anywhere, I see nothing in that uniform that couldn't have been European, so where/ why the citation about 'Peninsular' dress.
5- maybe I have to paint a voltigeur drummer now for my 75e!

Well, let's see where this ensemble travels…
regards d

von Winterfeldt01 Dec 2020 10:39 p.m. PST

Who made the colour drawings`?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.