Help support TMP

"Brush on Dullcote ?" Topic

21 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Showcase Article

Coverbinding at Staples

How does coverbinding work?

Current Poll

759 hits since 19 Oct 2020
©1994-2021 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ten Fingered Jack20 Oct 2020 4:21 a.m. PST

Owing to the scarcity and consequent high price of Testor's spray Dullcote, I bought a couple of bottles of liquid Dullcote. Does anyone have any tips on it's use? Particularly brush clean up and comparison to the spray? The tiny script on the label doesn't have any instructions as to clean up.

Schogun20 Oct 2020 4:32 a.m. PST

I believe it's lacquer, so you'll need lacquer thinner.

Here's a link to a good review:
link

Sgt Slag20 Oct 2020 5:01 a.m. PST

I would suggest using a 30-pack of 'school paint brushes,' from Wal-Mart, or a similar store. They typically sell for around a Dollar a pack. Use once, and throw away, but do batch applications, to get the most out of each brush.

I use these for applying The Dip/Magic Wash. I wait until I have a lot of figures (typically 10+), then I do them all at once. It needs to be applied, liberally, so there is no finesse required. Just slop it on, one after another. Inexpensive, quick, and no clean-up. Dab away any pools, with either the brush, or the edge of a paper towel. Cheers!

Ten Fingered Jack20 Oct 2020 5:05 a.m. PST

"It needs to be applied, liberally" The dip or the Dullcote?

7th Va Cavalry20 Oct 2020 5:22 a.m. PST

I can't find Dullkote either. Where did you find the liquid version. Windsor Newton has a spray matte finish but it's very expensive.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 5:26 a.m. PST

Windsor is a great value ounce for ounce. I swear by it now.

nnascati Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 5:42 a.m. PST

Personally, I've used Mod Podge matte varnish for years, I've always had good results.

Personal logo Wolfshanza Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 6:45 a.m. PST

Went from dullkote to windsor a year or two ago. It's more expensive but the can is larger and works great ! Get it from Blick. I always buy a couple at a time.

Ten Fingered Jack20 Oct 2020 7:33 a.m. PST

HAH! I just dug out an unopened spray can of Army Painter Anti Shine Matt Varnish that's been languishing in my spray bin. Tried it out & it has the same results as Dullcote.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 8:33 a.m. PST

Yes, but do they smell as nice as Dullcote?
I love the smell of Dullcote in the morning.

Personal logo McKinstry Supporting Member of TMP Fezian20 Oct 2020 9:06 a.m. PST

Windsor is a great value ounce for ounce. I swear by it now.

Agreed. My absolute 'go to' although as a lazy gentleman, I'll grab a can of Dullcote on the rare occasion I find it in my FLGS.

cabin4clw20 Oct 2020 9:26 a.m. PST

What about Krylon Matte?

Ten Fingered Jack20 Oct 2020 11:32 a.m. PST

John the OFM,
No it doesn't.

dragon6 Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 12:03 p.m. PST

I'm with cabin4clw Krylon matte spray is very good.

If you prefer brush on matte I find DecoArt DuraClear Ultra-Matte great and it's water based so brush cleanup is easy.

Sgt Slag20 Oct 2020 12:43 p.m. PST

I would suggest liberal application of both The Dip, and matte clear coat. Cheers!

jwebster Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 1:17 p.m. PST

Comment on using throw away brushes – if they're really cheap, sometimes the hairs come out, so double check your minis afterwards

John

abelp0120 Oct 2020 1:54 p.m. PST

+1 dragon6

Major General Stanley20 Oct 2020 2:04 p.m. PST

Vallejo varnish works well too. Ive had one can of army painter that was excellent an then one can that wasn't very flat at all, despite shaking the living daylights out of it.

Rich P Supporting Member of TMP20 Oct 2020 6:36 p.m. PST

I've used Krylon matte spray for years and it seems fine. I don't notice any difference with Testor's dullcote spray. Plus the discount coupons from Michael's crafts store make it a good $ deal.

doc mcb20 Oct 2020 7:08 p.m. PST

I get the sponge brushes for applying the dip and throw it away after. No worry about loose bristles.

Sgt Slag21 Oct 2020 7:44 a.m. PST

Been using the 'school paint brushes' for 15+ years. The bristles are plastic. If they should come out, they are coarse, black, and very obvious. I've tugged on them, before pitching in the garbage: they are tough to pull out! Still, you raise a valid point to be aware of the possibility -- not all cheap brushes are created equal. Cheers!

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.