Help support TMP

"HYW campaign map or ideas?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

Areas of Interest

Medieval

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Profile Article

The Gates of Old Jerusalem

The gates of Old Jerusalem offer a wide variety of scenario possibilities.

Featured Movie Review

202 hits since 16 Oct 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

knight4d516 Oct 2020 9:20 p.m. PST

Hi all, this is my first post, long time viewer but just recently decided to make an account, anyway on to my question. does anyone know of any rule sets that allow a pretty in depth campaign system that is set in the HYW, i have found the board game "the hundred year war" but cant seem to find a copy of the rules or game to buy. im planning on using lion rampant for my rule set and the fan made add-on for sieges for lion rampant. but id like something a little more in depth. my goal is to play the smaller engagements that happened in the war, between free companies and local lords or even local towns trying to hold out long enough from the Chevauchees. thanks for reading and look forward to hearing from the community

Wargamorium16 Oct 2020 10:52 p.m. PST

There is a Impetus supplement number 1 which has a simple campaign set for chevauchées during the HYW. I am sure this would suit your requirements.

link

Regards

Thresher01 Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2020 11:38 p.m. PST

Henry V conducted a lot of raids, attacks, and a number of sieges in order to weaken those in France, so that would be a decent option too.

Not sure I've run across any campaign rules to represent that, or a boardgame, but surely there must be more than one.

I did find a couple of magazines today – old Wargames Illustrated ones with campaign info in them for running linked games in the early Italian Wars, around 1500, or so. I'll have to look to see which ones they were. As I recall, they're 20+ years olde, and I scored a steep discount which was wonderful, since I only had to pay $1.50 USD each for them.

I suspect there might be something similar for the HYW, from either Wargames Illustrated, and/or Miniature Wargames Magazine. If so, please let us know which edition(s), and month/year, if you are aware of them.

There might be some good on-line stuff too.

KSmyth17 Oct 2020 8:37 p.m. PST

That's a tough one, because the campaign is spread over different parts of France, with campaigns in Normandy and Poitou and then campaigns in the south of France as well. Factor in civil wars in Brittany and dynastic struggles and the campaigns overall get really interesting.

I think I'd focus on a particular campaign. There are some great books on the Crecy and Agincourt campaigns. Lots of good stuff about the great chevauchees, including 1355 and 1356 culminating with Poitiers. The 1430 siege of Orleans is interesting because it's fairly static for a long time, but breaks loose as the French begin to have success. You could also do something with the French reconquest of Normandy in 1449-50. It's a great period. Have a blast with it.

Warspite118 Oct 2020 2:49 a.m. PST

Slightly off-topic but this may help or help others.
In the past I have used the map board from Kingmaker to run a Wars of the Roses campaign and most of the Kingmaker rules as well.

link

A footnote on the wiki link says that currently (2020) a new version is undergoing play testing.

Also of interest to medieval warmers looking for a map board is Risk. Risk occurs in several versions. One currently available through English Heritage is medieval Risk which – again – is a simplified map of medieval England.

link

The later Kingmaker board does show Ireland, France and Scotland as places where players can retreat to, the Risk board is England only.

B

knight4d518 Oct 2020 4:41 p.m. PST

thanks all for the comments will have to look into the resources linked and ideas, im currently reading the hundred years war by Desmond Seward.

that English heritage risk board would be great for a WOR campaign.

I did find a couple of magazines today – old Wargames Illustrated ones with campaign info in them for running linked games in the early Italian Wars, around 1500, or so. I'll have to look to see which ones they were. As I recall, they're 20+ years olde, and I scored a steep discount which was wonderful, since I only had to pay $1.50 USD USD each for them.

Thresher01 would you mind letting me know what the wargames illustrated releases with the Italian wars campaign rule in them? i might just use those but a different map and slight tweaks for time period and such
thanks

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.