Help support TMP

"The End of FDM for Terrain??" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the 3D Printing Message Board

Action Log

15 Oct 2020 8:13 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to Terrain and Scenics board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

Transporting the Simians

How to store and transport an army of giant apes?

Current Poll

Featured Book Review

752 hits since 15 Oct 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Albus Malum15 Oct 2020 6:12 p.m. PST

Watched a Youtube video, and while the video wasnt about the End of FDM, what he was doing with his new larger Resin printer is the beginning of the end for people printing terrain on FMD printers.

YouTube link

With the new generation of larger affordable Resin printers com
ing onto the market, I can see the day where most people will be printing their terrain peices on resin printers. The quality is so much nicer. THink he stated about a 1/2 of the time to print as a fdm. Actually running a resin printer is so much more convenient then a fdm. ( some may argue with that) But my Resin printer has never gone down yet, my fdm always has some issue. Only thin needed is for a source of cheaper resins and any cost difference would disappear also. (note: one would not print his terrain pieces solid, but hollow). anyways, I think people are going to be seeing a lot more Resin printed terrain in the near future!

UshCha15 Oct 2020 11:59 p.m. PST

to be honest is like the old upgrading HI HF systems or computors or chasing the uWhite Wale. Some folk will be forever chasing the best long after its neccessary. To me FDM is perfectly acceptable, it's safe, clean no liquid, so is ideal in the Wale. But each to there own.

Jozis Tin Man16 Oct 2020 7:26 a.m. PST

I'll keep running my Ender 3 for terrain probably until is falls apart. But… I may try resin eventually

Sajiro16 Oct 2020 7:50 a.m. PST

I think we're a ways off before resin completely overtakes FDM. I love my resin printer, but for tanks or terrain the most cost effective print is still FDM.

Royal Air Force Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2020 3:14 p.m. PST

I love both my printers, but with FDM, I don't have to spend time supporting a model, wear gloves, or worry about ventilation

Lascaris17 Oct 2020 7:52 a.m. PST

I just started in FDM so I don't see myself transitioning to resin any time soon. Also, my printer is inside the house so I'd have to figure out some way to wedge it into my garage so the fumes weren't an annoyance. I'm quite happy with FDM for terrain and, as I don't have a desire at the moment to print figures, I'll stick with what I have.

Personal logo Bashytubits Supporting Member of TMP17 Oct 2020 8:22 a.m. PST

FDM is not going anywhere. It will continue to be a hobby mainstay. However with developments like this Resin is going to get a real shot in the arm. Man, another thing on my must buy list, sheesh.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.