Help support TMP

"rapid fire reloaded" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Rules Message Board

Areas of Interest

World War Two on the Land

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Showcase Article

Featured Profile Article

Return to El Alamein [Flames of War]

Paul Glasser replays the Battle of El Alamein - this time, as a British infantry officer.

603 hits since 15 Oct 2020
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

blank frank15 Oct 2020 4:20 a.m. PST

I note that Rapid Fire! have rebooted their rules and at a fiver! I've just ordered a copy. Anyone played them yet?

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 6:07 a.m. PST

I have a copy on order, along with the new version of the Market-Garden book, from On Military Matters here in the States. Just remember the Rapid Fire Reloaded is just the basic rules. They are offering it free with those ordering the full set of rules. It does sound like it may include clarifications, errata and an update to the basic section so looking forward to it. Guess this is somewhat of a compromise for not issuing Rapid Fire 3rd edition yet. Still hoping for that since many of the questions or issues are on the more advanced rules.

parrskool Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 6:22 a.m. PST

Hmmm….. if I have the original rules, plus the second version…. are these different enough to be worth adding ?

Big Red Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 7:09 a.m. PST

I have the same question as parrskool.

Col Durnford Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 7:46 a.m. PST

A few years ago I asked the same question before buying the second edition. The answer I got back then was that the 3rd edition was not really going to be that different from the 2nd.

lkmjbc315 Oct 2020 7:48 a.m. PST

I just received them.
They are a cut down version of Rapid Fire! with a few new mechanics to speed play.

The following list is in no particular order and certainly isn't complete…

1. No more light damage for tanks… just Damaged and Destroyed… a roll of 1-2 is now no effect.

2. No Charts for tank gun vs tank. Instead, tank armor is a number rather than a letter. A simple formula calcs the hit number. Of course, this is the way everyone did it before. Little is changed here.

3. Infantry fire is now almost "tableless"… You get 1xd6 for every two figs firing… rounded down. Machine Guns get from 2-5 dice. You hit depending on range…3+ for short, 4+ for medium, 5+ for long. Soft cover subtracts 1. Hard subtracts 2.

4. Artillery is the same…getting 2-5 d6.

5. No grenades… we didn't use them anyway.

6. Close Assault is simplified.

7. Morale is down to just tests for breaks…

etc…

These I think are being marketed as intro or large game rules. They would work great for participation games at conventions. You don't really need any charts for them.

You can easily bolt-on any of the Rapid Fire! expanded or advanced rules… Ammo Supply, Air Support, anti-tank grenades to your personal taste.

Joe Collins

parrskool Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 7:51 a.m. PST

Ta. Still not sure……

lkmjbc315 Oct 2020 8:01 a.m. PST

I may use the new infantry fire resolution in our Rapid Fire games. I need to do some math. One of the features that I liked using the tables is how a roll of "1" was usually no effect. I am somewhat concerned that the new system will generate infantry on too regular a probability curve.

I also like the tables… they are somewhat of throwback to earlier times.

My concerns may however be misplaced.

Joe Collins

Col Durnford Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 10:24 a.m. PST

I have just ordered Rapid Fire Reloaded. The total cost shipped to the U.S. came out at $11.94 USD

I'm looking forward to seeing it soon.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2020 11:37 a.m. PST

Interesting, may be worthwhile substituting for same sections in full rules. As I read what you said lkmjbc3 then infantry and machine guns can't cause any casualties on targets in hard cover at long range, interesting.

lkmjbc315 Oct 2020 2:04 p.m. PST

My synopsis was too brief.
They actually can cause casualties.
On a roll of a 6 a further roll is taken… 4,5,6 produces a casualty.

Joe Collins

blank frank20 Oct 2020 3:08 a.m. PST

I found Rapid Fire 2 suddenly having too many rules and photos in the presentation, and a complex move sequence. RF reloaded is a fresh look at the game and fans can take and use which elements they like. I have always used strict hidden deployment and the order system from the RF Russian front supplement.I think they would work well for big 1/300th games.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.